PDA

View Full Version : And I wonder...

gurps
01-31-2004, 07:07
Hello. I'm just wondering... Let's just say I don't have enough money to make it through the trail. Is is possible to maybe find a couple of days work in towns to continue the trip, or is that even a good idea? And if that doesn't work, are panhandling folk musicians looked down upon? I would like to make this trip, but I have a wild idea about looking inside America at the same time.

Footslogger
01-31-2004, 10:18
Can't speak for panhandling but I'm pretty certain you wouldn't get much from other hikers so you'd have to do your begging in town. On the other hand I do know of 4 - 5 who got off the trail for a week or two at a time and worked at various jobs to finance their hikes. Obviously you couldn't know for sure in advance where you'd find work or what type of work it would be but I'd imagine that if you were willing to do a little investigating the work would be there.

Blue Jay
02-02-2004, 08:58
Hello. I'm just wondering... Let's just say I don't have enough money to make it through the trail. Is is possible to maybe find a couple of days work in towns to continue the trip, or is that even a good idea? And if that doesn't work, are panhandling folk musicians looked down upon? I would like to make this trip, but I have a wild idea about looking inside America at the same time.

Yes it is very possible to work along the trail. The jobs are menial and often dirty, but since most americans absolutely hate getting dirty these types of jobs are often available. After saying that it is important that you do not look dirty. You have to clean up prior to asking for work. Carry a nonhiker trash set of clothes that make you look "decent". As for panhandling folk musician, I don't think that would work, but I've never tried it, maybe it would. Go for it, as far as I am concerened this is the best way to hike the trail. Most trail towns are wonderful places, please do not abuse them. If you score a job do it well.

gurps
02-03-2004, 21:18
Thanks. I really find some weird vibe out of working my way up the trail. Almost like a chance to meet different people in the local areas. This is one of the most spur of the moment ideas I've had, so I was just wondering if working somewhere for a few days would be cool. And if not, I asked the question about panhandling. Almost a romantic idea... Young guy walking down the trail, trying to see America with a guitar, with nothing but a few supplies and a dream... Hmm, a little goofy, but whatever.

Mike Drinkuth
02-04-2004, 17:34
HEY GURPS!!!, songs have been written about less, my man!
I was hanging out with my family in Cincinnati one holiday week in 1984 and my uncle said he was "going for a walk". He strapped his guitar on his back and vanished. We didn't hear from him for about 4 weeks when he called to say he had hitchhiked to Miami and found a job there. He is a big goofball who played folk guitar for his supper for weeks on end. If he could do that, YOU can hike this little trail with us!!!
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!
(or don't...the dream lives, regardless)

Jumpstart
02-16-2004, 17:47
We hiked with a guy in '02..Slowpoke was his name and he hiked from town to town, took an afternoon to find some local work, worked until he could get enough food to get to the next town9 and in his case, cigarettes) and went on from there. I know he made it at least as far as MD, which was the last place we saw him.

mustang
02-17-2004, 13:49
I think it totally can be done. Ditto on the panhandling in town, depending on who you are around you could get a bad response to it on the trail. Also, be careful about the work you do in towns, I had some friends last year who got taken advantage of and ended up working a week for $20. But there are some hostels that will let you work for stay (especially if you are not with a huge group).
good luck. i would say that whatever it takes to get out on the trail, its worth it!

Mini-Mosey
02-18-2004, 08:36
I asked this same question(minus the music part)before somewhere-forget where-and I got negative responses. It is therefore gratifying to hear differently. I am definitely not in a position to do this yet due to life circumstances, e.g. seriously and chronically ill mother, but I hope someday the time will come.

