PDA

View Full Version : Pack weight?

Frau
04-13-2008, 13:41
Ladies--

I notice the men discussing this all the time and have not seen an advice for women. Last month I got a ULA Catalyst pack while at MRO in Damascus. I love it.

Today I did a first shake down hike with 23 pounds in the pack. Nessmuk has been after me to just pack the pack to go backpacking and carry that weight. All I did was throw sundry foot water and clothing in the pack to get close to 25 pounds.

How much weight do you carry and what bag do you use? What micro-fleexe? (The bag and a micro-fleece will be my next purchases).

Frau

quasarr
04-13-2008, 14:24
My base weight is about 10 lbs. I used to be a heavyweighter but this past year I have seen the light! :sun

Pack is the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. It's not a women-specific pack but it fits great! The straps are nice and wide and very comfy. In March I did 40 miles in Shenandoah (my first hike with the Mariposa and my new base weight) and the pack was a delight to carry. I was able to forget I was carrying anything - a great feeling!!! Also the pack has a sleeve for a sleeping pad on the outside. I cut a piece of blue foam for the sleeve. It was great to sit on during breaks, because you don't have to open your pack to get to it.

For sleeping bag my boyfriend and I share a 2 person Ray Way quilt. I love being able to snuggle! Quilts aren't for everyone though, it's a matter of preference.

I don't use fleece anymore. I switched to a Montbell down jacket. (got it on sale for$89!!!) It's lighter than fleece and very warm.

Lilred
04-13-2008, 14:28
I recently went hiking and my full pack, with four days of food and two liters of water, weighed 32 pounds. I have a ULA P-2, the old version of the Catalyst.

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 14:51
As long as you're under the 1/3 rule you should be ok with whatever the weight is.

River Runner
04-13-2008, 17:02
For a weekend trip, typically I carry somewhere around 20-22 lb including food and water, depending on season (and I normally am carrying at least 2.5 liters of water).

I use a GoLite Quest pack, which is very versatile as the top lid can be left behind and the pack compressed easily for lighter loads.

Like quassar, I don't carry fleece, unless it is winter when I might carry a fleece top for layering. For a jacket, I love the Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka.

I use a custom Nunatak Ghost for 3-season use now (1 oz less down than the normal Ghost so its comfy without being hot in summer and I add layers for cooler weather), and have a WM Ultralite or a Sierra Designs Mist for colder weather.

My advice for anyone needing to purchase items is to budget the bulk of money for buying a quality sleeping bag/quilt. This is an item that can really make or break your trip and that you will use many years. Clothing can be purchased cheaply to start with, and later upgraded, with the older clothing being relagated to everyday use. A cheap sleeping bag is just a waste when you move on to something better.

The exception is if you can make your own bag/quilt, and I think the Ray Way quilt is really good for that. I also have one of those, but these days it is mostly a loaner, since I prefer the warmth and compressibility of down. Still it's a good option for those starting out, that doesn't cost a lot. Sewing skills needed to make one are minimal.

tazie
04-13-2008, 17:15
As long as you're under the 1/3 rule you should be ok with whatever the weight is.

Novice backpacker here (just recently got my Gregory Deva), what's the 1/3 rule?

Mrs Baggins
04-13-2008, 17:53
Novice backpacker here (just recently got my Gregory Deva), what's the 1/3 rule?

Maybe 1/3 of your body weight?? Seems like an awful lot. I was carrying 1/4 of my body weight (34 lbs with food and 2 liters of water) and I really want to get that down. My pack is a Gregory Jade 50, just over 3 lbs and rated to carry 35 lbs so I was at the limit. I'll cut my mat from the 22 oz Big Agnes Air Core to the 11 oz Big Agnes Clearview as soon as it's on the market. I'll switch back to my REI Sub Kilo 20 degree bag for the warmer weather - weighs almost a pound less than the Sub Kilo Plus -5 bag I was carrying this last time. I use a Patagonia Down Sweater - less than a pound. If I do take a fleece it's my Woolrich Polartech fleece full zip jacket. Had it for 6 years and love it love it love it. I use a Hubba tent at about 3 lbs. No way would I switch to a tarp or hammock. I'm as committed to my Hubba as the tarp/hammock people are to their way.

