PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze T-shirts design

attroll
01-30-2004, 23:23
This is step one. Before we can pick the material for the shirt we have to pick a design.

We could have a logo either on the left front pocket are or on the left sleeve.

This is up to you all. I will throw my two cents in though. I forsee that if you are going to use this as a hiking shirt a problem with the logo on the front left pocket area. I don't know how well a printed logo will last with the shoulder straps rubbing on them.

If we have the logo on the left arm sleeve then I can not forsee any issues.

Just because I am putting these two options up for a vote does not mean it is written in stone. If someone can come up with something better that everyone agrees on then let us hear about it. This is not a dictatorship. I don't like making all the decissions.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

MedicineMan
01-30-2004, 23:53
the 'standard' for for t-shirts is a small logo on the left front area and a large duplicate on the back....i know i know you wont see it if you are wearing a pack but then there are the times when you are hanging out in town, not hiking, taking a trip, etc.etc. I just think this layout is the way a good looking t-shirt is done.

attroll
01-31-2004, 00:26
If we wer going to have a large duplicate on the back. How would we do that without making the logo to elongated. Unless we came up with something on the back besides the logo?

Rain Man
01-31-2004, 00:35
If we wer going to have a large duplicate on the back. How would we do that without making the logo too elongated. Unless we came up with something on the back besides the logo?

How about putting on the back the quote from the Springer Mountain plaque? --

"APPALACHIAN TRAIL, GEORGIA TO MAINE, A Footpath for those who seek Fellowship with the Wilderness."

Rain Man

SGT Rock
01-31-2004, 01:57
Before I deployed and I was looking into this, the sleeve seemed to be the preferd place because no one wanted a logo causing a spot where sweat couldn't evaporate thus ending up with a big sweaty spot stuck to their skin. I have an Army PT shirt like this and I hate it.

MedicineMan
01-31-2004, 02:04
I still say most of these t's will be worn in town, at the mall, to the PTA meeting and so on...

highway
01-31-2004, 09:18
We could have a logo either on the left front pocket are or on the left sleeve.

Logo embroidered?
Or, logo silkscreened?
Big, big difference in the two

embroidery looks better, silkscreen may be cheaper. Once artwork is done, put it where the heck you want it on the shirts. There is a charge, though, for each separate color. There are many, many small companies set up that compete for your work so astute shopping will bring down the cost-or at least level it out.

The big cost...is the shirt itself...and just which to choose... and you are going to find that your selection is endless, almost mindboggling. Be prepared because...You will NEVER please everyone with whatever you select!

Quality. The cheaper the shirt quality the cheaper the shirt price. Do you cut here to keep the cost down?...and get a sub-standard one which want hold up? Or go for a better one-which costs more-and which you may not sell.

Another big question is...just how many?? the more you buy, the cheaper the unit price. But you will never get it correctly. You will either have to many left over...or not enough..particulary as to:

Sizing...Imagine your trying to second-guess the sizes of all the people who are qoing to buy, sub-divided further by male & fermale...another next to impossible task. But do so wisely because you WILL be left with some sizes you will never sell and run out of those you bought to few of, requiring a re-order.

This is a tough job you are attempting. Prepare yourself for it.

From time to time I did this for my own company's uniform shirts because I preferred to buy them rather than rent from a uniform company. And I always hated it, because of the above... So, good luck to you. You are going to need it.

highway
01-31-2004, 09:27
If we wer going to have a large duplicate on the back. How would we do that without making the logo to elongated. Unless we came up with something on the back besides the logo?

Quite easy, just sized differently. Besides you already have the artwork done, that you used on the patch. Use that and keep it simple! It will have a different size, proportionately, depending upon where you decide to put it/them.

prozac
01-31-2004, 09:53
I would have to agree with Simva on this one. Would most likely would wear it as an around town shirt and not too much on the trail as it will probably be some form of cotton blend. I would also like to see it kept fairly simple. For example, all white lettering and logo on a green shirt, Whiteblaze.net on left pocket area with maybe large white blaze on back with some slogan. Just my 2 cents. So as to not run into a problem with over ordering, simply require prepayment before ordering. Would really hate to see you get stuck financially on this one ATTroll.

tlbj6142
01-31-2004, 10:30
I would have to agree with Simva on this one. Would most likely would wear it as an around town shirt and not too much on the trail as it will probably be some form of cotton blend.Ditto. Unless you find a poly shirt, it will be non-trail shirt. Most of the t-shirts shops don't even carry poly T-shirts. Sometimes you can find poly golf shirts, but that's a bit more $$.
Would really hate to see you get stuck financially on this one ATTroll.Double ditto. I know you put your heart into this site, but it is just plain stupid to waste your money on t-shirts. If CafePress had a poly t-shirt (I can't find one on their list), this whole discussion would be a non-issue.

okpik
01-31-2004, 10:40
Simva brought up an important word, "Standard".

