PDA

View Full Version : Need Info ASAP on Hot Springs

Mrs Baggins
04-16-2008, 20:46
I want to rejoin my hiking partner from last week and the only way I can do it is to drop my van at Hot Springs. I have to know ASAP (today is Wednesday 4/16 - I need to know by tomorrow afternoon 4/17) where I can leave my van that is SAFE at Hot Springs. From there I can get a ride back to Newfound Gap and then we'll hike north to Hot Springs so I can pick up my van again. I don't want to just leave it at a trail head. I'd rather leave it with a hostel/hotel/trail angel that will keep an eye on it. It could take us 10 days easily - we're very slow.

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Lone Wolf
04-16-2008, 20:51
I want to rejoin my hiking partner from last week and the only way I can do it is to drop my van at Hot Springs. I have to know ASAP (today is Wednesday 4/16 - I need to know by tomorrow afternoon 4/17) where I can leave my van that is SAFE at Hot Springs. From there I can get a ride back to Newfound Gap and then we'll hike north to Hot Springs so I can pick up my van again. I don't want to just leave it at a trail head. I'd rather leave it with a hostel/hotel/trail angel that will keep an eye on it. It could take us 10 days easily - we're very slow.

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

just as the AT enters Hot Springs northbound off the mountain there's a National Forest parking lot. totally safe

Mrs Baggins
04-17-2008, 04:52
just as the AT enters Hot Springs northbound off the mountain there's a National Forest parking lot. totally safe

For 10 days or more?? That's a long time to leave a vehicle unattended. That's why it worries me to leave it someplace like that.

Lone Wolf
04-17-2008, 04:59
suit yourself. i've left my truck there longer. no problems.

Lone Wolf
04-17-2008, 05:05
For 10 days or more?? That's a long time to leave a vehicle unattended. That's why it worries me to leave it someplace like that.

10 or more days to walk 67 miles?

Mrs Baggins
04-17-2008, 05:19
10 or more days to walk 67 miles?

Sloooowww, really really slooowww.........:D Took us from Sunday afternoon til Thursday afternoon to get from Wayah Bald to Stecoah Gap - 30 miles. We spent Tuesday afternoon and night at the NOC.

Next question - resupply options between Newfound Gap and Hot Springs. No way I can carry enough food for 70 miles at the pace we go. I need at least one resupply spot. I'm little (under 5' tall), weigh 120 lbs, and my 34 lb pack was already way too heavy for me last time out, with just 4 days of food. And I barely had adequate food for each day.

Hooch
04-17-2008, 05:32
Next question - resupply options between Newfound Gap and Hot Springs. No way I can carry enough food for 70 miles at the pace we go. I need at least one resupply spot. I'm little (under 5' tall), weigh 120 lbs, and my 34 lb pack was already way too heavy for me last time out, with just 4 days of food. And I barely had adequate food for each day. Once you get to Standing Bear, near the I-40 overpass, you could get Curtis to shuttle you in to Newport for a resupply run or have a mail drop sent to Standing Bear.

Mrs Baggins
04-17-2008, 06:57
:mad: I hate living this far from the trail. Hate hate hate. My son is going to start painting his car this weekend - a job of several days because of the coats of paint and all. He has to have my van to get to work every day. That leaves me with NO way to get anywhere out of this town and up to any part of the trail. Husband has to help with the paint job so he can't drive me. They work at opposite ends of the county and have very different hours so they can't ride share to let me have my husband's car. No Greyhound service. All my friends work and don't have time to shuttle me that far away. Renting a car is out of the question (expense). So.....no hiking the AT for me for at least 2 more weeks. I have to go cry now........:(

bulldog49
04-17-2008, 07:36
I agree with Wolf, it should be safe at the trailhead.

If it really is a concern, however, you might give Bluff Mt outfitters a call and see if they have a place you can leave it for a fee.

Johnny Swank
04-17-2008, 09:02
Third on the NFS parking lot. Never heard of problems there, and we've used it several times.

Mrs Baggins
04-17-2008, 09:09
Third on the NFS parking lot. Never heard of problems there, and we've used it several times.

Okay. I probably am not going to get to go in any case because of transportation problems now, but if I do get to go I have yet another question..........

If I'm starting at Newfound Gap and going north, do I still have to get a permit to hike??? Where?? Do I have to get reservations to stay in a shelter or as a section hiker am I just out of luck?? It's all very confusing when you read the rules as stated on the map. :-?:confused:

Johnny Swank
04-17-2008, 09:16
You need to get a permit and reservations from NPS if you're camping in the GSMNP, and shelter reservations for the AT usually are booked well in advance. The hiking info page, with phone numbers for more info, is http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/hiking.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-17-2008, 09:27
Okay. I probably am not going to get to go in any case because of transportation problems now, but if I do get to go I have yet another question..........

If I'm starting at Newfound Gap and going north, do I still have to get a permit to hike??? Where?? Do I have to get reservations to stay in a shelter or as a section hiker am I just out of luck?? It's all very confusing when you read the rules as stated on the map. :-?:confused:::: Dino gives Mrs Baggins a hug :::

You will need to get a backcountry permit (this applies to all hikers). You can get those at these locations (not available on-line or by email):
Great Smoky Mountains National Park requires a permit for all backcountry camping in the park.