Blissful
04-13-2008, 19:43
I split the weight with my son, but my base weight for summer would have been 6.5 lbs (pack, shelter, bag). For microfleece I actually got a top and bottom set at Belk (the dept store here in VA for those that don't live here) a few years back and it was lightweight and worked great. For a jacket in cool evenings, I went with the men's Montbell synthetic jacket. Summer weight bag was a Marmot pounder, with a pounder plus for later season. Need to likely go with a down bag for late season.

Hey, and if anyone needs a summer weight down bag, I have one I'm selling. The Lafuma warm and light, 30 degree. Weighs nothing. And it was never used (my hubby had gotten me the pounder instead).

Blissful
04-13-2008, 19:45

Well, it is a third of your weight supposedly from what I've heard, but I would NEVER carry that kind of weight! Your hike is so much more enjoyable and you hurt a lot less if you can keep your pack weight down. :)

Cuffs
04-14-2008, 11:38
On my last trip, I was carrying 7 full days of food, 2 liters of water, and all the gear, at the car, just before hitting the trail I was at 32#. I was glad and surprised at the weight. I thought for sure I was going to be closer to 40#.

quasarr
04-14-2008, 14:02
I would love a Western Mountaineering down bag, but they're so expensive! Ray's 2-person kit is about $100.

Compressibility isn't a big deal for me. The quilt compressed plenty and I had no problem smooshing it into my pack. The Mariposa is 3700 ci and I was nowhere near filling it up.

Frau
04-14-2008, 14:02
I would not dream of carrying 1/3 my weight, either.

Blissful, I was thinking of fleece from Old Navy. One of my son's favorite old fleeces from HS (10 years ago) came from there. I hesitate to buy on on-line because I think the feel of the fleece is important.

Tell me about the bag you have for sale.

Frau

Frau
04-14-2008, 14:05
quasarr,

How long did it take you to sew up the double quilt? I have been after nessmuk for a year now, about a double bag or quilt. Being able to snuggle is a big deal to me, and something I sorely miss when camping. The Ray Way double can be carried in two pieces, no?

Frau

quasarr
04-14-2008, 14:56
Frau,

The double quilt took me probably 10-12 hours. However it was my first time sewing and I'm sure someone with experience could do it much quicker. I got all the bells and whistles - gorget, draft stopper, split zip (this is what allows you to carry the quilt in 2 pieces), and Alpine upgrade. I highly recommend the draft stopper. I have the smaller piece and it weighs 19 oz. Also it's great to wrap up in around camp, the size is more manageable than a sleeping bag.

The Alpine insulation option is supposed to be rated to 28 degrees. I have found the quilt to be true to its rating, I even used it on a few nights that were colder than 28 and was cozy. If you never used a double quilt/bag before, take into account that you & your partner have to be quilt-compatible! Like if one of you tosses more, or is a significantly colder sleeper. Also you'll want velcro or something to connect your sleeping pads, or they migrate apart at night.

hope this was some help! I've been very happy with the quilt. Let me know if you have more questions :)

Frau
04-14-2008, 16:35
I just wish I could buy one already sewn together. I was quite the seamstress for many years, but find I quickly lose my motivation now.

Frau

Blissful
04-14-2008, 19:00
I would not dream of carrying 1/3 my weight, either.

Blissful, I was thinking of fleece from Old Navy. One of my son's favorite old fleeces from HS (10 years ago) came from there. I hesitate to buy on on-line because I think the feel of the fleece is important.

Tell me about the bag you have for sale.

Frau

This is what I had down on my "For Sale" thread on Selling Gear. The bag has never been used.

Lafuma Warm ‘n Light Women’s 800g Down Bag
Cloud Gray, 30 degree rating. Comes with its compression sack.
Weight 1 lb 12 oz.
Brand new. Never used.
Retail $150.00. Asking $110 shipped.

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 13:08
I would not want to carry 1/3 of my weight. That would be one uncomfortable hike. Twenty pounds is my limit.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
04-15-2008, 17:14
I was in a car accident a few years back and crinkled some discs in my back and neck. My doctor said "no more than 30 pounds total weight on that back" So I do everything in my power to keep my pack under that and still really enjoy my hike.

In summer my pack averages around 17 pounds for a 5 day trip. In winter I am close to 25 pounds for a 5 day trip.

