PDA

View Full Version : Many issues

CarolinaJP
04-13-2008, 22:21
Since I got great feedback with my last post I felt posting another would be the best way to approach the issue. I would probably be still doing silly trail and errors with my gear if it wernt for this site.

I like to hike with tevas. I have done week long trips with them but I am wary about taking off on the trail with just teva's. Is it absoluty neccessary to wear tennis shoes with gaitors? And how important are gaiters? I am severly allergic to poinson oaks, ivey's and sumac.

I have a skin disease, pscorisis. I get broke out anywhere that I either scratch alot or in my scalp. And with a beard growing it will attack my face and Ill never get it off. Is it possible to stay well cleaned as far as shaving goes on the trail and will this extra time for care hurt my milage? How much time does it typically take "yall" to get cleaned, would it be worth making camp near water for easy access, and how available is an adaquate source on a daily basis for cleaning your self. This may be a bad question, I know it's rough living in the woods but you got to remember for me this is not only a dibilitating issue on the trail but also for my own good.

Wags
04-13-2008, 22:28
i personally don't use gaiters - chaps are for when i ride horseback :D, but i'm from pa, so the trail may be different. i don't usually bushwack or walk in the snow a lot either, as i'm sure they serve a purpose for some. a few people mentioned on another thread making your own from old pants. i'm sure someone can point you to it.

i have no experience dealing w/ pscorisis so i'm afraid to give you any advise as far as hygiene. i'd recommend maybe doing a search in the health and hygene section of this site (when you enter a section of forum there's a little search bar on the upper right of your page, just type whatever you're looking for there)...

River Runner
04-13-2008, 22:29
Since I got great feedback with my last post I felt posting another would be the best way to approach the issue. I would probably be still doing silly trail and errors with my gear if it wernt for this site.

I like to hike with tevas. I have done week long trips with them but I am wary about taking off on the trail with just teva's. Is it absoluty neccessary to wear tennis shoes with gaitors? And how important are gaiters? I am severly allergic to poinson oaks, ivey's and sumac.

I have a skin disease, pscorisis. I get broke out anywhere that I either scratch alot or in my scalp. And with a beard growing it will attack my face and Ill never get it off. Is it possible to stay well cleaned as far as shaving goes on the trail and will this extra time for care hurt my milage? How much time does it typically take "yall" to get cleaned, would it be worth making camp near water for easy access, and how available is an adaquate source on a daily basis for cleaning your self. This may be a bad question, I know it's rough living in the woods but you got to remember for me this is not only a dibilitating issue on the trail but also for my own good.

Gaiters aren't really necessary if you hike in long pants. They are good in certain areas to protect your legs from brush/briars/poison ivy/stinging nettle etc. if you don't wear long pants. (Well, if stinging nettle is really bad, it helps to have gaiters even over pants.)

I do like hiking shoes for the toe and foot protection from sticks, rocks, plants, etc. but some do hike in sandals. Wearing socks with them provides a little more protection. I'm not sure of your level of experience, but the AT is more or less wilderness with rough trail in many areas, not a hike on a nice groomed path in a front country park.

Um. Can't say anything about shaving a beard - I don't have that problem being female.

Water to get cleaned up is fairly easy to come by in most cases - you just carry enough away from the source to take a 'sponge' bath, 'spit' bath, or whatever you want to call it. A couple of liters is usually ample - many get by with less.

GGS2
04-13-2008, 22:35
If you want to shave every day (I have a full beard, so this doesn't arise for me), then I suggest you look into carrying a light, nylon water bucket to use while shaving and washing. Also carry a small plastic mirror, and just hang the bucket and mirror from a convenient tree to shave, use the water to do a quick sponge bath as well. In the winter, you can heat the water by boiling up a few cups of water to add to the bucket, just to cut the cold on the rest.

As to the time, it depends more on the availability of water and your personal rate of doing things than anything else. I don't think you will find yourself limited by this, as you will almost always stop a few times during a day for a rest and a snack, beverage or meal. If you plan it right, you can do your shave and clean-up during a stop, rather than at your sleep camp. That may make it easier to collect water and so forth. As it seems to be a fixed part of your routine, you won't have much trouble remembering to stop at a stream for your wash water, and then stop a short while up the trail where it is convenient for whatever else you want to do while you clean up.

