PDA

View Full Version : what is a mateable sleeping bag?

cabalot
01-30-2004, 23:48
what is a mateable sleeping bag? does it mean you can zipper it to another to form a double?

Rain Man
01-31-2004, 00:51
what is a mateable sleeping bag? does it mean you can zipper it to another to form a double?

I'd say so. Wife and I have two Holubars, one left-side zipper, one right-side zipper, which can be zipped together to form a double bag for us.

Not sure I ever heard that term, though -- mateable. I suppose it could be a bag that could fit inside another bag to boost the temp rating?

Rain Man

tarbubble
01-31-2004, 13:38
yup, exactly that. most sleeping bags these days are mateable - #8 zipper is pretty standard, although at least one of the higher-end bag makers (WM or FF) uses a smaller size to shave weight.

are you interested in a a double-bag setup? we use a system now that's much lighter than 2 bags together and it works very well. we use a homemade bag doubler very similar to the Sweetie Pie http://www.functionaldesign.net/about.htm

and share one sleeping bag. we sleep on top of the doubler.

tlbj6142
01-31-2004, 15:50
Love the photos on the above site. One of which makes it quite clear you plenty of room to mount your wife if you are using a bag doubler. Sort of a pictorial FAQ.

Rick Bayley
01-31-2004, 16:06
The only trouble with the mateable sleeping bags in the States is that sometimes they can get just too damn horny! That way a couple of folks could set out from Springer with a pair of bags and by the time they get to Harpers they find you've got a whole tent full! And that's no good for a lightweight backpacker like me.

Of course you don't get this problem here in the UK and in Australia. Here, the mateable bags are just good friends. :jump

Sniker
02-08-2004, 17:40
The Backcountry Blanket from Nunatak ( http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Back_Country_Blanket.htm ) is the choice for me and my girlfriend. At 28 oz. for the Long size and in Epic Nextec waterproof fabric, it's an amazingly versatile bag/blanket for the 3 season lightweighter like myself who can't sleep comfortably unless he's on his stomach (which mummy bags don't lend themselves well to). Also, because of the full length velcro, two Backcountry Blankets can be mated (using one on the bottom and one on the top) for cozy couples. We're still waiting for ours to show up (Nunatak quoted about six weeks). I'm very excited about this new system, however, and will report back on how it performs.