PDA

View Full Version : Batch on the trail in 2008

Mother Nature
04-14-2008, 08:51
I was walking with a friend yesterday.

She related an experience she had the day before (April 12) just outside Helen.

She said she saw an older man wearing a backpack walking along the side of the road. She stopped to see if he needed assistance as she couldn't believe that anyone his age would be actually headed to the trail. He told her he was hiking on the AT and accepted a ride. During the shuttle to Unicoi Gap he told her he was 86 and had hiked 17 miles the day before and was headed to Hwy 76 (Dicks Creek Gap) today. She really scoffed at the idea he could have done those miles and thought the guy was a little daffy.

I interrupted her story by asking...."Could it be BATCH is back out on the trail again"? She looked dumbstruck and told me that he called himself Batch. She took out her camera and showed me a picture of the man she had picked up and it WAS BATCH! We had met Batch on the trail in 2004.

I have no idea what he has planned for this year.... a section or a complete thru.. but heads up everyone! Who will spot Batch next?

Mother Nature
04-15-2008, 14:02
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23847&c=534]

My friend emailed me the picture of Batch at Unicoi Gap.

deeddawg
04-15-2008, 19:04
Met Batch at Tray Mountain Shelter at lunchtime on the 12th. He said he was thinking about going all the way for Maine but would take it day by day.

weary
04-15-2008, 21:34
Met Batch at Tray Mountain Shelter at lunchtime on the 12th. He said he was thinking about going all the way for Maine but would take it day by day.
Go for it Batch!

OutdoorsMan
04-15-2008, 22:06
Does Batch use trekking poles? If not, it kinda makes me feel lame for thinking that I might need them (at 50). I am so impressed with this guy, I hope this thread continues recording his progress.

fiddlehead
04-15-2008, 22:10
Good to hear Batch is out there again. I met him on our thru of the PCT in '96 and have always enjoyed our talks at the gathering ever since.
He is an incredible man and I only can hope that i can hike when I am even 10 years younger than Batch.

Good luck Batch!

Jack Tarlin
04-15-2008, 23:34
Great guy, great hiker.

Good luck, Batch!!

Blister
04-16-2008, 21:20
I also met Batch on the PCT in 96, he had some trouble that year and the next, heat stroke and snow blindness I think if I remember correctly, but he kept at it. Back then I was a newbie at this hiking thing, he was a great influence of determination. He has been making trail magic appearences in Vermont and New Hampshire for many years with his beautiful wife. If he makes it up my way it will be an honor to shed some magic on him. GOOO BATCH!

astrogirl
04-17-2008, 16:47
Great guy, great hiker.

Good luck, Batch!!

I met him coming out of hiawassee on Tuesday. This would be above dicks creek gap, on the trail.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2008, 07:55
Is there any more news on Batch and his progress??? We know someone who's a few years younger than him that wants to be the oldest thru-hiker, so we're very interested to see how far Batch gets. The other guy started out last year (2nd thru-hike) but had to quit due to health and he intends to get back on the trail next year.