PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel in Rural Retreat???

Terry7
04-12-2008, 16:09
Does anyone know anything about a new hostel in Rural Retreat Va.?

Lugnut
04-12-2008, 17:20
Warren Doyle was trying to sell a place just past I-81 that would have been perfect. Maybe he opened one or sold it to someone else and they did. :-?

Peanut
09-27-2008, 00:00
Some friends and I stayed at a new hostel in Rural Retreat this past April or May on our thru hike...I think it was called something like the Hike and Bike Hostel, although I'm not sure. I was actually looking for an address for it, too, if anyone would be able to help me. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
09-27-2008, 05:47
Some friends and I stayed at a new hostel in Rural Retreat this past April or May on our thru hike...I think it was called something like the Hike and Bike Hostel, although I'm not sure. I was actually looking for an address for it, too, if anyone would be able to help me. Thanks!

Happy Hiker Hollow Hostel
276-783-3754

Lone Wolf
09-27-2008, 05:49
Happy Hiker Hollow Hostel
276-783-3754

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41058&highlight=happy+hiker+hollow+hostel

rambunny
10-03-2008, 07:17
Rural Retreat Hike and Bike Hostle is 6 miles from the trail they provide bunks and a key to get a shower elsewhere.They are on the 76 bikeway so primarily they help bikers . They use volunteers to pick up hikers. A good place to hit if you want to go to church on Sun. Contact Randy Ruble 276-686-5070. We are 1 mile from Settler's Museum and 1 mile from Rt.11. The AT abutts our property. We offer beds,showers,internet, free long distance calls,shuttling, slackpacking,AYCE meals laundry and hiker box,long term safe parking.We can accomadate 8 hikers at this time so reservations are reccomended. Hikers with dogs will soon have a camper on the hill to stay in.We just opened in Aug. so we're learning. Happy Hiker Hollow Hostle 276=783-3754. By the way there are no hostle wars for over 100 miles here we all support one another.And we have over 10,000 miles of backpacking experience. And yes i did buy it from Warren who has bent over backwards to help us get going.

ric2hunt
10-06-2008, 19:59
Stayed at the Happy Hiker Hostel last week before starting a week long hike.

What a place. Rambunny was great!! The breakfast was one of the best I have had at any hostel and the hospitality was wildly beyond expectations.

The shuttles were right on time - no waiting. Everything, including the cost was SPOT ON.

Look forward to my next hike which will definately begin with an overnight stay at the Happy Hiker.

One Stick

warren doyle
10-14-2008, 13:35
Just stopped by to see Carol (Rambunny) on my way back form the Gathering. It is so nice to see this house/property transformed for the good of the AT experience.

I wish Carol and Aqua only the best and I hope this hostel brings them nothing but pleasant experiences.

And they have only just begun.....

Jeff
05-05-2009, 17:00
I am thinking this hostel will be a great success in 2009. Has anyone had the opportunity to stay overnite?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-05-2009, 17:05
Rural Retreat Hike and Bike Hostle is 6 miles from the trail they provide bunks and a key to get a shower elsewhere.They are on the 76 bikeway so primarily they help bikers . They use volunteers to pick up hikers. A good place to hit if you want to go to church on Sun. Contact Randy Ruble 276-686-5070. We are 1 mile from Settler's Museum and 1 mile from Rt.11. The AT abutts our property. We offer beds,showers,internet, free long distance calls,shuttling, slackpacking,AYCE meals laundry and hiker box,long term safe parking.We can accomadate 8 hikers at this time so reservations are reccomended. Hikers with dogs will soon have a camper on the hill to stay in.We just opened in Aug. so we're learning. Happy Hiker Hollow Hostle 276=783-3754. By the way there are no hostle wars for over 100 miles here we all support one another.And we have over 10,000 miles of backpacking experience. And yes i did buy it from Warren who has bent over backwards to help us get going.
What are your prices?

Jeff
05-05-2009, 17:16
From the 2009 Appalachian Pages:

Happy Hiker Hollow 276-783-3754 Rambunnyat(at)yahoo.com West on US 11, but do not walk in without calling ahead. Please call from truck stop near I-81/US 11 interchange, Settler’s Museum, or Partnership Shelter. Bunkhouse, private rooms, camping, swimming in a spring fed pond, and of course food! Shuttles, slackpack help, and parking for section hikers. All by suggested donation. Trail maintainers stay for free. Proprietors Rambunny and Aqua have over 10,000 miles hiking experience. Maildrops: 484 Phillipi Hollow Road, Atkins VA 24311.

tight-wad
05-07-2009, 23:17
I highly recommend the Happy Hiker Hollow Hostel run by Rambunny and Aqua on the outskirts of Atkins, Va. Rambunny has done THREE! AT thru hikes and Aqua many miles also, so they know what Thru Hikers need and want, and they provide it. Nice homey atmosphere, AYCE dinner and breakfast, and shuttles to various points. On the “old” AT, .5 miles from the new AT. Try it, you’ll like it!

Stayed there on Friday, they toted me to Damascus on Saturday, and my car was safe and secure during my hike back.

Lybarger
06-07-2009, 11:49
Anyone else stay here? Am coming thru soon.

Jeff
06-08-2009, 12:58
Have not stayed there but all reports are good. Rambunny and Aqua are 1st class.

FishBone
06-08-2009, 13:43
Just completed a 130+mile section hike from Watauga Lake to Bland, VA; used HHHH as my base of operations, staying there a total of 5 nights, and could not be more pleased! Rambunny and Aqua provided everything I could want in terms of sleeping accomodations, very tastey AYCE meals, and on-time shuttles, not to mention outstanding hospitality! At $40/night, meals included, you can't go wrong staying there! Happy Trails!

Chug
06-08-2009, 17:22
Have not stayed there but all reports are good. Rambunny and Aqua are 1st class.

They were wonderful when i stopped through. Two very memorable trail meals. (dinner and breakfast) very cozy lodging. felt like it all should have cost a lot more.