It might cost a bit more to do something different like on sleeve rather than the standard pocket thing.???? :confused:

I'll buy which ever you all choose, it will go good with the patch I put on the hem of my kilt.

attroll
01-31-2004, 12:16
Yes highway you are right the bigest cost is going to be the shirt. I already have the design done. But that was for a patch. I will need to have it done done again for this format for the initial shirt order also because they have to set up the color layers. But that only has to be done once.

I was thinking of a coolmax type of shirt. The person said he uses a type of shirt for college sports teams called "under armour". He said it was a poly mix. I looked them up on the internet but could not find what they were made of. I am suppose to call him back Monday to find out more on this. I caught him at a bad time the other day.

I was not thinking of embroidered. I thought that would be to much. Silkscreen was what I was thinking. There is a special ink that they have for sports shirts and things of that type that stretch more then regular silkscreening.

It sounds like there is going to be a tose up between hiking shirt or town shirt now. This is going to be the delima I think. If we were to put a slogan or logo on the back what would it say?

kevin
01-31-2004, 12:25
As a few others have mentioned, I'd be buying the shirt more as a walking around shirt than a hiking shirt so the impact of a pack is not that important in my mind.

I like the idea of getting prepays for the initial order as this not only helps the cash flow issue, but also the sizing. I'm an advisor for our University's finance club and we sell tshirts for fund raisers almost every year. One of the hard parts is figuring out what sizes and long vs short sleeves to order so that you're not running out of mediums while having 10 extra LS larges sitting around that no one wants. With preorders you reduce that problem.

ATN2N
01-31-2004, 12:41
Attroll:

For what it is worth, I would like a coolmax offered in both the short sleeve and long sleeve. I would buy both. I have at least 100 cotton t-shirts, none of which I plan to hike with, and why carry a town shirt which that is all you would use it for? (weight man, weight).

Many companies you buy t-shirts from will send you 20 of this type, 30 of that and so on (not just size).

Will send you some seed money to help.

Red Hat
01-31-2004, 12:58
If the price was not too outrageous, I'd prefer a wicking shirt with short sleeves. Then I would wear it the whole hike! I have a couple of shirts I got from SierraTradingPost, but they are getting pretty beat up from wearing them all the time. So I have been considering a new hiking shirt and WhiteBlaze would be great!

After placing this, I found that there is another thread on the fabric... this one is supposed to be just the design. I want the design on the sleeve so it doesn't rub.

Lilred
01-31-2004, 14:07
silkscreening.

It sounds like there is going to be a tose up between hiking shirt or town shirt now. This is going to be the delima I think. If we were to put a slogan or logo on the back what would it say?

I would wear the shirt as a town shirt. I wouldn't want to trash the shirt by hiking in it. I like the logo on the front pocket.

I'm with Rain Man for the slogan on the back being the motto of the AT.

"APPALACHIAN TRAIL, GEORGIA TO MAINE, A Footpath for those who seek Fellowship with the Wilderness". Throw in a whiteblaze on the back and that links it to the website.

I have a feeling one of these days I'll be hiking the trail, come upon a whiteblaze on a tree, and see a .net written next to it, this sight is that popular. :D

pixpusher
01-31-2004, 15:30
I just <a href="http://www.dreamscape.com/ryder/wb_logo.html" target="_new">whipped this</a> up in Photoshop.

I made it really BIG if you wanna use it.

Lemme know.

Ltrz.

Saluki Dave
01-31-2004, 19:08
I remember seeing a tee-shirt design with the Whiteblaze name and a replica blaze. Is that the one you have in mind? That one really rocks.

attroll
01-31-2004, 21:38
I remember seeing a tee-shirt design with the Whiteblaze name and a replica blaze. Is that the one you have in mind? That one really rocks.

