PDA

View Full Version : advice needed: airport to southern trail ease?

Emptyman
04-16-2008, 08:51
Hi all.
I have last minute time off in may. I would like to fly down and hike for about 10 days straight.
Question is: What is the easiest airport to use and then method of getting to nearest part of AT? Is there an easy way to do this? I am not picky about what section I get to hike, but mostly I do want to stay in the warmer, sunnier southern parts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
you can email me directly at emptyfullness (at) acanac.net

rob

Lone Wolf
04-16-2008, 08:56
fly into tri-cities airport in Tn. i could pick you up and take you to a trailhead

max patch
04-16-2008, 08:59
Fly into Atlanta and have the folks at Hiker Hostel pick you up, spend the night at their hostel, and then shuttle you to the trail. Very reasonable rates.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/

generoll
04-16-2008, 08:59
you may get more advice but i doubt you'll get better advice. that coupled with LWs offer oughta seal it.

Kerosene
04-16-2008, 09:54
Even easier, fly into Roanoke. You'll be on one of the most scenic sections of the trail (McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragons Tooth) about an hour after you land, counting baggage claim!

chili36
04-17-2008, 22:09
Fly to Knoxville and I can shuttle you to NFG or Fontana.

Emptyman
04-18-2008, 09:54
Wow. Thank you all for the responses. Very generous indeed! LoneWolf and chili, I will message you both after I determine the most cost-effective place to fly into. Thanks so much!!

Emptyman
04-20-2008, 08:53
Chili36,

OK, so I think I am ready to book things here. Thanks so much for willing to help a fellow hiker. I would be glad to pay for your gas if that helps. just the logistics of getting to the trail is difficult, of course, if you are not there.

Please tell me if there is a better time of day for you to pick me up. I am looking at coming in the 8th or 9th. I am not sure how I will get back to the airport after my hike - since I have no idea where I will get to or how- but I expect I will talk to others/ hitchhike etc.
Also, Fontana dam looks 'closed'. So maybe another entrance is better? Not sure, but whatever is easiest.
How far do you figure I can go in approx 12 days? I will be going at a respectable pace, I assume.

Thanks for your time.

emptyman/Rob