PDA

View Full Version : New Balance trail runners

buff_jeff
04-14-2008, 21:26
I've been hearing good things about NB trail runners in general so I've set my eyes on these:
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT908OR.htm

Just wondering if there are any comparable, cheaper pairs or if these are no good. Thanks for any opinions in advance.

SGT Rock
04-14-2008, 21:29
They may work. I have some NB 806s I used for hundreds of miles. I went and replaced them as I felt they were starting to wear out - unfortunatly the new NB version I got were torn up worse in 300 miles than the others I had for about 2-3 times the mileage. I guess my point is just be advised that some NB versions are not as good as others.

buff_jeff
04-14-2008, 21:31
They may work. I have some NB 806s I used for hundreds of miles. I went and replaced them as I felt they were starting to wear out - unfortunatly the new NB version I got were torn up worse in 300 miles than the others I had for about 2-3 times the mileage. I guess my point is just be advised that some NB versions are not as good as others.

I'm prepared to buy multiple pairs....it sucks, but if I have to, I have to. I'm really just looking to get away from boots. If I can get upwards of 400 miles on them I'd be happy.

Bulldawg
04-14-2008, 21:31
I've been wearing New Balance stuff for work and play for years. Just recently got a pair of their "hiking boots" I guess you call them. NB 965. Probably got 100 miles on them on the trail, at work, at play and they are great shoes so far.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?type=MNFT&style=MW965BR&filterSize=9.5

SGT Rock
04-14-2008, 21:38
These are the ones I use for probably over 700 miles and are still holding together:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=3VBFLZOYIJVH5LAQBBLCCOVMCAEFAI WE?id=0032220823384a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0210801&cm_ite=0032220823384a&_requestid=125733

As I understand it, the model is discontinued but replaced by 809s

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2008, 21:40
I use a too large New Balance 473 that I can deliberately slide a professional insert & wear thicker socks, I normally wear a 11 I picked up a 13 because that was all they had at the outlet. No worries. Lightweight and very cool... Mine are green and brown:cool:

Bulldawg
04-14-2008, 21:41
These are the ones I use for probably over 700 miles and are still holding together:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=3VBFLZOYIJVH5LAQBBLCCOVMCAEFAI WE?id=0032220823384a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0210801&cm_ite=0032220823384a&_requestid=125733

Good looking shoe Rock. How much do they weigh?

SGT Rock
If I remember it was about 22 ounces for the pair.

Bulldawg
OMG that was fast!!

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2008, 21:53
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07690488000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Activewear&AthleticShoes&sName=Athletic%20Shoes&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

cheaper search

buff_jeff
04-14-2008, 21:58
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07690488000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Activewear&AthleticShoes&sName=Athletic%20Shoes&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

cheaper search

Haha, I'm wearing those right now! :D

Summit
04-14-2008, 21:59
If you want a little more rock protection and possibly more mileage, try one from this group:

http://www.rei.com/shoes/Men's+Cross-Training+Shoes?cm_re=toc*toc*mns_xtrain_shoes&vcat=REI_SSHP_FOOTWEAR_TOC (http://www.rei.com/shoes/Men%27s+Cross-Training+Shoes?cm_re=toc*toc*mns_xtrain_shoes&vcat=REI_SSHP_FOOTWEAR_TOC)

I'm wearing the Merrell Moab Ventilators right now and they feel great and give me sure footing. I've had good results with both Vasque and Merrell brands. I wouldn't spend the extra money on GoreTex either. The main difference between "trail runners" and "cross-trainers" is the later almost always have Vibram soles. But with the Vibram soles comes a little more weight - as usual, trade-offs! ;)

Montego
04-14-2008, 22:05
I'm using NB 476 trail runners bought at BassPro for about $49.00. They didn't have my width (2E) so I had to go wider (4E) but figure my feet will spread out some on my hike so it should be good to go. Just have to wear double socks starting out :D

take-a-knee
04-14-2008, 22:07

How did those goretex socks work with those shoes in the cold?

Summit
04-14-2008, 22:20
I wore Sealskinz socks with my Merrell Moab Ventilators (which as the name implies, have a lot of mesh to ventilate) on a cold, rainy day in Shining Rock Wilderness a week ago, and my feet were very warm and dry at the end of the day. Hiking in them was as comfortable as my standard two layer sock system. I wore merino wool liners with the Sealskinz on the outside.

