PDA

View Full Version : Dry clean a down bag?

Appalachian Tater
04-15-2008, 23:16
You're supposed to wash it per your manufacturers instructions. Dry-cleaning is not good for down and some of the materials and coatings that modern gear is made with. If your manufacturer doesn't have instructions, use Marmot's:

12. How do I clean my down jacket or sleeping bag?

PROPER CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWN GARMENTS

Wash in Granger’s Down Wash Plus.. Do not use typical liquid laundry detergent on Gore-Tex fabric. It may leave a residue ( such as fabric softeners, fragrance, color brighteners) which could clog the pores of the Gore-Tex. We recommend using warm water for wash and rinse. Do not use all hot or all cold water. It is extremely important to rinse the down very well. We recommend two rinse cycles. For spot cleaning, Granger’s offers G-Wash Spray Cleaner Plus. Both Granger’s cleaners include an odor elimination component that will help keep your bag ‘fresh.’

Dry in dryer on low heat (temperature not to exceed 140 degrees F). Put two clean tennis balls (or similar objects such as “sock balls”) in with the garment. It is extremely important to make sure that your down product is dry to the fullest in order for it to regain its loft. Remove at once; do not allow the garment to remain in the dryer. (A down jacket may take 2-3 hours and a down sleeping bag may take 4-6 hours to dry.)

For removing heavily soiled spots, it is recommended by W.L. Gore to use “Spray & Wash” or “Shout” We have found Grangers G-Wash Cleaner Plus spray very effective on all types of fabric including Gore-tex..

Do not dry-clean your down and/or Gore-Tex products.

SPECIAL SLEEPING BAG NOTICE:

DO NOT WASH OR DRY sleeping bags in home laundry equipment. Use a front-loading machine at a Laundromat and low temperature dryer. Home laundry equipment is too small and may damage sleeping bags.

http://marmot.com/service/faq

fiddlehead
04-16-2008, 02:18
I asked Feathered Friends once what to do, they said the best thing you can do for a bag is to keep it clean. When i asked what's the best way, they said to wash it in a bigger front loading washer with ivory soap flakes or down cleaner.

I've already washed mine (Hummingbird) in my regular washer at home with no problems. I typically wash it about 2-3 times during a thru.

for drying, i put in one of my running shoes and tape the door shut. And not on the highest (hottest) setting, but not on "no-heat" either.

LIhikers
04-16-2008, 07:03
Can I buy Granger’s Down Wash or another down cleaner anywhere (for example Walmart, Walgreen's, major grocery chains)?

Maybe, but you're more likely to find it at an outfitter or other places that sell outdoor gear.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-16-2008, 08:25
Unless the dry cleaner knows and is experienced in cleaning down, I would not recommend dry cleaning down. Considering where you live, it is unlikely the local cleaners are accustomed to cleaning down (many are in northern states).

Down is coated with some natural oils that you do not want to remove. This is why down wash is recommended instead of other detergents or soaps. Also, be very careful handling a wet bag - the baffles will tear. I put mine in a stout plastic laundry basket in the bathtub with down wash. this allows me to pick it up without putting any stress on the baffles. I knead the bag while in the wash and rinse it twice. Do not use fabric softener.

Then I take it (still in the laundry basket) outside and carefully put it on a clean sheet on my deck for several hours to allow all the excess water to drip off.

Then I very carefully load the bag back into the laundry basket and carefully put it and two empty downy balls (plungers removed) in the dryer. Many use tennis balls instead. Use a low setting and plan on this taking a while.

envirodiver
04-16-2008, 14:01
Can I buy Granger’s Down Wash or another down cleaner anywhere (for example Walmart, Walgreen's, major grocery chains)?

Nikwax also makes a down wash product.

desdemona
04-17-2008, 22:20
I don't have a down bag, but I have (used to wear-- before moving here) an Eddie Bauer down jacket. It might have made me look like a Michelin tire, but it sure was warm. Initially I dry cleaned them. The smell took ages to come out. I think it is best to wash them in the dryer. I always ended up loosing a few feathers but had I followed the directions here (or had them!!)
I would have done better. I wouldn't recommend dry cleaning anything that can be washed in a machine.

--des