PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a day pack

TFin04
04-13-2008, 00:50
I need some hard use bag ideas. My main purpose will be 24-36 hour hikes/overnight stays, but also something that can be used as a 'go bag' or something to keep in my car at all times.

I have tried a Maxpedition Falcon II, a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack and a standard hiking lumbar pack from Cabelas. I have not been very happy with any of them.

I have decided this pack needs to be a standard backpack style. I like the military bags with the many dividers and pockets, but I like the lightweight and low profile style of standard hiking gear. Problem is, there aren't many bags that offer both those features.

I need something about the size/carrying capacity of the jumbo versipack. If you're not familiar with the versipack just recommend a size that your typical minimalist hiking would use for a day or two. Holding a water bladder would be nice but comfort is my main priority.

Also, I'd like to stay within $100.

What say you?

TFin04
04-13-2008, 21:24
59 people have no opinion on a day pack?

Okay, I can limit my question a bit more.

I'm looking for a 1400 CU pack (give or take 200) and want as many dividers/pockets/tie downs/organizers as possible. I'd like it to hold a hydration bladder.

I'm currently looking at Camelbak and North Face, who both produce similar gear in this market. Any other options to look at?

Thanks!

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 21:30
I don't know what brand name to recommend but I would get a pack of about 4000 CI or so. Most internal frame packs now can be broken down into individual bags so you can just take sections of it with you. I would check for a compartmental pack from High peak, Kelty or a brand like that. Most bags between 3200-4000ci will cost between 70-100 dollars. Good luck.

TFin04
04-13-2008, 21:37
I've got a 3200 Mountainsmith pack I use for longer trips or in cold weather when I have a lot of clothing.

I'm looking for a minimal kit to use for hiking, mountainbiking and an overnight stay here and there. I think I can do that on 1400.

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 21:46
So just get like an Outdoor products pack or something. You can find one that has about 8 compartments and still fits a lot of **** for about 30 bucks. Mostly rain proof as well.

Tennessee Viking
04-14-2008, 03:36
Walmart carries a line of day packs. Real cheap with bladder pouches. Range from hydration packs to large day packs.

Old Wolf
04-14-2008, 04:19
Go to amazon.com and check out the Kemyer line of packs. All sizes at a price you cannot beat.

Peaks
04-14-2008, 07:32
Day packs? it all depends on what you want to get out of it. For years, I used a Jansport day pack, very similiar to a book bag. When the seams finally let go, I switched to an osprey day pack.

sherrill
04-14-2008, 08:00
I got this for an upcoming hike on the Inca Trail. Might be bigger than you are looking for but it definitely has the features you've described.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/JAN0313/Jansport-Odyssey-Daypack-2350cu-in.html

TFin04
04-14-2008, 11:12
I've been doing a bit more thinking and I'm not sure a 1400cu pack is going to cut it. I'm looking in the 1800-2k range now.

TFin04
04-16-2008, 10:42
I ended up with a Camelbak Rim Runner from the REI store near me. It's about 1500CU. I was looking at a 2000CU model and it was just a bit too big for what I want to do.

I have a large pack already, and I know if I buy a bigger one I'll just carry more stuff I don't need. Right now, with a tent, bag, 164oz water, misc equipment, and food for one day I'm under 20lbs and it's very comfy. Should do just fine for a 24 hour trip.

It will be used for mountainbiking a lot, so I wanted a smaller bag. I lash my tent to the bottom and will lash my sleeping pad to the outside as well, depending on which one I get. I'm thinking about getting a full size one instead of a thinner one that folds in half. Should work well.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/e7/38/205a_1.JPG