PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles - Baskets?

Summit
04-12-2008, 12:11
Since I'm new to using trekking poles, would like to hear from long-time users as to whether you use the baskets on the AT or not? From what I hear (never having hiked it), Maine may be where you'd want them due to bogs and mud, but I primarily hike GA,NC,VA.

10-K
04-12-2008, 12:22
Since I'm new to using trekking poles, would like to hear from long-time users as to whether you use the baskets on the AT or not? From what I hear (never having hiked it), Maine may be where you'd want them due to bogs and mud, but I primarily hike GA,NC,VA.

I've picked up several along the way.

Summit
04-12-2008, 12:28
I've picked up several along the way.I've seen them and now that I have my own, I'll be picking them up too! :D I wonder whether most are forgotten, pop off unnoticed, or are abandoned?

Sly
04-12-2008, 13:27
Yes you should use baskets for two reasons. Your poles won't sink in the mud and it lessens impact.

Lyle
04-12-2008, 13:45
Personally, I only use the baskets in snow. During most of the hiking year, they tend to grab onto any brush or grass, making bringing them forward more of an effort. Don't see much benefit except in real sloppy mud, and they probably don't do a lot of good there, so I would just put em away in those rare instances.

Rain Man
04-12-2008, 16:04
... I primarily hike GA,NC,VA.

Me too so far and hiking pole baskets do nothing but catch on things. They are a nuisance. Took mine off long ago and have never had an urge to put them back on.

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
04-12-2008, 19:48
Liked having mine in Maine (I bought new poles in Gorham).

Quoddy
04-12-2008, 20:16
Probably the only times, other than snow conditions, I've appreciated having small baskets on my poles, was crossing swampy areas on narrow punchions. I've had my poles sink in a couple of feet without them.

Summit
04-12-2008, 20:26
I just removed mine today. Stowed them in an easy to get to place in my pack, so I can use them when conditions warrant. Appreciate the feedback! ;) Counting down the days (5) 'til my Foothills Trail hike (75 mi.) and can't wait! :)

10-K
04-12-2008, 20:30
I just removed mine today. Stowed them in an easy to get to place in my pack, so I can use them when conditions warrant. Appreciate the feedback! ;) Counting down the days (5) 'til my Foothills Trail hike (75 mi.) and can't wait! :)

Looking forward to your trip report Summit. The FHT is on my short list of hikes - probably this fall after all the pit vipers retire. ;)

Summit
04-12-2008, 20:46
after all the pit vipers retire. ;)It's supposed to warm up late this week and during my week on the trail, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the creepy crawlers! :eek: I will definitely give a report on my return.