PDA

View Full Version : UV effects on sil-nylon

Earl Grey
04-12-2008, 12:03
I plan on using a silnylon tent at the beach soon and was wondering if its ok if I set it up in the middle of the day. What happens to silnylon if its left in the sun too long? Should I wait until later in the day when the suns angle isnt quiet so direct?

mudhead
04-12-2008, 13:07
I have wondered this also. I bet time at altitude would be far harsher, but I hope one of the science types can expound on this!

jlb2012
04-12-2008, 13:37
the following is a joke - its only a joke:

since you are at the beach just spray on some sun screen to protect the nylon

the above was a joke - had this been a real posting there would have been some informational content - but this was only a joke - and now back to your regularly scheduled discussion

Tinker
04-13-2008, 00:07
Nylon (untreated) is very sensitive to UV rays. The silicone treatment applied to silnylon usually has UV resistant chemicals added to minimize damage. Contact the manufacturer of your tarp or tent to find out what their recommendations are.

hammock engineer
04-13-2008, 21:04
If you are only doing it a few times, you should be ok. Over and over, probibly not. If in doubt a cheap tarp for one trip wouldn't be bad.

GGS2
04-13-2008, 23:25
Yeah, the base plastics (except silicone, maybe urethane, mostly) are usually quite susceptible to UV degradation, especially in thin material. UV protection comes from pigments that block it either by reflection or absorption. The absorber will eventually also degrade, so UV will get you in the end. Carbon black is one of the best absorbers.

Polyethelene is quite resistant, which is why plastic bottles and such last indefinitely in the ocean and lying around on the ground. Tyvec is made of PE.

So, get UV resistant grade materials, which will usually be colored. But it's better not to leave your tents, ropes, bags etc. lying around in the sun if you don't need them at the time. They will last longer in the shade.

Fluorinated plastics are quite UV resistant as a group. Teflon, Tefzel, polyimides and such. Not terribly useful for tents, though.

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2008, 23:41
Wow - the previous post was a complicated answer. Do what I did take an inexpensive tent UV treated and set it up RIGHT NOW! in a shaded area. In the fall come back and enjoy counting all the HOLES.

UV sucks the life out of tents.

Tents are temporary shelters and 1 on the beach is great to protect your stuff and then --ffffbbbbbttttt.

atraildreamer
04-14-2008, 12:12
the following is a joke - its only a joke:

since you are at the beach just spray on some sun screen to protect the nylon

the above was a joke - had this been a real posting there would have been some informational content - but this was only a joke - and now back to your regularly scheduled discussion

What SPF rating? :-? :D :banana