The only one I remember that we talked about earlier was this one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=616&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

MedicineMan
01-31-2004, 23:09
1. no problem with pre-order money
2. pixpush...awesome graphic but make the walkway curved
3. coolmax makes a great town shirt/trail shirt
4. most users will want shortsleeve
5. we love Sgt Rock but few will actually want the logo on a sleeve (IMHO)
6. will we have a copyright issue with "APPALACHIAN TRAIL, GEORGIA TO MAINE, A Footpath for those who seek Fellowship with the Wilderness"....seems like someone (ATC maybe??) owns that
7. look to my latest thread for a more adventurous idea for Attrol

screwysquirrel
02-01-2004, 02:38
The only one I remember that we talked about earlier was this one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=616&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2
Don't use that one as it looks like a crumpled up feminine hygiene article. I like the one pixpusher made up. And I would like a coolmax long sleeved one.

Zzzzdyd
02-01-2004, 03:03
Just offer some patchs ? I would personally like a shirt good enough to hike in. I am not into profiling for the general public. But I would wear a good quality hiking shirt with a nice pretty patch on it almost anywhere. I think the left sleave is the place I would put a patch. But If I could get just a patch I might put one on my pack too. Move my left sleave patch to the right side after I complete my thru-hike. Kind of like we did combat patchs in the Army.

Just trying to give some more food for thought before the dust settles..

SGT Rock
02-01-2004, 09:48
Good idea, I like it.

My plan was more of an embroidery on coolmax idea. Afte some research I found that sik screen and coolmax didn't work well. Iron on does, but of course iron on using a cool iron to a synthetic means it won't last long. so a patch or embroidery for a synthetic appeared to be the only good solution anyway.

DeBare
02-01-2004, 11:55
what is a good hiking shirt?

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2004, 12:29
If it was a poly like my AT-FTA-ADK shirts I would like it on the sleeve as I actuall can wear them on the trail.

If it is cotton then on the pocket as it would only get worn in town.

(As for embroidery my ADK shirts started that way but they were discontinued due to price and the fact that the embroidery is to heavy for the lightwt poly shirts.)

Hammock Hanger

Mr. Clean
02-01-2004, 12:36
Definitely cool max or other, No one needs another cotton shirt. Short sleeve, and I will prepay. Now, logo placement seems to be an issue. I'm not sure I can buy the idea of only wearing it around the mall, why not get the shirt to wear all the time. And for this reason I'm not sure about the logo where the pack will rub it off. Will it rub off? Anyone know? I'm going to go with the sleeve and the back so a logo can be seen all the time, either while hiking, on the sleeve, or around camp or the mall when on the back. Just my two cents.

JimSproul
02-01-2004, 13:46
Just make sure you price them as a source of "funding" not a cash drain. I am pretty happy with my current trail clothes so fabric does not matter much to me. I would buy one or two.

One of our companies has dress shirts with collar made with their logo. If folks would like help support this web site with an embroidered "golf shirt" or a dress shirt I can get them made without setup charges. There would be no minimum order. Would that interest anybody?

They could be made like the site logo or whatever design you come up with for the t-shirts. Let me know. I can find out about coolmax or cotton/poly blends.

Kerosene
02-04-2004, 12:42
I asked a soccer buddy and hiking partner who owns an embroidery and printing firm for his opinion on material and logo. Perhaps we can compare his quote with the source JimSproul offers to see what can be done. Avoiding minimums and setup charges is attractive, as long as the supplier commits to a quality product.

CoolMax: This 100% polyester fabric requires a special (read expensive) transfer to order to print, and it is difficult to maintain good, long-lasting quality. CoolMax is going after the retail market where printing is not generally required, which is why the price is also quite high.

Dry Release: This is a 85/15 Poly/Cotton blend that theoretically has good wicking properties at a much lower cost (of course, you'd be hard pressed to find any scientific comparisons of these products). They're about half the cost of a CoolMax T, and hold a design much better without a special transfer.

I will be getting a free sample shirt from the supplier and will check it out next week to see what it feels like and get a quick idea of how it behaves under stress.

It's not clear to me what design is being considered, but recognize that each additional color in the design adds cost. My buddy offered to take a design and simplify to reduce cost if we want to. I think the challenge here is that WhiteBlaze buyers want good/great performance without spending a fortune.

Jaybird
02-08-2004, 10:45
This is step one. Before we can pick the material for the shirt we have to pick a design.We could have a logo either on the left front pocket are or on the left sleeve.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

i agree with Rain Man:

How about putting on the back the quote from the Springer Mountain plaque? --
"APPALACHIAN TRAIL, GEORGIA TO MAINE, A Footpath for those who seek Fellowship with the Wilderness."

the WhiteBlaze logo on front pocket area (do we have to have a pocket?)...& something huge (logo or slogan) on back! :D

see ya'll UP the trail!

knightjh
02-08-2004, 12:09
I just <a href="http://www.dreamscape.com/ryder/wb_logo.html" target="_new">whipped this</a> up in Photoshop.

