PDA

View Full Version : Do shoulder seams irritate under pack straps?

Catnip
04-13-2008, 05:35
I'm trying to decide what kind of sleeve to use for hiking shirts I'm making, so.....Does the shoulder seam at the top of your shoulder irritate your skin under the pack straps?

If so I'll look for a raglan sleeve pattern (seams angle from neckline to armpit, front and back, no center top shoulder seam).

Thanks!

Sly
04-13-2008, 10:24
Opps looks like I read it wrong (first coffee). No I haven't had the seam at the shoulder of a shirt irritate but the webbing from the pack rubbing at the side of my chest.

Original answer: I've had the problem in the past. Try adjusting the length of the shoulder strap and loosen the sternum strap if it's too tight.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-14-2008, 11:33
Luckily, no. The shoulder straps on my pack are actually pretty loose, all the weight is carried by the hip belt.

Cuffs
04-14-2008, 11:42
I have not noticed this problem, but many of my shirts are flat-seamed... The only problem I have is the bra strap bothers me. Guys, dont answer that!

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 13:38
If you're making the shirts, then yes, avoid the seam at the top of the shoulder. You might look at some hiking shirts to see how they are made.

Catnip
04-14-2008, 16:20
Thanks, all, for your experiences. I will pick up a raglan pattern, or modify what I have. And I just figured out how to do the flatlock seam on my serger (can't find the instruction book) so that will make a smoother seam.

Sly
04-14-2008, 16:27
Guys, dont answer that!

Sports bra! :D

Fat Man Walking
04-14-2008, 16:55
I have found that an Underarmour undershirt works very well. Not only to minimize rubbing but, it also absorbs sweat (sorry to all those southern belle's who don't sweat but rather perspire) and keeps me cooler. At least in the summer when I go.

mudhead
04-14-2008, 17:07
Racer back.

I vote for that anyway.

88BlueGT
04-14-2008, 17:11
I have not had this problem, I have seem people talk about it though here on the forums and complaining but personally, never had an issue. I don't use any fancy hiking shirts either.

Summit
04-14-2008, 18:05
Sports bra! :DWith a kilt for you . . . cross-dresser! :eek: :D :p

I never have had any problems with shirt seams rubbing. Now-a-days I wear synthetic T-shirts by UnderArmor almost exclusively.

Dirtygaiters
04-14-2008, 18:33
As long as they are flat-lock seams, they don't bother me no matter if they're on the top of my shoulder under a pack-strap or what. However, if you're making the shirts, you might as well go for raglan. They look nicer, IMO.

Cuffs
04-14-2008, 18:35
Sports bra! :D

No, thats not the problem... the seams/edges are thick on the straps and thats was irritates... Need flat, no hemmed/edged straps.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 18:39
The intersection of your hips, the backpack hipbelt, the waist of your pants, belt, underwear, and shirt is more of a potential trouble spot.