PDA

View Full Version : Section hike questions. Help

The Big J
04-17-2008, 11:24
Section Hiking Pine Grove Furnace Pa. to Harpers Ferry 4/19-4/26. Looks like I plan on resupplying in Smithsburg Md. How is the walk from the trail to town? What does Smithsburg have in terms of resupply? Any information on the Free state hostel, thinking of staying for a night if all is going as planned. How has the water been in this section. The one question I am having trouble with is my 25 degree bag or my 40 degree bag. I am a warm sleeper. Sorry for all the questions this is my longest section hike and solo.

Blissful
04-17-2008, 19:14
Section Hiking Pine Grove Furnace Pa. to Harpers Ferry 4/19-4/26. Looks like I plan on resupplying in Smithsburg Md. How is the walk from the trail to town? What does Smithsburg have in terms of resupply? Any information on the Free state hostel, thinking of staying for a night if all is going as planned. How has the water been in this section. The one question I am having trouble with is my 25 degree bag or my 40 degree bag. I am a warm sleeper. Sorry for all the questions this is my longest section hike and solo.

Free State Hostel (http://www.freestatehiker.com/free_state_2_003.htm)
Last year I heard they had bikes for you to bike in and get resupplied.

Wow, I think 40 degree is pushing it for this area. I'd go with 25, even if you are using it as a quilt.

This time of year water usually isn't a problem at the shelters. Hopefully you have a databook, etc. You may need to see if water is running at the state parks and Dahlgrens. May be too early for these facilities to be open.

Stop for pizza at Taormina's Pizza on Rt 30.