PDA

View Full Version : One month on trail, where to start

taildragger
04-15-2008, 18:46
So, my plans suddenly got changed, now instead of three months to hike, I have one (June).

With that in mind, what would be a good section of the trail to hike. I'd love to do the sierra's, but I'm not sure if I could make it through with the snow levels that are going on? I know that at the least, I'd like to make it to Mount Whitney before I bail.

Any ideas? Maybe start at bear city and start truckin north?

The Weasel
04-15-2008, 19:24
i'd suggest starting at Campo (US/Mexico border) and seeing how far you can get. That makes you have the most 'thru' feeling, and you can then pick up at each stretch later. This is an excellent time to do that stretch, too.

TW

taildragger
04-15-2008, 19:26
i'd suggest starting at Campo (US/Mexico border) and seeing how far you can get. That makes you have the most 'thru' feeling, and you can then pick up at each stretch later. This is an excellent time to do that stretch, too.

TW

I have no real desire to have the feeling of a "thru" for now, if I want that feeling, then I'll try and thru it.

Also, with that late of a start, how will the desert sections treat me?

Sly
04-15-2008, 19:28
I'd start further up the trail past Wrightwood about mile 370 on the Angeles Crest Highway. Depending on your mileage you could probably make VVR or Toulemne Meadows

Sly
04-15-2008, 19:30
SoCA in June? Gotta be roasting, it's bad enough in May.

taildragger
04-17-2008, 20:57
bump.....

A-Train
04-21-2008, 10:22
Hmmm, June isn't the best month to be out there.....awfully hot and dry desert, and the Sierra is still melting.

I'd say start at the Saufleys (easiest transportation logistics) or Wrightwood (like Sly suggests). This puts you in high desert with slightly cooler temps and you will be around the pack, or just behind. This will take you through the Tehachapi's which can be pretty cool if you keep an open mind, and you'll be able to bust into the Sierra by the 3rd week of the month if you're moving. You can do the best part of the high Sierra and finish in Bishop, Mammoth or Tuolomne if you're motoring. This is also a great place to end up (especially as a non-thru-hiker) because you can play around in Yosemite, go to the valley, finish the JMT, hike half dome, climb, etc.

I'd say this section is your only real option. The southern desert won't be fun and everything north of the Sierra will still be chocked filled with snow.