PDA

View Full Version : May Start?

cyclendo
04-12-2008, 12:19
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of planning a thru-hike tentatively scheduled for 2010, following my college graduation. So far it's me and a couple of buddies and we're pretty pumped about it.

I'm wondering what people think about starting a (North Bound) thru in mid May. Is this too late? We're planning to hike pretty quickly (We can comfortably hike 20 miles/day) and we're familiar with the territory in NH/ME areas. Opinions?

Cheers,
tyler

A-Train
04-12-2008, 14:18
You'll be fine. Mid May gives you 5 whole months until Baxter "closes". That's plenty of time to enjoy yourself, take some days off and not feel overly rushed. This is only 15 mpd average (though days off will increase that number). Keep the packs light, start in shape and you'll be fine. Also the long days will benefit you.

One drawback is that your window for "what ifs" is smaller than those starting in March and April. If you're going with a couple buddies, there's a decent chance someone could get injured, sick, etc. and you won't have lots of extra time to spare.

Go for it and PM me if you have any questions. I was 19 when I hiked and walked the trail in 5 months.

fiddlehead
04-12-2008, 17:15
I started one of my thru's on May 10th or 15th (don't remember exactly)
It was a great time to start. Not many people, except those who decided to go slow and not worry about completing the whole trail but just enjoy themselves everyday.
Didn't really catch the "pack" until New England. that was just fine with me.
Finished Oct 10th that year i believe. A great time to finish also.

Blissful
04-12-2008, 19:42
You'll need to be conscientious sticking to more of a schedule, so to speak, but hey, if that's when you can do it, go for it. But be warned - the mid Atlantic will be murder with the heat and humidity.

Scaper
04-12-2008, 20:45
Mid May is not to late to start a thru hike. I started my hike on May 5 and finished on Oct. 9. My best advice is start off slow until you are able to do more miles. There are advantages of starting then. Shelters won't be as full at the start of your hike. The weather will be warmer. Hikers who start in January and Feb. won't see spring in the mountains until reaching PA. On my hike the temp. fell below freezing maybe 7 or 8 days. The heat didn't bother me but I am used to working outside. Average high temps. at Big Meadows in SNP in July is in the 70's. You see the fall colors in New England. Disadvantages are you won't have as much time for your hike. The bugs will be worse. they didn't bother me much. The whites will be overun with Darthmonth freshmen and countless other schools. in Sept. If I was to hike the trail again I would start first week in May once again. Jim

clured
04-12-2008, 21:49
Yeah, I think May is a good time. I started May 16 last year. Scaper is right about the warmth - it means that you can get away with not carrying large amounts of bulky, heavy cold-weather clothing. I left Springer with a Nylon shirt, shorts, and a single-layer rain shell, and didn't carry any other clothes until the Whites. If you plan on hiking even somewhat quickly, May isn't just alright, but maybe even preferable, imho.

mts4602
04-12-2008, 22:32
Hey Cyclendo,

I'm in the same situation as you....thinking on starting beginnning of may 2009.

Mid may seems like it's getting late but if you hike as fast as you say, you shouldn't have a problem.

Just go for it.

Philippe
04-12-2008, 22:47
All very interesting. I'm starting mid-May this year, and you've answered a number of my questions. I don't have to hurry at all, because I'm aiming at Boiling Springs this year, and the rest in 09.

Tennessee Viking
04-13-2008, 01:16
Technically Baxter doesn't close for entry. It closes its campsites in October. And the hike up to the terminus has to be done during the day when weather is permissable.

But you will definitely be hiking at a good pace. And should just be getting off the taller peaks and onto the ridgetops by the start of summer

dessertrat
04-13-2008, 12:12
You'll be fine if you don't stop to party in towns. Get in and out and keep walking, and it should be fine.

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 12:28
May is the perfect time to start or consider a trip of this nature. Good luck.

cyclendo
04-13-2008, 13:01
Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm sure we'll have some more questions as we get closer to liftoff.

Thanks,
tyler

Pathfinder
04-04-2009, 23:14
I'm planning on starting in late May and it looks as if I should make it as long as I don't get hurt or something like that.

DapperD
04-05-2009, 00:01
I'm planning on starting in late May and it looks as if I should make it as long as I don't get hurt or something like that.The guys that did the AT documentary "TREK" left May 1st I believe and they made it, however they appear to have had to hike through some really hot and humid weather.

Kirby
04-05-2009, 07:57
Should have no problem.

dianamichelle
05-28-2009, 00:27
Hey Tyler--- I am also planning on starting northbound in May 2010. I am hoping to walk in graduation ceremonies on May 17 and fly to GA asap afterwards. I just assumed it would take me 4.5 to 5 months to finish it but now I am thinking that is to late? Have you spoken to many other people that have started in mid-May?

appalachianjosh
05-29-2009, 16:46
"Technically Baxter doesn't close for entry. It closes its campsites in October. And the hike up to the terminus has to be done during the day when weather is permissable."

Can somebody please verify this information for me? Because if this is true, that would be absolutely amazing.

appalachianjosh
05-29-2009, 16:46
Also, fellow NOBO May hiker here! I hope to see everyone on the trail and we can all be late hikers together :)

stranger
05-30-2009, 10:30
I left 9 April last year thinking the majority of hikers would be well ahead by then, I was wrong. There were substantial crowds as far north as Damascus, but it was thinning out to some degree.

I will be going nobo again from Springer again next year and I'm thinking of starting 20-25 April just to behind the hordes of hikers. I think early May would be a good time to start because nearly all of the cold weather should be gone by then, and if not you are probably only talking about 2 weeks of potential cold weather. Saying that, there are some beautiful aspects of cold weather, and I love snow, just not for days on end, not anymore atleast.

Also, as noted earlier, starting in May means a lighter load due to less cold weather, longer hours of daylight that hikers in March don't have and if you are doing 20's as you catch nobo's alot of hikers will have already dropped out.
Now you got me thinking about waiting til May!