PDA

View Full Version : SNP in one shot

Ashman
04-14-2008, 10:48
If you were going to hike SNP from Front Royal to Waynesboro in one shot would you go NOBO or SOBO? Why? TIA

Sly
04-14-2008, 10:49
Well from Front Royal to Waynesboro I'd hike south cuz that's the way the towns are. :) Seriously, I don't think it matters, but north may have less elevation IIRC.

wallace
04-14-2008, 13:04
At the end of last May I did the park North to South. I parked at the Dickey Ridge visitor center and took the Dickey Ridge trail south to hook up with the AT. I chose south because I would run into more through hikers and get to talk to them. Being new to hiking, I thought I could learn more this way. Also, I did not think I would be able to keep up with them so the advantage of meeting people and staying with them was not a consideration.

In retrospect, my reasoning would not have made much difference. However, one nice thing I did not consider but turned out to be a nice feature of going south is that showers were available at Loft Mountain and Big Meadows. Big meadows is at about the middle of the park. Loft Mountain is about 20 miles from the southern end. I enjoyed the shower and camp store more at the end of the hike than the beginning. Not much of a reason though.

Bare Bear
04-14-2008, 13:55
I have done both NOBO and SOBO and it didn't seem to make as much difference as the difference in my age (19 years old versus 34, then 54). Somehow the mountains got bigger. Do what is easiest logistically for you.

elray
04-14-2008, 14:08
II Cat and I did it South to North just because Front Royal was the better place to leave a car. Also more dining choices at the end of the trek which seems to drive most of my decisions these days. It's a sweet hike in either direction and there are some great views if it isn't raining, Good Luck!

Press
04-14-2008, 20:48
Check out the Byrd's Nest day shelters along the way. They are not for overnight camping but are quite cozy, with a fireplace inside, good place to get out of the rain if need be. No water at the two I stopped at a couple weeks ago though. One of them, I think no. 3, is almost in the middle of the trail.

burger
04-14-2008, 21:12
If you do it NOBO, you finish with a nice long descent into Front Royal. SOBO, you start out with a decent (not awful by overall AT standards but tough for the Mid-Atlantic) climb just to get into the park.

Beyond that, it probably doesn't make much difference unless you care about going the direction that thru-hikers are going whenever you do your hike.

Skyline
04-14-2008, 21:39
I usually tell hikers to go NOBO.

There are ascents and descents either way, but IMHO you have a few more longer climbs going SOBO. It would be interesting if someone actually did a study on it, but it seems that way.

There are good places to park on private property at each end.

If you need a shuttle, contact: www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com). Also for help with that private parking, backcountry permit, other logistics, insight into primitive campsites between shelters, water sources, side trails, and private AT-style shelter basecamp with parking for shuttle clients if that's of interest.

Ashman
04-15-2008, 07:20
Thanks for the the tips! If I wanted to set up a resupply, is there a place I can leave a box for me midway like at one of the campgrounds or something?

Skyline
04-15-2008, 11:55
Thanks for the the tips! If I wanted to set up a resupply, is there a place I can leave a box for me midway like at one of the campgrounds or something?

You could call the lodging concessioner, and inquire about doing that. Their number is 1-800-778-2853.

The other option is to go into the town of Luray and shop for your resupply. You could try to hitch in and back out, or call Mountain & Valley Shuttle at 1-877-789-3210.

Blissful
04-15-2008, 12:10
We went NOBO and enjoyed it.

Depending on where you will be and when (we are gone in mid June), I could drop you a box at Swift Run Gap if you mail it to me. PM me if you want to discuss that option. There are no mail drops accepted in SNP.

You can resupply at the campstores and waysides - they will be open by mid May. Big Meadows had alot of yuppy hiker food (mountain house type stuff) and other food when we were there a few weeks ago. You can also hitch into Luray for supplies.

Cherokee Bill
04-15-2008, 19:58
If you were going to hike SNP from Front Royal to Waynesboro in one shot would you go NOBO or SOBO? Why? TIA

:-? Well the last weekend of June "08" I'm hiking the SNP SOBO. I am getting the Waynesboro Shuttle Service to pick me up at Afton Mtn parking area and carry me to the N-end of the park. :confused:

Then I'm hiking SOBO back to my truck. Will stop at a campground mid-way for a shower & laundry :D This will be the third time I've planned this hike and not been able to go. I do hope I can make it this time, as at 61-yo, I am NOT getting any younger ;)

Blissful
04-15-2008, 20:36
:-? Well the last weekend of June "08" I'm hiking the SNP SOBO. I am getting the Waynesboro Shuttle Service to pick me up at Afton Mtn parking area and carry me to the N-end of the park. :confused:

Then I'm hiking SOBO back to my truck. Will stop at a campground mid-way for a shower & laundry :D This will be the third time I've planned this hike and not been able to go. I do hope I can make it this time, as at 61-yo, I am NOT getting any younger ;)

Hope you get to go this time!! Have a great hike.

OHBob
04-15-2008, 20:42
I'm planning a hike through the SNP this June also. Not sure if I'll go north or south -- depends in part on my son's schedule and how we can arrange vehicle issues. Last year I hiked south, but didn't get to do some of the blue blazes I wanted to hike so I'm hoping to hit those this summer.

fiddlehead
04-15-2008, 22:23
NOBO sun at your back, wind behind you.