PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days volunteers - second call

Local
04-17-2008, 22:23
Since our first request for volunteers didn't go anywhere, we're trying again. Our plan now is to wait until about Tuesday before Trail Days and try to recruit about 10 or 12 volunteers from hikers already in town. We need help clearing campsites, piling up wood for the bonfire, setting up parking, and other stuff at the campground. We will need two or three volunteers on Thursday and Friday to help the vendors get set up in town park. We will need two or three volunteers to help set up presentations Friday and Saturday.

I've spoken with a gentleman who has just returned to Damascus and he has volunteered to be our chief recruiter. His trail name is Pirate and if you are in town and see him and want to help out, let him know.

Volunteers get a free $5 wrist band and get into the campground early in the week.

bfitz
04-17-2008, 22:34
I've spoken with a gentleman who has just returned to Damascus and he has volunteered to be our chief recruiter. His trail name is Pirate and if you are in town and see him and want to help out, let him know.

A gentleman!?!? :eek:

Lone Wolf
04-17-2008, 22:52
Since our first request for volunteers didn't go anywhere, we're trying again. Our plan now is to wait until about Tuesday before Trail Days and try to recruit about 10 or 12 volunteers from hikers already in town. We need help clearing campsites, piling up wood for the bonfire, setting up parking, and other stuff at the campground. We will need two or three volunteers on Thursday and Friday to help the vendors get set up in town park. We will need two or three volunteers to help set up presentations Friday and Saturday.

Volunteers get a free $5 wrist band and get into the campground early in the week.

that's funny, he's told me he's boycotting trail days and staying out at hobo camp this year :-?

Local
04-17-2008, 23:03
Yeah, but this doesn't involve participating in Trail Days, just letting some hikers know we need volunteers. Plus I offered to buy Pirate coffee at Mojoe's.

Wonder
04-18-2008, 00:08
I'm working through weds. night, but I don't leave until about 3pm. Let me know what I can do during the day.....you have my info

Local
04-18-2008, 07:48
Thanks, Wonder. Do you happen to have a chain saw?

alauver
04-18-2008, 09:18
If i was closer i would come help. I plan on coming to trail days and if i decide to come early i will let you know, and i have a chainsaw.

Local
04-20-2008, 11:07
If i was closer i would come help. I plan on coming to trail days and if i decide to come early i will let you know, and i have a chainsaw.

alauver, a chain saw would be good. Last year Miss Janet's crew and other volunteers cut and piled up a huge pile of wood for the campfires. This year we're not sure what's going to happen, but it might just be people dragging logs out of the woods (along with all of the attached poison ivy) and building fires that way. A chain saw could come in handy. But as a disclaimer for the town we only provide this information. It's not a request. But thanks if you do this.

Wonder
04-20-2008, 11:57
NO chain saw....but I"m really good at finding poison ivy

Lone Wolf
04-20-2008, 11:58
i'm sure the town of damascus has a chainsaw. it's a town run event. one of the town workers can saw any logs that need sawing.

Local
04-20-2008, 15:29
i'm sure the town of damascus has a chainsaw. it's a town run event. one of the town workers can saw any logs that need sawing.

Hey, Wolf, the town is down to two maintenance workers, both with health problems. Last year it was volunteers only who did the wood cutting and gathering, primarily Miss Janet's crew and Fridge from Konnarock. If it gets done this year, it's going to be volunteers. I can get a chain saw from the town, but I'm too lazy to run it.

Lone Wolf
04-20-2008, 15:35
i'll run it

mtnkngxt
04-20-2008, 18:13
I'll be driving up for trail days and wouldnt mind coming a few days early to volunteer. Our family has a chain saw I can see if the old man will let me borrow it.

mudhead
04-20-2008, 18:15
I hope you have all the OSHA gear.

I saw a National Park guy suited up the other day. He (?) could barely waddle.

Good of you to offer.

mtnkngxt
04-20-2008, 18:19
I have glasses, gloves, ear protection, hard hat, and a carhart jacket. If that doesn't cut it OSHA can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

Local
04-21-2008, 06:26
I have glasses, gloves, ear protection, hard hat, and a carhart jacket. If that doesn't cut it OSHA can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

mtnkngxt, if you were born near Wise, Virginia, you were born knowing how to run a chain saw. The campground will be open Wednesday a.m., or Tuesday p.m. if you just show up and camp out, and we'll be working in the area Wednesday through Friday. We will welcome your help.

