PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Whiteblaze Section Hikers

kevin
01-31-2004, 17:24
I thought it would be interesting to have a table of this years Whiteblaze section hikers similar to the one set up for thrus. This is my first attempt at a table, so it is extremely basic. Feel free to email me ([email protected]) or reply to this thread and I'll add your name to the list. Also, let me know if I messed up on your entry and I'll get it corrected. Some replies don't fit well into the table, so I just listed what I could.

<TABLE border="1">
<CAPTION><EM>2004 Whiteblaze Section Hikers</EM></CAPTION>
<TR><TH>Username<TH>Start Date<TH>End Date<TH>Start Location<TH>End Location
<TR><TD>2XL<TD>Late June<TD><TD>NOBO CT<TD>
<TR><TD>2XL<TD>Late July<TD><TD>SOBO NY<TD>
<TR><TD>2XL<TD>Late August<TD><TD>NOBO Mass
<TR><TD>ALL DAY<TD>June 25<TD>Aug. 15<TD>Rte. 9, VT<TD>Monson, ME
<TR><TD>Ankle Bone<TD>Oct 10<TD>Oct 15<TD>Wallace Gap<TD>Fontana
<TR><TD>atpaul<TD>May 4th<TD>May 8th<TD>Amicalola<TD>Woody Gap and back
<TR><TD>B Thrash<TD>May<TD>May<TD>Caledonia State Park, PA<TD>Swatara Gap
<TR><TD>B Thrash<TD>August<TD><TD>N. Adams<TD>Andover
<TR><TD>Carey<TD>Feb. 29th<TD><TD>Springer<TD>Hot Springs, NC
<TR><TD>DebW<TD><TD>New York<TD>
<TR><TD>Hikerhead<TD>April 4th<TD>April 11th<TD>Springer<TD>
<TR><TD>Jack Tarlin<TD><TD><TD><TD>
<TR><TD>Jamarshal<TD>Late April<TD><TD>Port Clinton, PA<TD>Delaware Water Gap
<TR><TD>James<TD>Feb 28th<TD><TD>Fontana Dam<TD>Davenport Gap
<TR><TD>Jaybird<TD>May 1st<TD>May 8th<TD>Clingmans Dome, TN<TD>Hot Springs, NC
<TR><TD>Jaybird<TD>Sept.<TD><TD>Hampton, TN<TD>Damascus, VA
<TR><TD>Jigsaw<TD>May 1st<TD>May 9th<TD>Clingmans Dome<TD>Hot Springs
<TR><TD>Jigsaw<TD>Sept.<TD><TD>Andover<TD>Gorham
<TR><TD>JimSproul & Son<TD>March 5th<TD>Mid March<TD>Springer<TD>
<TR><TD>Jody7818<TD>May<TD><TD>Springer<TD>GA/NC Border
<TR><TD>Kevin<TD>Late May<TD>August 1st<TD>Springer<TD>
<TR><TD>Kerosene<TD>April 4th<TD>April 11th<TD>Amicalola<TD>Franklin, NC
<TR><TD>Knightjh<TD>May/June<TD><TD>PA/MD State Line<TD>WV/VA State Line
<TR><TD>Lilredmg<TD>Late May/Early June<TD>June<TD>Springer<TD>
<TR><TD>L Wolf<TD>Mid-March<TD><TD>Springer<TD>Damascus
<TR><TD>NJPacker<TD>May 29th<TD><TD>Mason-Dixon<TD>Delaware Water Gap
<TR><TD>NJPacker<TD>Fall<TD><TD>Delaware Water Gap<TD>NY State Line
<TR><TD>oldkathy<TD>March 14<TD>March 20<TD>Springer<TD>
<TR><TD>oldkathy<TD>June<TD>July<TD>PA<TD>Delaware Water Gap
<TR><TD>Papa Bear<TD>Sept 1st<TD>Sept 8th<TD>Monson<TD>Katahdin
<TR><TD>Papa Bear<TD>Mid Oct<TD>Late Oct<TD>Duncannon, PA<TD>Delaware Water Gap
<TR><TD>Papa John<TD>May<TD>June<TD>Fontana Dam<TD>Damascus
<TR><TD>Peep<TD>May 15th<TD>May 21st<TD>Carvers Gap<TD>Damascus
<TR><TD>Peter pan<TD><TD>May 31st<TD>Pearisburg, VA<TD>Tye River, VA
<TR><TD>Peter pan<TD>Aug<TD>Aug<TD>North SNP<TD>PA
<TR><TD>Poison Ivy<TD>April (weekends/short trips)<TD>October<TD>Chateauguay Road, VT <TD>Grafton Notch, ME
<TR><TD>Rainmaker & Ma<TD>October<TD>November<TD>Craig Creek Valley, VA<TD>
<TR><TD>Smiley G and Storm<TD>May 1st<TD>May 8th<TD>Deep Gap<TD>Amicalola
<TR><TD>Steve Hiker<TD>January<TD><TD>Cosby Knob<TD>
<TR><TD>Stickman<TD>March 13th/14th<TD><TD>Roan Mountain, TN<TD>Damascus, VA
<TR><TD>Texashiker<TD>Early July<TD><TD>Connecticut<TD>Connecticut
<TR><TD>Twilight<TD>April<TD>April<TD>New York<TD>New York
<TR><TD>Twilight<TD>June (tentative)<TD><TD>Pennsylvania<TD>
<TR><TD>uscgretired<TD>mid April<TD><TD>Hiawasse, GA<TD>Bly Gap
</TABLE>

