PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hyperflow

10-K
04-12-2008, 16:23
In the interest of experimentation I purchased the new MSR Hyperflow filter and plan on taking it with me Monday when I leave to hike Damascus-Erwin.

It came yesterday. Weight is 10 oz, which includes the pump, tubing, prefilter and carrying bag. Overall, I'm kinda disappointed but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

My first impression is that it is going to need more TLC than normal to stay in peak operating condition. For example, they recommend that you backflush the pump/filter 1x per day or every 8 litres of water.

To perform this task you have to take the pump apart in 2 places, reverse 2 check valves, reassemble, pump 10 strokes worth of water (which flows backwards now that you've reversed the check valves) and then take it back apart, turn the check valves around again, and reassemble.

It remains to be seen how practical all this will be.

First off, the check valves are just little pieces of rubber which if even slightly damaged will render the entire thing unusable.

Since this is going to be something that is taken apart frequently I am also concerned about the fact that all of the threads are made out of plastic. It would be pretty easy to crossthread under the right conditions I would imagine.

Also, the prefilter is pretty big and if you have a marginal water source you're definitely going to be sucking a bunch of air.

So, I'm going to take it, but I'm going to take my Steripen too just in case. It'll probably be fine but it's not confidence inspiring out of the box.

saimyoji
04-12-2008, 18:01
try not to leave it at the shelter :D

10-K
04-12-2008, 18:43
try not to leave it at the shelter :D

I think I'm cured of that.

Now I'll probably get a few miles down the trail and realize I've got someone else's trekking poles. ;)

Mrs Baggins
04-12-2008, 19:04
Well, now I"m glad I was hiking before the Hyperflow was available. I desperately wanted it but bought the Waterworks instead because the Hyperflow wasn't on the market. I was out for the past week and LOVE my MSR Waterworks! No problems, no leaks, fast pumping, easy to get started and put away, and light enough.

High Altitude
04-12-2008, 21:40
10 oz!!!!

I thought it was suppose to be around 7-7.5 oz.

At 10oz I won't be buying one.

Stir Fry
04-12-2008, 21:46
10 oz!!!!

I thought it was suppose to be around 7-7.5 oz.

At 10oz I won't be buying one.

I'm with you hiker pro is onlt 13 oz.

High Altitude
04-13-2008, 00:00
I'm with you hiker pro is onlt 13 oz.

I am still using an original sweetwater guardian (not the same filter cartridge of course). 11.5 oz.

High Altitude
04-13-2008, 00:12
10-k

Is that weight measurement with the bottle adaptor?

If so, how much does that bottle adaptor weight?

10-K
04-13-2008, 05:42
10-k

Is that weight measurement with the bottle adaptor?

If so, how much does that bottle adaptor weight?

Yep, included the bottle adapter. By itself the adapter weighs 1.3 oz.

10-K
04-13-2008, 05:48
Includes:

Pump assembly (4.9 oz)
Tubing (1.9 oz)
Prefilter (.6 oz)
Bottle Adapter (1.3 oz)
Carrying Case (1.2 oz)

I'm also going to take the instruction manual (.4 oz) because it has detailed instructions on cleaning, problems, tips, etc. so make the total carry weight for me 10.3 oz.

High Altitude
04-13-2008, 14:40
Thank you 10-k

The 7.4 spec is with out the adapter and case.

By any chance does the pump assembly WITHOUT the bottle adapter fit small bottle openings like on a platypus?

Wags
04-13-2008, 15:53
that sounds like a lot of work for water

10-K
04-13-2008, 17:57
By any chance does the pump assembly WITHOUT the bottle adapter fit small bottle openings like on a platypus?

It'd fit (90% sure - it looks like it would) but it's not threaded so there's no way to secure the pump to the platy.

10-K
04-13-2008, 17:59
that sounds like a lot of work for water

Yeah, I'm really on the fence about taking it. I'm very tempted to send it back to REI unused.

It's not exactly a confidence inspiring piece of equipment but that's based on opinion, not experience so I guess I won't know for sure without giving it a try.