If you want, you can carry an electric razor. Then you won't be quite so dependent on water, but if you have a sensitive skin issue, I would guess you'd be better off washing with soap and shaving wet anyway. But it's all your call. People have lots of personal routines on the trail. Don't worry about it too much. Just do what works for you.

Jimmers
04-13-2008, 23:05
I can't stand going without shaving more than three days myself, just can't stand the itching, especially in heat. I highly recommend the Mach3 razors for use on the trail. The blades last forever compared to other razors (over a month), and the only time they're likely to cut me is when they're 1st used. Plus, you don't have to carry much weight. Apparently they make them as disposables now too.

As for all the rest of a shaving kit, I usually just heat up some water, then soak my pack towel and hold it to my face to soften up the stubble. That way I don't need shaving cream. I also just use a small cup to rinse off the blades. It's actually not too hard once you get used to the process.

Oh, and definately bring a small mirror of some sort. Makes life easier.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2008, 23:28
I used to spend long periods of time living in the woods and had to shave every day. You can do a lot with a steel helmet full of hot water. I don't know what they do nowdays with the Kevlar helmets.

Anyway, to answer the question about shaving - skin moisturizing creams, such as Vaseline Intensive Care, make the best shaving cream. Clean face with water, apply cream and shave. Rinse razor in water and dry it before putting it away. You can get the skin cream in travel-sized plastic tubes. A little goes a long way.

PJ 2005
04-13-2008, 23:45
If you like hiking in Tevas, stick with them. It's not that uncommon. The biggest long-term issue you might have is dry, cracked skin on your feet.

With footwear, do what's comfortable. Everybody is different.

TIDE-HSV
04-13-2008, 23:49
If you do a search on your disorder, spell it "psoriasis."

bigcranky
04-14-2008, 08:48
I remember shaving out of a steel pot helmet. Those were the days....

Get a plastic gallon milk jug. Drink the milk. Cut around the jug about 3 inches from the bottom. Now you have a very light "sink" that you can use for shaving and general cleanup. To keep it from getting crushed, carry your sink over the end of a stuff sack of the appropriate size.

Given your medical condition, I would wear long pants to hike. Even tall gaiters (worn with shorts) leave a large portion of your knees and thighs exposed. I end up getting cuts, scrapes, etc., all the time.

Shaving in camp is not a big deal. Warm up some water, put it in your sink, and shave away. It'll only add a few minutes to your daily routine.

Freeleo
04-14-2008, 08:55
i bet if you change your diet in very positive way, you will see big changed is your skin condition...trust me:o....medicine will only deter it not cure it....that diet will most likely happen on the trail as it is harder to get your standard american diet...eat well

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 09:34
Sunshine is good for psoriasis and many other dreaded skin diseases.

Bare Bear
04-14-2008, 14:08
Tevas would work if that is what you are comfortable with. Try some long distance with them first though as it is not the same as walking around for a day as hiking up and down mountains for ten to twelve miles a day. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY.............

skinny minnie
04-15-2008, 09:42
Lots of camp sites are fairly close to a source of water - although no guarantees. Your maps will tell you where sources of water are located in relation to camp and you can plan accordingly. If the water isn't close enough for your liking, then shave when you encounter water, like someone else said. You can shave at the end of your day if you end during daylight... or just wake up a little earlier to do it - not going to affect your mileage!

Bathing - I swear by body wipes. Gets you relatively fresh and clean in a matter of minutes. Can buy them at any drugstore. More in-depth washing just uses a pot of water, bar of soap, and a little towel - I like the msr pack towel personal hand towel. Sometimes I'll just wash my face, my feet, and my armpits... then use a wipe for everywhere else. Depends how much effort I feel like putting into scrubbing up. As far as staying clean goes... don't forget about your clothing too. There's a few options for that. Laundry on a town day or at a hostel. Subscription to the "I'm a smelly hiker, laundry is for pansy's" school of thought. Or if you know it's going to be sunny and hot the next day... this what I do: wash clothing before bathing. Wring and hang up to dry. Carry items in a mesh bag on the outside of pack the next day. Take a leisurely lunch and spread items on a rock in the sun to dry more. Obviously, this works way better with small light articles of clothing like running shorts and tanks, rather than say... a gigantic pair of cargo pants.

I think gaitors are great for sandy dessert conditions with loose scree, and snow, but are kind of overkill for the AT. Just be really vigilant. Whenever I hike through growth of any sort I always check out the plant life first before plowing through.