PDA

View Full Version : White blazers in San Antonio?

dragonfeet
04-15-2008, 19:29
I have been living here for about six months moved from Dahlonega, Ga and I am going through hiking withdrawls. I am looking for some trails moderate to strenuous.

mudhead
04-15-2008, 19:41
Awhile back there was a flurry of TX posters. Might try the search function, with Houston as keyword. Some of the trails were on the coast, so fingers crossed!

Cuffs
04-15-2008, 19:45
Nothing strenuous near San Ann that I know of... OH, you mean TEXAS... sorry... I was thinking of the other San Antonio... I used to live in that one!

berninbush
04-15-2008, 20:01
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17839&highlight=lone+star+hiking

Try this thread. :-)

I like the Lone Star Trail because it's close to home for me. I know other parts of Texas have good trails too. Big Bend is supposed to be very cool.

Teatime
04-16-2008, 02:49
I was stationed at Kelly AFB years ago and seem to recall the Hill Country had some good trails. Check out Enchanted Rock State Park.
We recently moved to a little town North of Dallas and I too am going through hiking withdrawl. However, I might give the Ouchita Trail in Arkansas a spin sometime this Spring.

Miu
04-16-2008, 11:53
Big Bend has some good trails (Emory peak kicked my butt more than once!), but it's about 6 hours away from San Antonio. Sometimes I go to Friedrich Wilderness Park, which is on I10 close to La Cantera. It's not really strenuous hiking...but you gotta take what you can get in San Antonio...

gardenville
04-16-2008, 12:44
I have been living here for about six months moved from Dahlonega, Ga and I am going through hiking withdrawls. I am looking for some trails moderate to strenuous.

Hi, I also moved to San Antonio, TX from Dahlonega, GA but 8 years ago. I lived in Dahlonega for 11 years.

As far as I am concerned there is NO (long) hiking trails in Texas worth the cost $$ to get to them. There are many very nice 1 or 2 day trails here but you will be third priority on these trails. Horses, Mnt bikes first and then walking hikers. The Lone Star Trail is something but not worth the cost for me to get there. I did a short hike on the Lone Star Trail but it was about as exciting as any normal southern pine tree farm and almost no elevation change. Just a hot walk with little water.

I just save my money and try to get the time to drive back up to the AT for a hike once in awhile.

Pete Moss
04-16-2008, 13:13
I really like the Hill Country State Natural Area, its just a big network of trails and there are some good strenuous hills. Its in Bandera about 30 minutes outside of San Antonio. However, it is a State Park and its like 8 bucks for the day and overnight stay. Not a bank breaker, but isnt free either. Perdenales Falls is another good spot outside Austin.

Red Hat
04-17-2008, 12:17
I'm a native Texan and I'm sorry but I have to agree with Gardenville. Although there are a few trails, not much worth the drive from San Antonio. I have hiked the Somerville trailway (13 miles), the trail between Buecher and Bastrop state parks, parts of the Lone Star Trail, and a couple of trails in Big Bend. But honestly, there is nothing like hiking the AT.

dragonfeet
04-17-2008, 12:32
hey I appreciate all the replys. I am going to try the trail suggestions and I am going by the mountain bike shop today and ask about the trails they ride on. If i find any good ones I will let you all know.