I just got a new pack that I got to field test last summer for REI. As soon as I can free up some time and bearpaw and I can get out I will be testing it. It's the new Venturi pack. I'm also about to make a primaloft 35 degree quilt to hike in the smokies this summer. I'll be typing up that gear list soon. I think my winter list is still up from 2 winters ago at Backpacking Light.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/889207cc2a03878bbe006f23b0fb7737.pdf

Mad Doktor
04-15-2008, 17:25
another newbie here...I have a kelty trekker 3900 pack, with kelty stick 1 tent, minimal utensils, coleman sleeping bag, dual-fuel 1-burner stove, bottle of fuel, 1 change of clothes and with just that, I'm (estimating) around 30 pounds...any suggestions on lightening the load?

Blissful
04-15-2008, 20:33
You can get a lot lighter sleeping bags these days (I have one I am selling - see previous post - that is less than 2 lbs). Coleman do not have good rating on their bags, are usually very heavy and are hard to compress so they take up a huge amt of pack space.

A MSR pocket rocket is lightweight and a good stove. You can get a greasepot at K mart to use as a pot.

One lexan spoon at 79 cents (or thereabouts) will suffice.

Have not heard of your tent, but they are making single wall tents these days that are lighter in weight.

Most weight can be dropped by deleting ounces too.

OHBob
04-15-2008, 20:38
another newbie here...I have a kelty trekker 3900 pack, with kelty stick 1 tent, minimal utensils, coleman sleeping bag, dual-fuel 1-burner stove, bottle of fuel, 1 change of clothes and with just that, I'm (estimating) around 30 pounds...any suggestions on lightening the load?

Have you actually put the loaded pack on a scales? I just did a quick check at campmor and the tent and pack came in at a bit less than 10 pounds combined. Seems like a lot of heavy stuff would have to be added to get up to 30 pounds and what you've listed doesn't seem that heavy.

Frau
04-16-2008, 06:52
S w/ S,

How much did all pack and gear on you rwinter smokies trip way? And how much food? I am so happy getting all this ionput from everyone. I should have been taking advantage of the Women's Forums all along.

Frau

88BlueGT
04-22-2008, 17:15
I really don't like that 1/3 rule. I come in at about 170... I would never even consider carrying a 56lb load :)

I just did a overnighter last weekend and came in at 23lbs (pack, sleeping bag, clothes, 2.5l of water, food, rain gear, FAK, stove, cookset, fuel, misc equiptment, and lots of stupid stuff like hacky sacks, hand sanitizers, etc.... no tent also). I could have prob shed about 3-4lbs and still been comfortable.

Bear Cables
04-27-2008, 19:42
I started working on making my load lighter last summer. I bought a smaller pack so I couldn't carry as much gear. Switched from a pump to tablets, bought a snowpeak ultalight stove with a 3 piece titaium cook set and only use 2 pieces of it. i also let the pot double as a bowl. This summer for our 50 trek I am going to try doubling my self inflataing camp chair ( like a crazy creek) as a chair and sleeping pad. The new self inflating will also roll up to take up less space.

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 19:46
25% of lean body mass. I cannot say how your LBM is but it is about 30% for a female of average fitness at age 20 according to the Army. So if you fit a mold of 30% body fat and are 170, that means you have a LBM of 119 pounds. A 25% of LBM would mean a max from skin out weight of 30 pounds.

Connie
04-28-2008, 18:02
Yikes! See my ultralight backpacking website signature!

I have a GoLite, Breeze pack w/Metolius Rope Ranger rope bag shoulder straps. I find most shoulder straps are either too wide or the wrong shape for me. Metolius said, some time past, they will sell the Metolius shoulder straps separately. I didn't have to cut the shoulder straps off my Metolius rope bag I no longer use much, now.

I like the Vaude Crystal Rock 30.

Bear Cables
05-03-2008, 19:09
My base weight is about 10 lbs. I used to be a heavyweighter but this past year I have seen the light! :sun

Pack is the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. It's not a women-specific pack but it fits great! The straps are nice and wide and very comfy. In March I did 40 miles in Shenandoah (my first hike with the Mariposa and my new base weight) and the pack was a delight to carry. I was able to forget I was carrying anything - a great feeling!!! Also the pack has a sleeve for a sleeping pad on the outside. I cut a piece of blue foam for the sleeve. It was great to sit on during breaks, because you don't have to open your pack to get to it.

