PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers area weekend hike

Marta
04-15-2008, 19:34
I'm putting together a weekend plan for the Mt. Rogers area. I'm thinking about doing a loop of the AT from VA 603 to Deep Gap, and using the Mt. Rogers Trail to close the loop.

Does anyone have any great campsites to recommend? Where we wouldn't have to haul water for miles?

I have only the dimmest memory of Old Orchard Shelter. Is there nice camping anywhere around it?

What about other trails that we could work in as part of the loop?

little bear
04-15-2008, 19:37
if i remember correctly there is great camping infront of the shelter area about 50 yards, it is a big field with lots of room.

hopefulhiker
04-15-2008, 19:43
I would be interested Marta, Is this part of that Charlotte backpacker meetup group?

KevinAce
04-15-2008, 20:06
*waits for reply from lone wolf*

He's in Damascus and knows everything about that damn area. We did some drop-off point just east of Massie's Gap to VA 600 (22 miles). It was tough on us (but apparently not tough compared to the rest of the AT).

There was absolutely no problems with water back in early March - all of the streams were flowing.

bigcranky
04-16-2008, 07:16
Does anyone have any great campsites to recommend? Where we wouldn't have to haul water for miles?

I have only the dimmest memory of Old Orchard Shelter. Is there nice camping anywhere around it?

What about other trails that we could work in as part of the loop?

Great campsites: At the intersection of the AT and the Pine Mountain Trail, about 2 AT-miles south (uphill) of Old Orchard, walk through the fence and out into the open, and notice the large rock formation to your left-ish. There is a great camp site on top, and another on the far side under a small grove of trees if the wind is bad. You'll need to haul water.

Plenty of decent camping near Old Orchard Shelter. One of my favorite spots. Listen and watch for barred owls this time of year.

If you head SOBO, just before the Wise Shelter, you'll cross a large stream with a wooden footbridge. There are great campsites in the large grassy area before you cross the bridge. Lots of water in the creek.

There are many well-used campsites along the ridge between Rhododendron Gap and the Thomas Knob Shelter. There is a well-marked spring nearby, and another at the shelter. These campsites have terrific views, but it can get crowded on weekends.

SOBO past Thomas Knob Shelter, the trail goes into a hemlock forest for a while. At one point the trail comes out at a fence with a beautiful meadow. The trail turns right and follows the fence, but if you cross the stile, there is a nice campsite right in front of you in the open. There has been water down at the bottom of the hill toward the VA Highlands Horse Trail to your left.

Other trails: Coming down from Deep Gap on the Mt Rogers NST, pick up the spur trail to the right about halfway down, and take the Lewis Fork Trail back over to Old Orchard Shelter to complete the loop. (It should be obvious on a current map.)

You can make a longer hike by including the Iron Mountain Trail on the other side of VA 603. Again, check the map. That makes a ~25 mile loop.

Sounds like a great hike.