PDA

View Full Version : Camping in PA

Suzzz
04-16-2008, 08:18
Hi,

I'll be in PA in mid-May on a motorcycle trip (my other passion). I'd like to camp in the Milton-Williamsport area around May 17th. A motorcycle doesn't offer much space for baggage so I won't have enough space to bring my bigger sleeping bag. How cold will it be for camping? I'll only camp if it's summer-like weather, otherwise I'll have to find a motel. I'd like to plan in advance so if someone could let me know what to expect in that area I'd appreciate.

Thanks !

Lellers
04-16-2008, 08:50
It could be quite warm in mid-May with highs in 70s, 80s and above, but you never know. PA catches a lot of weather from different diections -- lake effects, cold Canadian air, warm air pumping up from the south, etc. Regardless of how warm it could be in the day, at night, there will probably be a significant difference. I've camped mid-state PA in late May and still had nights in the 30s. My best guess at an average would be 70s during the day, 40s at night, give or take 10 degrees.

Suzzz
04-16-2008, 09:29
Thanks!

I think I can handle temps in the 40s with my small sleeping bag. I'll check the convertion tables (celcius to Farenheit) to make sure.

No need to tell me about the cold Canadian air, that's where I'll be coming from. Full face helmet and heated jacket included! Gotta love technology.

shelterbuilder
04-16-2008, 21:11
When you're down this way, be sure to check out the Loyalsock Trail - nice country in that neck of the woods.

Wags
04-16-2008, 22:51
after your hike, before you head back to canada i suggest you take route 76 S into philadelphia and grab a cheesesteak while you're here. yes they're worth it

ki0eh
04-17-2008, 07:30
John Kerry lost the election after he ordered one with Swiss cheese. The authentic is Cheez Whiz. Gotta love the States, eh? :)

Lellers
04-17-2008, 07:51
John Kerry lost the election after he ordered one with Swiss cheese. The authentic is Cheez Whiz. Gotta love the States, eh? :)

Authentic is NOT Cheez Whiz, tho it certainly is served at the tourist magnets, Pat's and Geno's. Plenty of native Philadelphians argue this point, but I stand by mine. Cheez Whiz is nasty and ordered mostly by the tourists and the transplant. American cheese, (which I realize is only one step ahead of Whiz) is the norm, and provolone for the foodies.:D

Lellers
04-17-2008, 07:53

Oh, yeah. I just wanted to add... it's very true.. Swiss cheese on a cheesesteak is an infamina! Kerry's lucky he made it out alive! :eek:

ki0eh
04-17-2008, 08:13
'Tis true, I get my notions of authenticity from signs in a store in Camp Hill. ;)

Back to the OP, are there particular points of interest drawing you to Milton or Williamsport? I'm sure we can direct you to state park camping in the mountains around those places depending on your itinerary objectives.

The Bridge Tavern in South Williamsport, right off the US 15 bridge oddly enough, seems always to have good food when I've stopped there. I'm usually trying to speed through to places along the GET though so I don't usually pass through there at eating times. Perhaps they even have cheese steak... just can't remember the menu well enough.

Suzzz
04-17-2008, 12:16
Milton is the best place geographically to meet with my brother who will be coming in from Ontario. I'll be coming in from New Brunswick. Our destination is Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) in North Carolina, one mile south of the Tennessee border.

We both love camping but if it rains we'll be roughing it in motel rooms.

Wags
04-17-2008, 12:19
the original cheesteaks are made 'wit wiz'. a 'philly cheesteak' bought anywhere but center city philly isn't really the same thing. spring is really fickle weather-wise in pa. one week you can have cold temps and possibly a late snowfall or killing frost, the next week you can be in the 70's. omg we're on a 5 day binge of 70 and sunny - supposed to hit 80 on saturday!!!! woowowow

Hooch
04-17-2008, 12:23
Our destination is Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) in North Carolina, one mile south of the Tennessee border.

And you're doing this on purpose? :rolleyes: I have to drive that to get to the NOC from Kentucky. Man! I'm glad that I won't have to do it again after my move back to NC in about a month and a half. :banana Seriously, be careful, have a good time and I hope the weather cooperates for you to stay outside.

Suzzz
04-17-2008, 13:36
Yes we're doing this on purpose. We live at different ends of the country so we decided to meet in Milton. Deal's Gap is about 1500 miles from home for both of us. When it's all said and done we'll probably have travelled close to 3500 miles each.

ki0eh
04-17-2008, 21:30
Lewisburg which is just south of Milton is a college community reputed to have a couple of good restaurants. I was in one once and it was so good I don't remember the name of it ;) The old center of town is on PA Route 45 between US 15 and the PA 147 expressway. There are several chain motels along US 15 between Lewisburg and I-80 opposite Milton. I presume you're finding the car campgrounds in the area listed, I have no experience with those.

You will probably find better food and more exciting riding and scenery were you to meet in the State College area, roughly an hour further west on I-80. Maybe score a yurt at Bald Eagle State Park? http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/baldeagle.aspx#camping If your brother's coming over the Niagara Frontier I could describe a much more scenic and shorter series of roads than heading to US 15 further north - and a scenic set toreturn to the US 15 corridor too...

Wags
04-17-2008, 22:47
milton is close to the susquehanna river. route 11/15, which is probably a road you'll be on to get there, runs parallel w/ it. pretty nice river to check out up close and personal

Suzzz
04-18-2008, 07:48
If your brother's coming over the Niagara Frontier I could describe a much more scenic and shorter series of roads than heading to US 15 further north - and a scenic set toreturn to the US 15 corridor too...

Thanks but the first leg is simply to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. So we'll be doing highways.

ki0eh
04-20-2008, 19:59
Growing up in upstate NY and driving through on the main highways I thought PA was an ugly state. Then I wound up here and discovered a lot more. Hope to see y'uns next time! :)

Toolshed
04-20-2008, 20:15
Ditto. Grew up in the Niagara Frontier as well. Spent a decade backpacking almost every weekend in NorthCentral and NW PA.
Always called it pennsyltucky til we moved here 8 yars ago. It is a beautiful state.