PDA

View Full Version : On Pause

zdavies
04-17-2008, 14:52
Hey everyone -
started on the evening of April 12th from Springer - made it to Tesnatee Gap, 5.5 miles north of Neels Gap when my knees decided to rebel.

Succumbing to the need for trekking poles - would've had them already but I was [hah! am] hard-headed. Also, getting some knee supporting braces.

Anyone's recomendations on braces/poles/etc would be greatly appreciated as I want to get back on the trail and head to Maine as soon as the joints will allow me.

Thanks for any advice, hope the rest of you AT '08 people are cruising along and enjoying the scenery.

-zack [trail kicked my ass and hasn't even given me a name yet]

P.S. Did run into Big Turtle, Curmudgeon, Loco and a slew of others yet to get their own trail names out there - just getting to talk to kind folk hiking along gave me fuel for many miles. Can't wait to get back out there and meet more of you.

Blissful
04-17-2008, 21:57
Trekking poles.

Cut your pack weight.

Trail runners - see if you pronate or not and get the right kind.

Take glucosomine twice a day.

Find some muscle stretches online. Most knee problems are due to hamstring and quad tightening, etc. Do stretches on those muscle groups. And calf stretches.

Might see a sports MD.

Try not to use bracing if you can help it - or only use while you have pain. You then tend to rely on them.

When you start again, cut your mileage and build slowly. Never start the day fast, but warm up. And take it easy on descents.

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2008, 23:07
I would second pretty much everything Blissful said except for the glucosamine, I just don't have an opinion on that either way.

Make sure you have the right shoes and get inserts (Superfeet, etc.) if you need them.

Also, stay well-hydrated. Make sure you are getting proper nutrition, enough protein, and take a vitamin, so your body can heal the damage.

Definitely slow down and do less miles, too. Take a zero once a week or more if your body needs it.

take-a-knee
04-18-2008, 00:02
If the pain is on the lateral (away from your midline) side your knee, it is likely due to a tight illiotibial band, and you absolutely must learn how to stretch it or it will only get worse.

clured
04-18-2008, 00:40
What do you mean by "rebel"? How bad is it? I'm pretty sure a lot of people are forced off the trail by "injuries" that aren't really injuries. Three days into my hike last summer I had so much knee pain that I was choking down tears on descents. A week later they were rock solid.

zdavies
04-18-2008, 09:58
Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone -

I'm using trail-runners, have superfeet insoles in them.
Ordered some LEKI Super Makalu poles yesterday.
Using the braces around the house so I can at least get around here.
Went to see a sports doctor yesterday; problem centered around the patella and could be corrected with a combination of most of what Blissful recommended and some armycandy [ibuprofen].
Taking supplements here at my parents place, turmeric, MSM, Glucosamine, and licorice.

Back on the trail, was getting good nutrition, had made my own meals and was mailing them out, getting 4-5000 cal. a day, with protein powder mixed in to one meal and a drink for the evenings as well.

Going through my pack again to see if I can cut it down any further.

Base pack weight was 19lbs, but then I did a dumb and thought I could carry eight days of food - that plus water took me up to about fifty pounds, geeeez. Then I jumped out there and youthful exuberance took me 13miles the first two days and another eight before 10pm on the day I cracked up. Maybe didn't make every newbie thru-hiker mistake, but quite a few anyway. Sooo, all this combined I hope to be back out at Tesnatee gap headed north in a week [fingers crossed]!

Clured: yeah, it was brutal - if anyone'd heard me coming down that last mountain they'd have run the opposite direction, I sounded like a madman, tears, curses, and short screaming songs.

StarLyte
04-18-2008, 10:05
Hey zdavies.....sending positive thoughts and blessings your way.

You are obviously not giving up-GREAT! :sun

zdavies
04-30-2008, 01:30
I regret to inform all you fine thru-hikers [and my still unconvinced self] that this will no longer be the year of a thru-hike for me.

Two weeks off the trail today. I've added bone-strengthening supplements to my diet, stretches and strengthening exercises of the surrounding ligaments and muscles, and every other day hikes [short 7-3 miles] since this friday. Existing Montrail running shoes and superfeet insoles have joined with a new set of Leki trekking poles.

Still my knees are excruciatingly painful when hiking downhill, even without a pack.

Now that this has fallen through, other good plans have come my way and I'll probably end up near Yellowstone with my girlfriend, which I'm thrilled about.

I planned and hiked for a year specifically for this thru-hike - having this dream fall apart like this has been incredibly disappointing. Then again, the trail has taught me lessons even when I was not able to finish hiking it, lessons in dealing with that very disappointment.

This doesn't mean I'll not be hiking ever again. I'm hoping this is merely an injury, one that just needs more time to heal. All the preparation for thru-hiking has taught me an inestimable amount and I plan on continuing my favorite pastime - walking through this gorgeous land, this planet earth.

Best wishes and good luck to the rest of you on your thru-hikes and grin a little bigger for me when you get to Katahdin. I'll be sending all of you envious blessings.

StarLyte
04-30-2008, 06:21
Sorry to hear this. Be glad your body gave you the warning though. See your doctor asap.

There are many trails, many days and you have friends here.

Enjoy your time with your girlfriend too !!!

Time To Fly 97
04-30-2008, 09:13
I believe you are always in your right place at the right time...although it may not always seem like it. There are other things that are more important for your life that you are destined to do now. Enjoy. Don't worry about the AT. It will always be there...waiting for you...always there....

Happy hiking!

TTF

Blue Jay
04-30-2008, 10:32
Base pack weight was 19lbs, but then I did a dumb and thought I could carry eight days of food - that plus water took me up to about fifty pounds, geeeez. Then I jumped out there and youthful exuberance took me 13miles the first two days and another eight before 10pm on the day I cracked up. Maybe didn't make every newbie thru-hiker mistake, but quite a few anyway.

Now the most important thing to do is once you are healed from this injury, like with a broken leg, is get rid of the crutches (because that is exactly what they are) after you heal. Otherwise like many many other poor souls, if you keep using them you WILL become permanently crippled.