PDA

View Full Version : Therm-A-Rest, where to put it?

HikerMan36
04-14-2008, 13:28
I have a Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite regular sleeping pad and a Jansport Big Bear pack and was looking for any ideas on attaching the pad to the pack for transport being as the pack has no straps on the bootom for such a purpose. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 13:31
It looks like you have plenty of lashing loops on the back, you could carry it vertically.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
04-14-2008, 13:46
I use a Kelty Agile 4500, which has a compression hood much like your Big Bear. After I load the main compartment and compression compartment on the top, I attach the compression compartment loosely and slide my standard ThermaRest between the hood and the pack. Tightening the compression straps while re-aligning the pad each time holds it in place well enough that I have never had it slip loose.

Bare Bear
04-14-2008, 13:53
I am not familiar with that model BUT...
If there is any built in padding in the back, take that out and use the Thermorest in place of it, less weight and the pad makes a perfect pad for your back..........I do that on my GoLIte Jam 30 and it made 1/2 an AT trek with me and still looks new. I can't ever see going back to my Gregory Shasta heavy POS.

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2008, 14:57
No side compression straps? I strapped mine to the side of my Gregory Jade. Easy to get to every evening and easy to put back on the pack in the morning. I already had my Hubba tent strapped to the bottom of the pack so I couldn't put the pad there.

Summit
04-14-2008, 18:00
About 31 years ago when I bought my ThermaRest, I strapped it to the bottom of my JanSport D3. About the 3rd or 4th hike, it developed a leak, which I successfully patched with a patch kit. From then on I started packing it inside my pack and I just retired it last year in lieu of my new Big Agnes Dual Core mattress. Not another single puncture/leak in 30 years. Think seriously about packing it in the pack to avoid punctures from obstacles along the trail, and if strapped to the bottom, especially from taking a break and leaning back on it without taking the pack off (which I do every chance I get). ;)

Stir Fry
04-14-2008, 19:38
I have a Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite regular sleeping pad and a Jansport Big Bear pack and was looking for any ideas on attaching the pad to the pack for transport being as the pack has no straps on the bootom for such a purpose. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Add your own straps any place you want. They are easy to sow on.