Papa Bear
01-31-2004, 17:44
Kevin

I expect to do 2 sections this year.

1) Monson to Katahdin starting around Sept. 1st, ending around Sept. 8th.
2) Duncannon, PA to the Delaware Water Gap, starting mid october, probably around 10 days.

When these two sections are done, I will have done the whole north part of the trail from Harpers ferry to Katahdin.

Pb

rainmaker
01-31-2004, 18:18
Ma and I will spend most of October and November finishing Virginia. We'll start where we left off last year , Craig Creek Valley , Va. 621.

attroll
01-31-2004, 21:41
If you want to keep updating that one Kevin go for it. If it gets to big you might have to split it up.

twilight
02-01-2004, 00:00
I will be hiking all of NY, this April! :clap And finishing NJ, in May :banana And in June I would like to start PA, but I haven't made any definite plans about that one yet! :-? Would like to get some time on PA this weekend or this month!?! :-?

Twilight :jump

poison_ivy
02-01-2004, 10:02
I'm afraid I won't fit in your table very well but I'm a section hiker as well. I'm planning to finish from Chateauguay Road in Vermont to Grafton Notch in Maine this year. I'll be doing weekend and a couple of five-day hikes... not just all at one time. I'll be starting in April and finishing in October as I have it planned out right now.

If all goes as planned, I will then have hiked the AT from the CT/ NY border through New Hampshire.
:banana

-Ivy

Lilred
02-01-2004, 11:08
I'll be starting my next section hike the end of May, first of June. Starting at Springer and hiking for two or three weeks. I was going for the whole summer, but lack of money got in the way....<<sigh>>.

Kevin, still want to start out together? I'm not a fast hiker, but would love to start out with another whiteblazer.

JimSproul
02-01-2004, 11:17
My oldest son and I will section hike north from Springer on 3/5 for about 8 days. Pace and destination to be determined. We might just go to Neels Gap and Back to Amicalola.

uscgretired
02-01-2004, 12:40
Section Hike from entrance to trail on U.S. Highway 76 outside of Hiawasse, Georgia South to Amicalola State Park. Will be starting on 17th or 18th of April (possibly earlier in April, all dependent on a good weather window). Upon reaching Amicalola, will pick up my car and drive back to Hiawasse to finish the section North to the GA/NC line (Bly Gap). This will be my fourth year of doing this section hike. I am not on anyones clock but my own so fortunately I can be flexible on departure time in April.

Jody7818
02-02-2004, 08:07
I'll be doing a section hike sometime in May. I plan on hiking all of the Georgia section. Hopefully I can finish it within a weeks time. Is that doable?

Youngblood
02-02-2004, 10:20
I'll be doing a section hike sometime in May. I plan on hiking all of the Georgia section. Hopefully I can finish it within a weeks time. Is that doable?