Backcountry permits are free and are available at the following locations:
• Oconaluftee Visitor Center
• Sugarlands Visitor Center
• Twentymile Ranger Station
• Fontana Marina
• Fontana Dam Visitor Center
• Deep Creek Campground Office
• Smokemont Campground Office
• Cataloochee Valley near campground
• Big Creek Ranger Station
• Cosby Campground Office
• Greenbrier Ranger Station
• Elkmont Campground Office
• Tremont Environmental Center
• Cades Cove Campground Office
• Abrams Creek Ranger Station.
Registration areas are accessible 24 hours a day. Permits must be picked up in the park at one of the locations listed above.

(Mrs. Baggins - you will be driving past the Oconaluftee Visitor Center to get to Newfound Gap from your area)

Thru-hikers do not have to specify where they will stay, but section hikers and others do. According to GSMNP, a thru-hiker is someone who hiked 50 miles before entering the park and will hike 50 miles after leaving the park.

The park requires that you stay at designated campsites and shelters while camping in the backcountry. All sites available on the AT require a reservation.

Plan your trip and determine which sites you plan to stay. Be prepared to to tell them where you plan to stay when calling the Backcountry Reservations Office. The number is (865) 436-1231 and it is open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily. You may make reservations up to one month in advance of the first day of your trip. (For example, if you wish to backpack on August 8-12, you may call the Backcountry Reservation Office on July 8 to make reservations for the entire length of time you will be backpacking.)

Mrs Baggins
04-17-2008, 09:44
::: Dino gives Mrs Baggins a hug :::

You will need to get a backcountry permit (this applies to all hikers). You can get those at these locations (not available on-line or by email):
Great Smoky Mountains National Park requires a permit for all backcountry camping in the park.

Backcountry permits are free and are available at the following locations:
Oconaluftee Visitor Center
Sugarlands Visitor Center
Twentymile Ranger Station
Fontana Marina
Fontana Dam Visitor Center
Deep Creek Campground Office
Smokemont Campground Office
Cataloochee Valley near campground
Big Creek Ranger Station
Cosby Campground Office
Greenbrier Ranger Station
Elkmont Campground Office
Tremont Environmental Center
Cades Cove Campground Office
Abrams Creek Ranger Station.
Registration areas are accessible 24 hours a day. Permits must be picked up in the park at one of the locations listed above.

(Mrs. Baggins - you will be driving past the Oconaluftee Visitor Center to get to Newfound Gap from your area)

Thru-hikers do not have to specify where they will stay, but section hikers and others do. According to GSMNP, a thru-hiker is someone who hiked 50 miles before entering the park and will hike 50 miles after leaving the park.

The park requires that you stay at designated campsites and shelters while camping in the backcountry. All sites available on the AT require a reservation.

Plan your trip and determine which sites you plan to stay. Be prepared to to tell them where you plan to stay when calling the Backcountry Reservations Office. The number is (865) 436-1231 and it is open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily. You may make reservations up to one month in advance of the first day of your trip. (For example, if you wish to backpack on August 8-12, you may call the Backcountry Reservation Office on July 8 to make reservations for the entire length of time you will be backpacking.)

Gees. Well, that's out then. I'd be joining a thru-hiker and have no idea what her shelter plans are let alone would I be able to list exactly where I'd plan to stay. Insane. I'll just have to wait until she's clear of that red tape madness and then join her. I'll save the Smokies for another time when I can qualify as a "thru hiker" by their rules.

Hooch
04-17-2008, 11:21
Gees. Well, that's out then. I'd be joining a thru-hiker and have no idea what her shelter plans are let alone would I be able to list exactly where I'd plan to stay. Insane. I'll just have to wait until she's clear of that red tape madness and then join her. I'll save the Smokies for another time when I can qualify as a "thru hiker" by their rules.Immediately north of the Smokies, the best place for you to join your friend is probably the I-40 overpass/Pigeon River area, in close proximity to Standing Bear Farm.

bulldog49
04-17-2008, 11:52
Immediately north of the Smokies, the best place for you to join your friend is probably the I-40 overpass/Pigeon River area, in close proximity to Standing Bear Farm.

Don't leave your car there at Davenport Gap, lot of vandalism has ocurred there. Instead, leave it parked at SBF.

bulldog49
04-17-2008, 11:54
Actually, you could leave your van at SBF, hike wth your friend to HS and get a shutle back to SBF from Bluff Mt Outfitters.

chili36
04-17-2008, 22:20
I-40 to Hot Springs isn't going to even be close to a 10 day walk.

Given that you are going to hike slow, maybe Waterville (I-40) to Erwin?

Mrs Baggins
04-19-2008, 07:45
We've worked it out after all - my hiking partner had to leave the trail for a couple of days to go home. She's going to come here to pick me up and we'll head up to Gatlinburg tomorrow, get a shuttle to Newfound Gap, and start from there. She called about shelter reservations and it's all set for the two of us. Apparently it's been very slow in the Smokies since Spring Break ended and shelter space has not been a problem. We're going to count on it because we've sent our Hubbas ahead to Standing Bear Hostel. She does have a tarp tent that we can both squeeze under if we absolutely have to. Without the 3 lbs of tent I can carry better food. We're headed to Hot Springs and that's it for me til probably July. Too many other trips lined up (tent trailer camping near the Foothills Trail, trip to CA, trip to Scotland). :banana:D