SGT Rock
04-14-2008, 22:32
How did those goretex socks work with those shoes in the cold?
They actually worked really well as long as I didn't ford water that was over the top of them. Once water was over the top they took on water like buckets.

On the other hand. Once those things got wet, they didn;t dry well - but faster than Goretex boots.

map man
04-14-2008, 23:05
One great thing about New Balance is the variety of sizes -- not just several widths (often B thru EEEE), but different "lasts" as well. For instance, SL-1 is their "standard" shoe, while the SL-2 is a little narrower in the heel but wider and taller in the toe box. And they have other lasts as well -- these are just a couple common ones.

The source for these shoes in the original post, NB Web Express, is one I really like. They do a good job of listing all the shoe's features, including the "last." They also have good sales frequently. If you click on "men's running shoes," for instance, and then go to the very end of the results you get, you will see at least a half dozen different shoes on discount at any given time.

On my two week hike coming up in mid-May, I'm going to be trying just a regular running shoe for the first time (NB 767s, just replaced by the 768) instead of a trail runner. I've noticed that the tread on trail runners tends to be nobbier and made of a little harder, more durable material than regular running shoes. But last spring when I was hiking in a "trail" shoe I fell on my arse more than once when hiking on slick, wet surfaces like smooth rock or bog bridges. I can feel by running my hand over it that the regular running shoe has a softer, grippier and less knobby (getting more surface area of the sole in contact with the surface) sole than "trail" shoes I've used. And though a softer sole should wear out faster, let's face it, with almost all shoes a seam will blow out long before the tread wears out.

I'll report back in a few weeks on how the running shoe works.

Toolshed
04-15-2008, 00:35

Rock, thanks for the heads up. I wore those in 03-04 and Thought they were great. I think I will order a couple as I thought they were long gone.

Funny, I can visualize most of my various section hikes or hiking seasons when I see older pairs of NBAT 80#'s somewhere.
:D

bigcranky
04-15-2008, 07:14
One thing to note:

The NB 90x shoes use the SL-2 last, which is narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot. Dragonfly *loves* them. This last is much less common.

The 80x shoes (which are now up to the 811, I think), use the SL-1 last, which is the much more common NB last.

mudhead
04-15-2008, 07:35
One thing to note:

The NB 90x shoes use the SL-2 last, which is narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot. Dragonfly *loves* them. This last is much less common.

The 80x shoes (which are now up to the 811, I think), use the SL-1 last, which is the much more common NB last.

? Got me all excited. Post#1's link shows SL-1 last.?

The NB767 are pillow soft, until the dent in the footbed forms. They are too squishy for me. My feet...

They, and the model that replaces them, would be fine for me on smoothish trail.

mrc237
04-15-2008, 08:07
On my two week hike coming up in mid-May, I'm going to be trying just a regular running shoe for the first time (NB 767s, just replaced by the 768) instead of a trail runner. I've noticed that the tread on trail runners tends to be nobbier and made of a little harder, more durable material than regular running shoes. But last spring when I was hiking in a "trail" shoe I fell on my arse more than once when hiking on slick, wet surfaces like smooth rock or bog bridges. I can feel by running my hand over it that the regular running shoe has a softer, grippier and less knobby (getting more surface area of the sole in contact with the surface) sole than "trail" shoes I've used. And though a softer sole should wear out faster, let's face it, with almost all shoes a seam will blow out long before the tread wears out.

I'll report back in a few weeks on how the running shoe works.

I've used both TRs and flats TRs perform better, the flats tend to get slick as they wear especially on rock. So be careful.

2XL
04-15-2008, 10:35
NBWebexpress is a good source for New Balance and Dunham too.
Be sure to check the clearance area. Limited sizes, but great to get last years model at lower prices. I got some 810s for half price and I doubt there is a big difference with the new 811s

tcbonline
04-15-2008, 10:42
I've been wearing the NB 1110 lately...

