PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Solo

Nearly Normal
04-14-2008, 20:26
I recieved my new Lunar Solo on Sat. Ordered on Thurs so I'm impressed with SMD and the PO. Tried setting up in a big wind. I can't say I did a good job of it.
Tried again on Sunday with mixed results. Moving stakes around, different poles lengths, and different tentions resulted in a broken stake loop.
Sewed it up and re-enforced the rest.
I have the easten stake package suggested.
For those that know this shelter. All the stake points are suppose to be 3 to 4 inches off the ground. The front two and middle rear are but the other two rear stakes are flush to the ground. Not the norm or what's wanted for venting. Haven't quite got it right I guess.
The directions are plain enough and the website info plain too, a little too plain really. A few more pics and hints would help.
It is not your run of the mill tent where it auto configures to the proper layout like a hubba or lightening. It will require a little practice.
I really like the design and will continue to "play" with it. Hopefully I'll get it right before my next outing in May.
If anyone has a suggestion or two I would appriciate it.
If I could get the rear corners, screen and tub to co-operate I will have it licked. The front seems to be OK.
Once I get the hang of the thing it should prove out a great addition to my gear. It's kite light and looks like it will shed weather well. We'll see.

Thanks.

Sly
04-14-2008, 20:38
I suggest staking out the two front side stakes loosely or slightly taunt, then the back, front and two back sides. It helps to have the door zipped shut, or make sure not to stake too tightly. Also play with the front guy line so it's length allows you zip the vestibule closed.

I like to keep the door side canopy rolled up and the floor side down to store my shoes, stove, fuel, water etc. The rest of the gear goes in the tent. I can also do this in alight rain as the front should be slightly angled.

In the wind start with the upwind front corner. If you're using a ground cloth you may want to slide in under after the tent is fully staked, or do without.

ChinMusic
04-14-2008, 20:39
Do not set it up too tight. Make sure the tension straps are at max looseness, before you start, so you can tighten as the material relaxes. You may need most of the length of the tension straps as it settles.

I found that the stake loops are a weak point and probably should be given a "bonus" line of stitching as a preventative. I had two loops break free myself, one while in the backyard and the second in the field. I simply tied a loop as a get-by. When I got home I stitched all the loops just in case.

Tipping the pole just a bit toward the front (moving the base a couple inches toward the inside) is a good way to make minor adjustments in tension.

If you have time it is best to set up the tent right away when getting to camp, as the material does relax. You will want to tighten up the tension straps just before calling it a night and possibly a little tug during the night if nature calls.

Sly
04-14-2008, 20:41
Oh wow, me and ChinMusic have something in common. ;)

ChinMusic
04-14-2008, 21:01
Oh wow, me and ChinMusic have something in common. ;)
What happens in Poli STAYS in Poli. We are all friends out here......:D

Yeah I like my Lunar Solo. I do have a bad habit of pushing my hiking pole away from the inside with my butt during the night, causing some serious sagging. I'm kinda wondering if I could retrofit a loop to keep the base of the pole from moving away.

Nearly Normal
04-14-2008, 21:05
What happens in Poli STAYS in Poli. We are all friends out here......:D

Yeah I like my Lunar Solo. I do have a bad habit of pushing my hiking pole away from the inside with my butt during the night, causing some serious sagging. I'm kinda wondering if I could retrofit a loop to keep the base of the pole from moving away.

Why can't you stick the point in the ground down to the basket and handle up?

ChinMusic
04-14-2008, 21:54
Why can't you stick the point in the ground down to the basket and handle up?
Can't.

The point of the pole must fit into a brass grommet at the peak of the tent.

And be careful when placing the tip in the grommet and MAKE SURE it does not slip out during set up. You can sustain MAJOR damage to the tent if you get sloppy at this point. One of my buddies got a nasty rip in his by being careless.

Nearly Normal
04-14-2008, 22:57
Thanks for all the replies.

ronmoak
04-15-2008, 01:11
For those that know this shelter. All the stake points are suppose to be 3 to 4 inches off the ground. The front two and middle rear are but the other two rear stakes are flush to the ground. Not the norm or what's wanted for venting. Haven't quite got it right I guess.

Not quite sure what you mean by "stake points", however all the tops of the stakes should be flush with the ground. Only the original Lunar Solo setup better with stakes slightly raised and only if you didn't replace the standard guylines with longer ones. Unfortunately old legends are hard to kill.

Setting the tent so that the guylines don't terminate at ground level will change the angles of the canopy and prevent a good setup.

Ron

ChinMusic
04-15-2008, 09:44
Setting the tent so that the guylines don't terminate at ground level will change the angles of the canopy and prevent a good setup.

I was starting to think that I just didn't get it. I always staked-out my Lunar Solo to ground level. I had read about others trying to have it staked higher but that never worked for me. I didn't know that an older version was the source of the confusion.

Nearly Normal
04-15-2008, 13:59
At each point on the tent that requires a stake, I stake flush to the ground, tentioning straps at their longest.
3 of the five allow venting. the other 2 do not. I'm sure it is a problem of my own making and will continue setting up until I get it figured out.
Thanks for the comments. I will push on and figure it out.
Thanks Ron, I will get the hang of it.

Reading post from others with confussion on this shelter, I don't think I'm the only one with these first attempt issues.
I knew what was available and made my choice and still think the best for me.
A youtube type example might be worth a few less failed first attempts and a selling point with consumers considering what's available in this type shelter.
Again Thanks.

cannonball
04-15-2008, 14:56
Can't.

The point of the pole must fit into a brass grommet at the peak of the tent.

And be careful when placing the tip in the grommet and MAKE SURE it does not slip out during set up. You can sustain MAJOR damage to the tent if you get sloppy at this point. One of my buddies got a nasty rip in his by being careless.

Been there, done that:mad:. Fortunately a lil silynylon sealer and duct tape fixed it. Definately the most sensitive "caution zone".

10-K
04-20-2008, 16:09
I've now taken my Solo on 2 section hikes and after spending around 2 weeks in it I think I've figured out how to set it up correctly.

I do not think I will ever get it pitched in 2 minutes as the SMD website indicates. I'd like to see that.

Definitely props to Ron and SMD - I've got the Solo, the Duo and ordered the tent poles from him - all shipped immediately and in one case he worked with me to get a shipment at work next day on next to no notice.