Jody,

First you have to decide where your section hike will start & end so that you can see if you have enough days to hike that mileage. The reason I say that is because some people start at Amicalola State Park and hike the Approach trail while others start at where Forest Service Road 42 crosses the AT 0.9 mile north of Springer. Likewise, some people end the Georgia section hike at the last paved road crossing in Georgia (US76) while others end at the first trailhead after you cross the North Carolina border (Deep Gap). For reference, here are the mileage markers relative to Springer Mountain:

Amicolala SP- 8.8 mile south of Springer.
FSR 42- 0.9 mile north of Springer.
US76- 66.8 miles north of Springer.
GA/NC border- 75.4 miles north of Springer.
Deep Gap- 82.4 miles north of Springer.

Using these guidelines, a GA section hike could range from 67.7 miles to 91.2 miles.

Don't forget that if you have a specific time limit that you may need to budget some time for shuttles, as it takes a few hours to drive from one end of the trail to the other.

Hope this helps,
Youngblood

Kerosene
02-02-2004, 13:08
Looks like I'll be starting at Amicalola on April 4th, hiking north for the week with a soccer buddy and perhaps a few other WhiteBlaze members. I hope to make it to Franklin, NC by the following Sunday. I'm doing this section during the peak starting season to experience the "rush" on advice of Peaks!

texashiker
02-04-2004, 19:45
I will be starting my AT section hike this year. I will be doing all of CT the beginning of July!

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2004, 20:33
I'll be in Western North Carolina from mid-March to mid-May and hope to hike a great deal there, including some serious blue-blazing in the Smokies. Looking forward to the Erwin-Damascus stretch as well, with some extra time in the area around the highlands and Overmountain shelter. After Trail Days, I hope to do most of Virginia, including an extended trip to the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands area. Later on, I'll be out and about in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Will likely be back in Hanover during peak thru-hiker season; hope to run into lots of you guys out there this spring and summer...

A-Train
02-04-2004, 20:39
Why don't you just do the whole thing then? Hows that for an idea? :)

I'll be hiking the LT this summer.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2004, 20:43
Springer ----> Damascus Mid March

B Thrash
02-04-2004, 20:52
From US Hwy 30 at Caledonia State Park in PA to Swatara Gap in May 2004. Start at CT/VT state line in August 2004 finishing up at Gorham, NH or Andover, Maine. (Moving North).

steve hiker
02-04-2004, 21:09
I'm doing the AT in bits and pieces, as I can find the time. Did the northern half of the Smokies last month and will go back in a couple weeks to do the southern half, perhaps contining on to Franklin. Because work ties me down it looks like I'm on the 30 year plan, so may complete by 2034.

jigsaw
02-04-2004, 21:15
i'll be going may 1-9 with jaybird and model-t's group, clingmans dome to hot spring's. then in sept. heading to andover to gorham i also have to finish kinsmans notch to glencliff some weekend. one piece at a time.

stickman
02-04-2004, 21:18
I will be doing Roan Mountain, Tennessee, to Damascus, Virginia starting about March 13 or 14. Brrrr!

Hikerhead
02-04-2004, 22:44
Oh yeah!!! I'm going to be starting on Springer April 4th for a week, I'm going to be the sweeper for the Kerosene team. Hopefully, a slower hiker than me and his sure footed wife from Alabama will join in. And with a little luck another hiker gifted with fast feet and a light pack will come down from the Boston area.

Spring is just around the corner :)

Kerosene
02-05-2004, 15:16
Hikerhead: As a long-time soccer player I can appreciate the concept of a good "sweeper"!

papa john
02-05-2004, 17:53
If I can find out what is wrong with my feet, I will be doing a shakedown hike from Springer to Unicoi Gap or thereabouts sometime in March and if that goes well, I will be picking up where I left off at Fontana Dam and try to make it to Damascus sometime in May/June. Would then like to do a fall hike from Damascus to Waynesboro maybe? How far is that?

ALL DAY
02-06-2004, 00:40
I am attempting the hike in 4 big sections. This year I will be doing Rte 9, Vermont - Monson ME. I live in CT and have to jump off the trail for a wedding and a family Annual. I will be leaving late June till mid August. Say 6/25-8/15.

Since I will be doing the White Mts. and Maine this time,about how much mileage should I expect to do? I hiked from Delaware Water Gap to Catawba last summer and averaged around 18 miles a day. Unfortuantely I banged up my feet pretty good and had a lot of stops to rest the feet.

