PDA

View Full Version : Powdered food - expiration date?

fiddlehead
04-14-2008, 09:25
hydrate some up and see if your dog will eat them first.
I've tried some stuff already that was 3 years old. Not much taste to it but it didn't make me sick.
I think it'll probably be ok. You can usually tell by smelling it, aye?

mudhead
04-14-2008, 10:04
When in doubt, throw it out.

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 10:30
I had a long conversation with the top technical guy at a large dairy (milk-product processing facility) in Wisconsin. He told me that the industry rule of thumb was that dried nonfat milk in typical packaging could be expected to retain its flavor, nutrition, and safety for a year after packaging, with only its flavor at risk for another year. After that, all bets were off, he said.

If you want longer-term storage products, they'd be best IMO to get in packaging intended to last longer than the usual stuff on the shelf at your Super Wal-Mart. (Lehman's or the like.)

budforester
04-14-2008, 16:18
I have a few tubs of Rainy Day Foods powdered eggs, cheese, and milk. They've been opened and stored for 3-4 years. Is there any reason not to use them?

If these are still loose- flowing powders and not lumps, there may be no safety issues. However, as MS pointed out, flavor and nutrition are questionable. Unless you have large quantities, sampling and test- cooking may not be worthwhile.

Deadeye
04-14-2008, 16:34
I think the key is that you said they've been opened. I've found that even unopened dry milk is unpalatable after a year. Myself, I'd toss the stuff, unless you can make yourself eat it. Bon appetit!

kolokolo
04-18-2008, 21:45
I don't think it's worth the risk, especially since it's been opened. Eating spoiled food while hiking will definitely crimp your style.

Nearly Normal
04-19-2008, 05:29
hydrate some up and see if your dog will eat them first.

:D:D:D

I don't trust my dog that much.