PDA

View Full Version : Trail Condition

sleeman13
04-16-2008, 22:38
Anyone know what that condition in New York or Massachusetts are right now? Thanks.

Cosmo
04-17-2008, 21:20
The last vestiges of snow at the highest elevations has been melted out by this week's warm and sunny weather. Some mud in the usual spring locations. Blackflies will be out soon. Fire danger is pretty high because the duff has been baked dry by several days of direct sunlight through leafless trees. Be careful at campsites.

Cosmo

gsingjane
04-18-2008, 06:33
Disagree on the snow comment. There was a fair amount of snow in MA two days ago. I think it's gotten warmer since then but it was really, really cold. Lots of blowdowns and where you could find the trail, it was super-marshy. JMO, Jane

ARambler
04-18-2008, 09:00
Disagree on the snow comment. There was a fair amount of snow in MA two days ago. I think it's gotten warmer since then but it was really, really cold. Lots of blowdowns and where you could find the trail, it was super-marshy. JMO, Jane

Were you on the North side of Greylock? I did not see any snow in New York (near Denningtown road in Fahnstock) last Sunday. The bugs were coming out, but I don't think the black flies are bighting yet. Today and tomorrow should be great. I think the rain is coming Sunday.

gsingjane
04-18-2008, 10:35
No, we weren't that far north. We went from Rt. 23 outside Great Barrington up to Dalton, and there sure was a fair amount of snow, especially on the north sides of the mountains. We started to see a few black flies but nothing major. It got a lot warmer our last day (Wednesday) and I expect that most of the snow will be gone within the next couple of weeks. Jane

Cosmo
04-18-2008, 20:19
Jane,
Thanks for the info, my section at the north end of Mass is pretty clear, but has few northern slopes. We are set to clear blowdowns trailwide this weekend and next. Any spots that were particularly bad on your hike?

Cosmo

gsingjane
04-19-2008, 06:46
I need to re-check my map this morning, I know there is one spot (somewhere between Oct. Mtn. and Kay Wood) where the trail has become a beaver pond. It's funny, there is a white blaze standing out in the middle of the pond all by itself on a tree! I will get you the exact location and PM you, because people are going to wind up cutting a new trail to get around it and I'm sure you will want to decide where it will be. Also, several big blowdowns on the slope of the mountain you ascend going through Beartown, again I will get you the exact coordinates.

Thank you for your service to the trail. It's got to be a heavy-duty job.

Jane

adamkrz
04-19-2008, 07:10
We just did a 2 day hike this past monday and tuesday from Salisbury Ct. to Great Barrington Mass and found the trail in good shape, There was some Ice/Snow leaving Sages Ravine.

I really liked the lean-to shelters in Mass. which are larger and have a great loft area- Having a fire a night is also a big plus..

Chef2000
04-19-2008, 21:44
I need to re-check my map this morning, I know there is one spot (somewhere between Oct. Mtn. and Kay Wood) where the trail has become a beaver pond. It's funny, there is a white blaze standing out in the middle of the pond all by itself on a tree! I will get you the exact location and PM you, because people are going to wind up cutting a new trail to get around it and I'm sure you will want to decide where it will be. Also, several big blowdowns on the slope of the mountain you ascend going through Beartown, again I will get you the exact coordinates.

Jane

Cosmo I was out Twice already, my section is clear from County road too Branch Rd, with the exception of two for chainsaw crew. One is a leaner and the other a step over. Don covered Branch to Pittsfield, with 3 for chainsaw crew.

Cosmo
04-20-2008, 10:28
Thanks, Jane. Too bad about that beaver pond, sounds like it may be a continuation of an ongoing discussion we've been having with the beavers.

Looking forward to your report. Several of our minions have been out recently checking their sections, but it's hard to get a full picture. Feel free to e-mail me at <[email protected]> with any info you have.

Cosmo

Jane

gsingjane
04-20-2008, 12:34
"Ongoing discussion," that's super-cute!

Okay here's what we saw to the best of my recollection:

First day out, from Rt. 23 to Mt. Wilcox N, everything in v. good shape. Of course lots of singed leaves, stumps, etc. from your recent forest fire, but other than the seasonal swampiness, all looked good.

Second day out, from Mt. Wilcox N. to UGP, between Beartown Mtn. Road and Jerusalem Road, many blowdowns. Probably 5-6 spots where you had to bushwhack for a distance around the trees, and then figure out your way back to the trail. After that, in good shape.

Third day out, from UGP to October Mtn., the section after Finerty Pond up to County Road was hard to navigate. Again, several spots where the marsh and the bridges are no longer coinciding and the undergrowth is hard to navigate.

Fourth day out, from October Mtn. to Dalton, the flooded out portion is between Pittsfield and Blotz Roads; also, again, there are several spots where the swamp has overtaken the bridges but it's better than further south. Otherwise all in good shape.

Please don't take any of this as critical, the trail is in amazing shape considering that it's been all winter! Again, thanks so much to all who do so much ...

Jane in CT

Cosmo
04-20-2008, 21:29
Excellent info, thanks Jane!

Cosmo

"Ongoing discussion," that's super-cute!

Okay here's what we saw to the best of my recollection:

First day out, from Rt. 23 to Mt. Wilcox N, everything in v. good shape. Of course lots of singed leaves, stumps, etc. from your recent forest fire, but other than the seasonal swampiness, all looked good.

Second day out, from Mt. Wilcox N. to UGP, between Beartown Mtn. Road and Jerusalem Road, many blowdowns. Probably 5-6 spots where you had to bushwhack for a distance around the trees, and then figure out your way back to the trail. After that, in good shape.

Third day out, from UGP to October Mtn., the section after Finerty Pond up to County Road was hard to navigate. Again, several spots where the marsh and the bridges are no longer coinciding and the undergrowth is hard to navigate.

Fourth day out, from October Mtn. to Dalton, the flooded out portion is between Pittsfield and Blotz Roads; also, again, there are several spots where the swamp has overtaken the bridges but it's better than further south. Otherwise all in good shape.

Please don't take any of this as critical, the trail is in amazing shape considering that it's been all winter! Again, thanks so much to all who do so much ...

Jane in CT