Peaks
02-06-2004, 09:30
Since I will be doing the White Mts. and Maine this time,about how much mileage should I expect to do? I hiked from Delaware Water Gap to Catawba last summer and averaged around 18 miles a day. Unfortuantely I banged up my feet pretty good and had a lot of stops to rest the feet.

Well, from some antidotal data, it's say that you would probably do about 80% of you Mid-Atlantic pace in New Hampshre and Maine. So, if you were doing around 18 miles per day in the Mid Atlantic States, then that would be about 14 miles per day in Maine and New Hampshire.

Generally speaking, it usually takes the typical thru-hiker about 5 weeks to go from Hanover to Katahdin. That equates to an average pace of 13 miles per day overall and should allow for a couple of zero days

Carey
02-06-2004, 09:45
Springer to Hot Springs, NC beginning February 29

Jaybird
02-06-2004, 10:06
[QUOTE=kevin]I thought it would be interesting to have a table of this years Whiteblaze section hikers......

section-hiking Clingmans Dome (TN) to Hot Springs, NC May 1st- May 8th
with Jigsaw, Model-T, DragonFly, TooTall & possibly Walmart.
( now notoriously known as: "the Model-T crew")

also section hiking Hampton TN (US321) to Damascus,VA sometime in Sept
2004 :D

see ya'll UP the trail!

jojo0425
02-06-2004, 12:09
We are hiking from Deep Gap to Amicolola from May 1 to May 8, HORRY, it'll be my first full section of the A.T.

Smiley G and Storm

knightjh
02-06-2004, 12:22
Not sure if this is considered long enough or not but I'm going to hike from PA line south to the VA line in May (or June)
Is that long enough to be considered a section hiker ? :confused:

jamarshall
02-06-2004, 18:49
Port Clinton, PA to Delaware Water Gap in late April (exact week will depend on weather). That will finish MD and PA for me. I figure at this rate I'll have the whole trail done when I'm 90 :)

B Thrash
02-06-2004, 19:53
Not sure if this is considered long enough or not but I'm going to hike from PA line south to the VA line in May (or June)
Is that long enough to be considered a section hiker ? :confused:

This hike took me about four or five days from US Hwy 30 in PA to Harpers Ferry WV, and yes you will be a section hiker.

DebW
02-06-2004, 22:28
I'll be doing New York this year, don't yet know when. Also have to finsh my last 40 miles of the Long Trail. Maybe I can work in a few more miles now and then.

BTW, how can BThrash start hiking at the CT/VT line? Isn't Massachusetts in there somewhere?

B Thrash
02-07-2004, 20:11
I'll be doing New York this year, don't yet know when. Also have to finsh my last 40 miles of the Long Trail. Maybe I can work in a few more miles now and then.

BTW, how can BThrash start hiking at the CT/VT line? Isn't Massachusetts in there somewhere?

DebW: My mistake, It was to read MA/VT state line, I will start in N. Adams, MA about two or three miles from the state lines. I done CT/MA in September 2003 and saw where you had signed the register in several registers maybe a month or more before I come through.

NJPacker
02-08-2004, 20:50
Kevin,
I'm starting on Saturday, May 29 at the Mason-Dixon Line and finishing at Delaware Water Gap. Sometme inthe fall, I'll start at Delaware Water Gap and walk to the NY state line. NJpacker

Peep
02-10-2004, 11:53
Carver's Gap to Damascus May 15 - 21.

See you all out there! Peep

Big Dawg
02-10-2004, 18:58
Planning a smokies hike starting 2/28/04, from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap. Will put me over 230 miles to date. Bring it on!!!

2XL
03-07-2004, 21:42
I will be doing NOBO CT in late June, SOBO NY in late July, and hopefully NOBO Mass at the end of August . Maybe some Long trail in Sept.

Happy Hiking
2XL

B Thrash
03-07-2004, 22:05
Kevin: Take off the ME from N Adams and the ME from Andover then my entry will be o.k.

Thanks
B Thrash

atpaul
03-07-2004, 22:35
Leaving Amicalola May 4th. Going to around Woody Gap and back on May 8th

peter_pan
03-07-2004, 23:06
Great idea!!!