I made it really BIG if you wanna use it.

Lemme know.

Ltrz.
that looks really really cool :clap :clap :clap

attroll
02-08-2004, 12:16
If we end up getting a coolmax style shirt and put a big design on the back it will lose its breathablilty. Plus I don't know about the design being able to stretch. Being a big design on the back of coolmax could cause it to stretch and crack I would think. I like the idea of having it on the back but that was my concern.

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 10:26
Yea.....Shirt Design. I think if you're going to hike in this shirt, it should be made of polypro, 1st off. Then, in order for the Logo to be effective, a small Whiteblaze design should be sewn on to the left sleave, just above the seam at the end. The material of the Logo should have a soft hand, just as the shirt should. That's the hiking shirt design. The cotton (town shirt) should have a screened Logo on the front. If you can only do one, do the hiker shirt (it's more important?). Both these designs should be done on a colored shirt (alpine green, sky blue - low impact. One of the colors in the Logo design) for effective coordination. Thats my 03 cent worth. KZ@

swamp dawg
11-14-2004, 14:13
I remember from a marketing class that logos on the front are noticed more. The theory is that you meet more people coming toward than you pass.
Life is good .....Swamp Dawg

attroll
11-14-2004, 18:14
I remember from a marketing class that logos on the front are noticed more. The theory is that you meet more people coming toward than you pass.
Life is good .....Swamp Dawg
You are very correct. That is why we did put the logo on the front for our cotton T-shirts. If we ever get our hiking shirts done we will be putting the logo on the left sleeve. The reason being is because they will be hiking shirts of some type of quick dry material. The other reason is because if you are wearing a pack your traps will cover the logo so you would not be able to see it. If it were on the left sleeve then anyone coming in the oposite direction or passing you would see it.

grrickar
11-14-2004, 19:41
I like the idea of having it on the back but that was my concern.
If the design is on the back no one can see it while hiking - the pack will cover it. If the vote is for a design on the back, I'd like to see a smaller design on the shoulder or breast of the shirt so people can easily recognize WhiteBlazer's, even if the pack covers the larger design.

attroll
11-14-2004, 19:48
The design on the back was only meant for the town cotton shirts because they were to wear in town or anywhere else. The hiking shirt will only have the WhiteBlaze logo on the left sleeve. There would be no sense in putting the same graphic on the back as the town shirt has.

Catsgoing
02-06-2005, 14:00
:-? Since I am a women I hate to have a pocket over my boob with a logo on it!

:p And I hate black T Shirts.......

:jump Hot Pink Would Be Cool :D Just Kidding!

:banana Greatful Dead Tie Dye and the logo on the front but no pocket.

:eek: Just No Pocket they are for office workers and smokers. To carry things they don't need. Remember Ultra Light! :sun

MedicineMan
02-06-2005, 23:00
front pockets on t-shirts are for beer bellie billy bobs to keep their smokes in (no offense to any who smoke)...
The best t-shirt designs have a small logo on front and a large logo on the back....go ahead and put one on the sleeve and money up front is no problem just dont redneck the shirt with a pocket on the front.........

cutman11
02-07-2005, 01:21
After reading all the posts, it seems you might be best to sell 2 shirts: one cotton town shirt with the whiteblaze logo on the left front and on the back the AT emblem/mantra, and one coolmax shirt for hiking in with the logo on the left sleeve. Would it make sense to put the AT symbol in the diamond shape (like on the maps/signs along the trail) on the right sleeve?

MileMonster
02-07-2005, 09:10
"I walked from Ga to ME and I all I got was snow, sleet, rain, hungry, dirty, blisters, sad, tired, pain, determined, confidence, friends, sun, peace, joy, and this stinking t-shirt. No, seriously, it really, really stinks."

StarLyte
02-07-2005, 09:19
Keep the T-shirt simple !!!! The whiteblaze is nice, don't put the "I" at the top of it. The whiteblaze itself, and the word whiteblaze.net under it is nice. Put it in the center of the t-shirt, right between my boobs. Don't put the ATC logo on the back either---We see it all the time--it's beautiful of course, but not necessary. Now, how do I order?