PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike SOBO CT-NJ - need opinions

The Raven
04-17-2008, 21:28
First let me say I have lurked on these forums extensively in planning my trip and it is a wonderful resource. I have been able to get answers to many questions just from searching old posts.

The majority of my outdoor experiences have been in the west, specifically North Cascades and Mt. Rainier, the AT will be a new experience for me.

I plan on hiking from Kent, CT to High Point State Park in NJ April 26-May 3. While I plan to average about 6.5-7 hours of actual hiking per day (15 miles), there is an area that presents a challenge as far as planning stops- the area between Fingerboard Shelter & Pochuck Mountain Shelter.

From what I have read, part of the terrain between Fingerboard & Wildcat is supposed to be difficult, so I have scheduled Wildcat as a stop on the eve of Thurs, May 1. However, this leaves quite a few miles to cover by Saturday noon - about 36.

My question is -can I tent for the night somewhere between Wildcat and Pochuck? It is hard to tell from the guide if that is a possibility, or if there is a good spot that would accommodate tents.

If I have left anything out that would assist in answering this, please feel free to ask. Thank you!

Blissful
04-17-2008, 22:09
Another option - You could get a ride to Vernon and stay at the church hostel (might call ahead to see if they are open at that time of year, though). No hitching allowed in NJ by you can inquire at the farmer's market right near the trail for a ride. That is a 17.3 mile day from Wildcat.

hammock engineer
04-18-2008, 00:45
The farmers market had some great food. I wouldn't go through NJ without staying at the mayor's house in Unionville (you'll learn how to when you get there).

I can't mentally place where you are talking about, but I wouldn't worry about it. CT wasn't too bad. More stupid hard instead of real hard. Enjoy.

Askus3
04-18-2008, 00:46
Why are you not stopping at Waywayanda Shelter? This is 12.3 miles south from Wildcat Shelter. Then from Waywayanda Shelter to Pochuck Shelter is 13.3 miles. Water at Waywayanda Shelter is easy to obtain at the park office 1/2 mile on a spur trail from the shelter.

As far as the terrain in Harriman Park, if you think that is hard, the White Mtns & Maine would be like Everest! There are a couple of scrambles but nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.

To be done on Saturday by noon, you might take Blissful's advice and push for NJ 94 & the Vernon Hostel.

The Raven
04-18-2008, 08:18
Thank you all for your replies - I originally planned on going to Wayawanda, but it is hard to tell from the descriptions how "difficult" that section really is...I prefer to underpromise and overdeliver, if you catch my drift.

I have never hiked this area of the country, I have to keep in mind that what is considered difficult to some....well, this is why I am here asking. :)

Having a few options makes me feel much better about the end of the trip. Thanks again.

The Snowman
04-22-2008, 18:34
the section knowen as stairway to heaven is a rough climb but much of this section is rather flat and includes a long board walk. its a tight corridor so no chace of camping.

Askus3
04-22-2008, 19:42
Am I right that "The Stairway to Heaven" is that stretch of trail going from 94 to Pinwheel Vista? Thus wouldn't they be descending that stretch if going southbound?

Feral Bill
04-22-2008, 19:51
If you have hiked The Wonderland Trail you are unlikely to be stressed by anything in the section you are looking at. Have a great trip.