Peter pan will be doing two sections. First the day after Trail Days I'll start at Pearisburg VA and the New River and hike to the Tye River, VA, finishing on 31 May. Second section will be in Aug from the North boundary of SNP to PA.

Ankle Bone
03-08-2004, 09:44
Wallace Gap to Fontana - October 10-15.

Red Hat
03-08-2004, 17:27
I will be starting at Springer and heading north March 14th-20th. I hope to finish the Georgia Section... Then in June, I'll be heading to Pennsylvania and trying to hike that whole section to Delaware Water Gap where my husband will meet me and we head to Liberty RV park for the 4th of July.

2XL
08-27-2004, 08:58
---------------------------

orangebug
08-27-2004, 10:27
I hope to do Allen Gap to Sams Gap for Labor Day weekend. Then I hope to follow up in November with Damacus down to Sam's Gap, enjoying Thanksgiving with Ms Janet.

Bill....

Kerosene
08-27-2004, 15:18
Ma and I will spend most of October and November finishing Virginia. We'll start where we left off last year , Craig Creek Valley , Va. 621.Interesting that I also left the Trail at Craig Creek Valley after 8 days of extending my consecutive mileage southbound from Buena Vista last October (2003). I spent a hour on a nice sunny day in the parking lot finishing my book while waiting for my ride.

Kerosene
08-27-2004, 15:24
I expect to do 2 sections this year.

1) Monson to Katahdin starting around Sept. 1st, ending around Sept. 8th.
2) Duncannon, PA to the Delaware Water Gap, starting mid october, probably around 10 days.

When these two sections are done, I will have done the whole north part of the trail from Harpers ferry to Katahdin.It will feel great to "fill in the gaps". I finished the last gap in my mileage between Craig Creek Valley (south of Roanoke) to Glencliff, NH in June when I did an easy overnight between High Point and Warwick Turnpike along the NJ/NY border. That gives me almost 1,100 consecutive miles plus another 85 in GA/NC, or 54% of the total. Only 9 more years to go if my body, job and family allow me to keep to schedule.

Tin Man
08-27-2004, 23:56
My brother and I (Bartender & Tin Man) will be doing our annual section hike at the end of September. We will pick up where we left off last year and plan to do 50 miles NOBO in VT from Arlington-West Wardsboro Rd. to VT103. At this rate, I will be 90 when I finish section hiking the trail! :jump

If anyone is in the neighborhood and wants to give us a ride on the morning of Sept. 29th or 30th from VT103 to Arlington-West Wardsboro, please drop me a line.

We have been counting down the days to our hike for the past 5 months! (Not that we are excited or anything.)

Jaybird
08-28-2004, 19:34
"Jaybird & TeePee" will be section hiking in October instead of September due to some scheduling conflicts....we'll be tackling Hampton,TN to Damascus,VA in 4 days. (Oct 4-8)

Maybe we'll see a few of ya'll out there! :D

Singletrack
08-28-2004, 20:19
I section hiked from Mt. Katahdn to the gravel road road, .1 of a mile South of Bemis Stream in June and part of July of this year. 931 miles to go. Also hiked from Rock Gap, N.C. to Fontana Dam in May of this year. Plan on returning to Maine in June of next year, and going as far as I want to, or can. Hope to see some of you in late October or early November. I'll be hiking Hampton, Tn. to Hot Springs.

camich
08-29-2004, 10:19
My husband, myself and 2 sons hiked...

Apr 4-8 Hogpen Gap to Dick's Creek Gap
May 23 Wahah Bald to Tellico Gap
May 25-26 Deep Gap to Dick's Creek Gap

My husband and I are planning to hike from Clingman's Dome south to Stecoah Gap Sep 14-17........Can't wait!!!!

captleo
08-30-2004, 08:46
Kevin

April 24, 2004 to May 12, 2004 - Front Royal, VA. to Duncannon, PA.
Late Oct. 2004 to Early Nov. 2004 - Duncannon, PA. to Delaware Water Gap, PA.

I like the Idea of posting section hikes. If anyone knows of any shuttles available between Duncannon and Delaware Water Gap, please email me @ [email protected] Also, if there are any points of interest that you thought were especially worthy between Duncannon and DWG I'd appreciate the tip! ie. B&B's, restraunts, side trails, etc. Thanks, captleo.

PS. Maybe I'll see Papa Bear out there!