For sleeping bag my boyfriend and I share a 2 person Ray Way quilt. I love being able to snuggle! Quilts aren't for everyone though, it's a matter of preference.

I don't use fleece anymore. I switched to a Montbell down jacket. (got it on sale for$89!!!) It's lighter than fleece and very warm.

I would love to know how you got your base weight to 10lbs. What are you taking and what are you giving up? Right now my base weight is 22 lbs with out food and water! I'd really love to hear what you pack.

Blissful
05-03-2008, 19:35
Base weight is tent, sleeping bag, pack. Not hard to get it under 10 lbs these days with what's available. My summer weight would have been 6.5 if I had carried my tarp tent. We opted for the hubba hubba and a split it with my son.

Bear Cables
05-04-2008, 15:35
Okay, base weight is just pack, tent and bag. Then I'm about 10 with just that. I loaded everything including 2.5 liters of water yesterday and the total weight was 28lbs. still need to add food for 4 days. (We will have a food drop at the half way point of an 8 day hike.) I'd still like to get lighter . I have packed other than base, a change of clothes (1 shirt, 1pr. shorts, sleeping shorts and cami, a silk thermal shirt, rain suit, extra pr. of socks) my ultra light snow peak stove and one canister of snow peak fuel, two very small titaium pots (bowl size), small 1st aid, ultralight headlamp, two 1 liter bottles and a smaller self filtering bottle,pair of crocks, a self inflating camp chair to double as sleeping pad.

SGT Rock
05-04-2008, 18:41
Okay, base weight is just pack, tent and bag.
No, when we talk about base weight, those are the big items - but base weight refers to everything but consumables that are in your pack. Most people that get down to a 10 pound base have about 6 pounds in these items and about 4 with everything else. A few terms for you:
Base - everything in your pack minus food, water, fuel, and maybe some other consumables.
FSO = From Skin Out - total weight carried and worn
Pack Weight - Generally your whole pack weight with consumables.
Big 4 - Pack, bag, pad, and shelter.

Then I'm about 10 with just that. I loaded everything including 2.5 liters of water yesterday and the total weight was 28lbs. still need to add food for 4 days. (We will have a food drop at the half way point of an 8 day hike.) I'd still like to get lighter.
This would put you at about 36 pounds which ain't bad. Just be particular about your food.

I have packed other than base, a change of clothes (1 shirt, 1pr. shorts, sleeping shorts and cami, a silk thermal shirt, rain suit, extra pr. of socks) my ultra light snow peak stove and one canister of snow peak fuel, two very small titaium pots (bowl size), small 1st aid, ultralight headlamp, two 1 liter bottles and a smaller self filtering bottle,pair of crocks, a self inflating camp chair to double as sleeping pad.It would help if you posted on the main board your whole packing list. Iimagine that you could get reccomendations from many folks on what to do to get lighter. I have about a 10 pound base but don't normally post in the female forum. I've helped my wife put her kit together though and she is under a 10 pound base if I remember correctly.

Bear Cables
05-04-2008, 22:06
No, when we talk about base weight, those are the big items - but base weight refers to everything but consumables that are in your pack. Most people that get down to a 10 pound base have about 6 pounds in these items and about 4 with everything else. A few terms for you:
Base - everything in your pack minus food, water, fuel, and maybe some other consumables.
FSO = From Skin Out - total weight carried and worn
Pack Weight - Generally your whole pack weight with consumables.
Big 4 - Pack, bag, pad, and shelter.

This would put you at about 36 pounds which ain't bad. Just be particular about your food.
It would help if you posted on the main board your whole packing list. Iimagine that you could get reccomendations from many folks on what to do to get lighter. I have about a 10 pound base but don't normally post in the female forum. I've helped my wife put her kit together though and she is under a 10 pound base if I remember correctly.

Thanks, I'll do that. Your post has been very helpful.:sun

Red Hat
05-06-2008, 13:17
My big 4 is 9lbs (bag 2, pack 3, tent 3, pad 1). I usually end up with a pack weight between 25 - 30 depending upon how many days of food I need. I'm looking at a tent that will shave a pound or so, but I found that a lighter pack was not comfortable.