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT1110GT.htm

They've got Gortex-XCR and I've found them to be pretty breathable. Good cushioning and traction. Really good toe protector which has come in handy. Hey and they look cool! :)

bigcranky
04-15-2008, 11:11
? Got me all excited. Post#1's link shows SL-1 last.?

Yeah, I see that now when I follow the link. Hmmm. Dragonfly has been wearing the 90x series for several years, and loves them -- but she specifically loves the narrow heel and wide forefoot of the SL-2 last. (Which the 904 and 906's had.) I checked the New Balance web site and it also shows the 908 with the SL-1 last. Too bad.

Sorry for the misinformation.

mudhead
04-15-2008, 11:15
I'll get over it. My mother did.

SL-2 is hard to find in stuff I want to wear.

Supposedly, an AL-2 last exists. I have never seen anything with one.

Asics work for me.

DrewNC2005
04-23-2008, 08:38
I've had the 908's for about a week now. I've just been wearing them around town and I love them - even more than my 907's.

Camping Dave
04-23-2008, 19:28
I've been hearing good things about NB trail runners in general so I've set my eyes on these:
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT908OR.htm

Just wondering if there are any comparable, cheaper pairs or if these are no good. Thanks for any opinions in advance.

I've had a pair of 908s for about a month now. They're pretty comfortable and very light no doubt about it. Are they worth a hundred bucks? I dunno, the 473s or some other less expensive shoe would probably serve my needs just as well. Heck, I'm a trail walker not a trail runner.

Go to a store and try on a pair. Proper fit is more important than saving a few ounces.

wrongway_08
04-23-2008, 19:29
Just got the 1110GT today and dropped in a set of Superfeet Insoles. Feel great!

Camping Dave
04-23-2008, 19:31
I'll get over it. My mother did.

SL-2 is hard to find in stuff I want to wear.

Supposedly, an AL-2 last exists. I have never seen anything with one.

Asics work for me.

New Balance makes a bunch of trail runners in RL-3 last, which has a narrow heel and wide forefoot just like the SL-2.

mudhead
04-23-2008, 19:43
I just checked nbwebexpress.

The issue is 12 4E size.

If anyone stumbles accross this size, with RL-3 last, I would really appreciate a PM.

2XL
04-23-2008, 19:48
Zappos.com has them, 1 pair left.

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:02
I just checked nbwebexpress.

The issue is 12 4E size.

If anyone stumbles accross this size, with RL-3 last, I would really appreciate a PM.

I couldn't find that size in the RL-3 last on the New Balance website. It appears that models built on the RL-3 last are not available in 4E width.

There are, however, many models built on the SL-2 last. (In an earlier post, you said SL-2 worked for you.)

Have a look at what's available in the SL-2 (http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category.asp?type=MNFT&perPg=16&showDetails=yes&filterSize=12&filterWidth=4E&filterLast=SL-2&sortBy=) last, in your size.

Earlier this week, I visited the New Balance Factory store in Oxford. The selection was impressive, and the prices were good. It might be worth the drive.

mudhead
04-23-2008, 20:12
Thanks. A trailrunner vs running shoe is what I got charged up about. One of those looked good. A motion control running shoe messes me up.

Wonder how the selection is in Skowhegan.

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:24
~

Wonder how the selection is in Skowhegan.

I didn't know what corner of Maine you were from, when I suggested Oxford.

I've never been to the Skowhegan store. If it's anything like the Oxford store, you'll have lots of running shoes to pick from. Although, trail runners were in much more limited supply, than road running shoes. Why not call ahead?

mudhead
04-23-2008, 20:40
The Skowhegan store is small. During the tent sale, they have selection. I wouldn't mind seeing the river full.

The above freezing temps at night are working a charm here in Acadia. Hope the same for your chunk of NH.

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:50
~
The above freezing temps at night are working a charm here in Acadia. Hope the same for your chunk of NH.

We have lost an incredible amount of snow in the last few weeks. Temperatures this week have approached 80F. We went from winter to summer, overnight. Gorham is virtually free of snow, at this time.

I was in the woods today. In open hardwood forests, the snow is disappearing fast. In areas shaded by spruce/fir, there are still deep pockets of snow and ice.

A month ago, people were predicting we would have snow until the 4th of July. :rolleyes: Once again, Mother Nature is showing us she's the boss.