PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Save Rocky Fork Watershed

BR360
04-17-2008, 17:10
Your action is needed to help save a beautiful tract of land adjacent to the AT.

A 10,000 acre privately held tract on the NC/Tennessee border called the Rocky Fork Watershed needs funding from the Feds. 2,000 acres adjoin the Appalachian Trail.

Currently managed by the Tennessee Division of Wildlife and Natural Resources (for the past 50 years), an agreement has been reached that would buy the property which has over 30,000 acres of beautiful National Forest surrounding it.

Friends of the Rocky Fork Watershed want to make this and surrounding areas a proposed National Recreation Area.

Writing e-mails will help persuade government officials to fund and legislate this high-country gem.
Go to this link to get pictures and more info, including e-mail addresses to make your feelings known.

http://www.saverockyfork.org/

Let's have a roll-call once you have written an e-mail!

Two Speed
04-17-2008, 21:43
BR360, looks like all the elected officials are from Tennessee. Correct?

Tennessee Viking
04-17-2008, 23:10
BR360, looks like all the elected officials are from Tennessee. Correct?
Most of the land is located within Tennessee. Most of the property sits in between Flint and Cold Spring Mountains.

I was just up on Flint/Cold Spring a couple weeks ago. You can tell that there has been some heavy work through there.

I think there have bene rumored plans of logging it heavily and developing a gated community (another Wold Laurel).

From what I hear, it has some pretty good trout fishing in there.

BR360
04-18-2008, 10:11
Yes, this is in Tennessee. So the prime Gov officials to e-mail to are TN ones, listed on the link. Click thumnail to see pic which I copied from the SaveRockyFork.org website.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

However, designating the Rocky Fork into a National Recreation Area would require Senate and Congressional approval, so writing your own Senators and Reps should help, also, esp. if you live in the Southeast.

10-K
04-28-2008, 21:23
I own 13 acres of some of the prettiest mountain property you've ever seen just a few miles from Devil's Fork Gap which is just a few miles from the Rocky Fork Watershed and I've been following this very closely.

It looks like Rocky Fork has been saved but the closing on the land to the buying conservation group (which is going to sell the land to the US Forest Service) has been rescheduled to 12/2008 - it was supposed to be 2/15/2008.

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2008, 22:57
Where is your piece of property located at?

10-K
04-29-2008, 05:00
Where is your piece of property located at?

On Hwy 212, about 2.5 miles or so from the NC/TN line. If you know where Mill Creek Rd. is it's .5 miles past that.