PDA

View Full Version : rookie

luz de aurora
01-31-2004, 09:46
hello! i am relatively new to the backpacking business, and i'm looking for advice on short weekend routes in NC, VA or SC that are good for a rookie to start on and get experience for the bigger ones later. any suggestions? thank you!:jump

rainmaker
01-31-2004, 19:26
Check out the area around Shining Rock or Middleprong . Easy access from Brevard and fantastic views. Also the Smokies can't be beat. For an equipment shakedown cruise , consider South Mountains State Park near Morganton. Once you get comfortable head out on the SC/NC Foothills Trail. Can't be beat.For more specific information get a copy of Allen Dehart's book , " Hiking in North Carolina" or " Hiking in South Carolina". You can probably find his books in your library or at The Great Outdoor Provision. Happy Hiking.

Pabst
01-31-2004, 19:56
Living in Charlotte and when I first started backpacking, a buddy of mine also suggested South Mountains State Park. It was a great place to shake out gear and getaway for a day or 2. Its a very beautiful park, I believe its the largest STATE park in NC, but don't quote me on that. It has lots of trails of different physical degrees, lots of streams, great trout fishing, and waterfalls. Make sure you hang your food, Raccons will steal it. Also saw a Rattlesnake, 2 copperhead, lots of deer, and heard some coyotes one night. It kinda a hidden park. Just watch out for all of the tourist at the waterfalls. On a clear day you can actually see Charlotte from Chestnut Knob. Some of the backpacking campsite have Privys, places to hang food and have wood supplied for you to burn. I Talked to a Ranger and he told me that they get inmates to split wood and help in keeping the park clean and trails mantained. If you plan on going there and have any questions. Give me shout, I know that park like the back of my hand.

Check out this site for a online map. South Mountains State Park (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/somo/home.html)