bfitz
11-01-2005, 01:13
Gurps- just noticed your name, I know this thread is a little old, but as I have lived my life with the dicebag as I suspect you have;) I couldn't resist responding. You should know that a few months of work is all you need to get started, if you take advantage of work for stay, look for work n town (I know one girl who worked in the pizza hut in waynesboro for two weeks while living in her tent at the YMCA campgroud (bringing back leftover pizza to share with other hikers camped there...). Many people know hikers are cash needy and will go to places where hikers are to get workers (ask your local hostel owner about these people...) and remember there is a thing called "hiker boxes" at most hostels and hiker-freindly establishments where more fortunate or over-encumbered hikers leave food and supplies of all kinds for other hikers to sift through. I've seen people get shoes, gear, books, food , toiltries, first aid etc frequently from hiker boxes.

saimyoji
11-01-2005, 01:27
Was the girl Seraphim?

bfitz
11-01-2005, 01:41
yeah, thats her.

stupe
11-01-2005, 02:06
I spent a week in Duncannon, Pa last October, and I think that if you had some hustle, there was construction and rehab work to be done. I got offered work on a roofing job, but turned it down because I am a lazy bum and a gentleman of leisure. Your idea will probably work if you are extroverted about it.
I don't know if you will finish the trail in one season, though.

Marta
11-01-2005, 07:53
I have rarely seen panhandling musicians in the size of towns the AT passes through or near. Not enough foot traffic? (Isn't that ironic?)

kyhipo
11-01-2005, 10:28
heck man jump on that trail, hike and get some work for food! when you need it,its funny where you could wind up I was up in new England for 2yrs .ky

Freighttrain
11-01-2005, 10:38
why not just get a second job work and save money over the winter? nevermind, why work when one can be a begger

The Old Fhart
11-01-2005, 10:49
I've got to side with Freighttrain on this. Your fellow hikers don't like people trying to "borrow" from them and most towns already have their share of panhandlers. The only thing you'll accomplish by begging or pandhandling is to give all hikers a bad name. Part of hiking the trail is the logistics of how you can do this. If you're going to invest 5-6 months into hiking the A.T., plan on investing enough money as well to make your trip a success. It is my opinion that the people that aren't willing to properly prepare financially for the trip probably aren't willing to put the physical effort into finishing either.

Blister
11-02-2005, 12:47
I agree that "begging" is not the way to support yourself and I look down upon any healthy human being that does so. I have taken time off to "work" on about every hike I have done. On the PCT I stopped and bartended for a weekend, I think it was Sied Valley, the town with the pancake challenge? On the AT, I took time off to make enough money to finish the trail, again bartending at a restaraunt that I had worked for for years. Even this year on the CDT, I helped repaint an art car by the name of the Lizard King, getting it readyfor an art car parade. Myself and my hiking partner at the time were fed and put up in a wonderful condo for the duration of the festival just for painting the car. Work along the trail is definatley a possibility. A southbounder just left my place a little while ago after two weeks of working in hanover. In 200 I hiked with Screamer whom would collect cans in each town in order to buy the food he couldn't get from the hiker boxes. I have seen numerous hikers stop in along towns and pick up work, but be prepared to do this it will take a lot longer to complete a trail, knowing you need to allocate time specifically for working and completing any job agreed to.

The Old Fhart
11-02-2005, 12:56
Blister-"In 200 I hiked with......" Wow! You hiked the trail 1790 years before I did! ;)

sherrill
11-02-2005, 16:50
If you're begging for spare change you're panhandling. If you're playing guitar on the street with your case open for tips that's busking. Two different things, at least to me.

When I was in school in Chapel Hill I used to busk with an accordion player and actually made some good money. We even got a reputation for our rendition of "Born to Run" and would often have it requested.

Mags
11-02-2005, 17:12
Wow! You hiked the trail 1790 years before I did! ;)

In the year 200 AD. Wowsers! Must have been the AT (Appian Trail?)...

Mags (who obviously still has his Rome trip on the mind!)

the goat
11-02-2005, 17:41
When I was in school in Chapel Hill I used to busk with an accordion player and actually made some good money.

that does sound like fun, but still, you wouldn't make more than $1 in a trail town, no matter how good you are......except hanover, maybe.