Local
04-21-2008, 06:28
i'll run it

Good man. Pay is at the normal rate, which is nothing, but I'll buy you a coffee at Mojoe's.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2008, 07:16
I am probably going to walk in early in the week and want to do whatever I can do to help. Ill update you as I get closer. Look forward to seeing you all.

Local
04-21-2008, 12:04
I am probably going to walk in early in the week and want to do whatever I can do to help. Ill update you as I get closer. Look forward to seeing you all.

Colonel Chaco, you will be welcome. You can check with the Chief Recruiter, a gentleman by the name of Pirate, who can be found in several locations in Damascus. We'll only have about ten or twelve free wristbands and free parking passes, so we'll put your name on the list now, along with Fridge, Wonder and mtnkngxt. We'll need help at the campground Wednesday and Thursday, and also help with getting the vendors set up Thursday and Friday.

mtnkngxt
04-21-2008, 12:35
I'll definetly be there. I'll go ahead and come up on Sunday and visit with some old friends in Wise for a few days and then check in on Tuesday to see when I should come down. I'm going to go ahead and just buy a new Stihl saw, I need one for trail maintenance anyways. Can't wait to see everyone!

Just Jack
04-21-2008, 12:42
I was coming up on Thurs for TD but would be happy to come up a day or two early and help. Could you be a little be more specific about where and when? Sorry-- don't mean to sound anal but I think more volunters would show up with a little bit more info. See you there.

Local
04-21-2008, 13:27
I was coming up on Thurs for TD but would be happy to come up a day or two early and help. Could you be a little be more specific about where and when? Sorry-- don't mean to sound anal but I think more volunters would show up with a little bit more info. See you there.

Just Jack, thanks. I had more details in my first posting in a different thread, but that was probably put on the forum too soon. Here are the details:

We need from ten to twelve volunteers, total. We will open the campground to these volunteers, and these volunteers only, on the evening of Tuesday May 13. On Wednesday and Thursday we will do some heavy lifting around the campground area, cutting and moving logs, clearing campsites, moving the bulletin board, other stuff as needed.

Thursday p.m. and Friday a.m. we will need at least three volunteers in the town park to help the vendors get set up.

At the same time we will need two or three volunteers at different sites around town to help get the presentations set up.

We would like to have a list of volunteers prior to their arrival. At this point, if you want to be added, we will have three full-time volunteers, and one part-time. We prefer full time. Pirate and I will keep this list, and he and I will be in charge of the free wrist bands and parking passes for volunteers.

If you have other questions post them here or e-mail me directly at grsmith07 AT gmail.com. And thanks for volunteering.

mtnkngxt
04-21-2008, 16:11
I'd be happy to volunteer full time for the weekend. Always enjoyed trail days and all that it offered.

Just Jack
04-21-2008, 17:40
Sign me up. I will be there Tues afternoon. What I am good at mostly is just getting in the way. I can help you as much as you need.

Belew
04-21-2008, 19:10
Local, Can I get a free wristband for helping Wonder set up her vendor area?:-?

Wonder
04-21-2008, 23:25
Prolly not......but I'll give you a big kiss and buy you a wrist band for it;)

Local
04-22-2008, 08:25
Prolly not......but I'll give you a big kiss and buy you a wrist band for it;)

Wonder, the proprietor of "Tree of Life Crafts" is most generous. Show up Wednesday a.m. at the campground and work your butt off for three days and you'll get a wristband from us, but Wonder's offer sounds much better.

The full-time volunteer list is at four so far, mtnkngxt, Just Jack, Fridge, and someone whose e-mail I need to find. Free wristband, free camping, free parking. This list does not include the Chief Recruiter and the Chief Chainsaw Operator.

Belew
04-22-2008, 16:26
I'll go with Wonders offer if I get to town soon enough and maybe I can help the chief chainsaw operator for a while.

Local
04-25-2008, 08:06
mtnkngxt, Just Jack, Fridge, and JD Cool, you're on the volunteer list. Anyone else wanting to volunteer check with Pirate, who can be found at Dot's, Mojoe's, MRO, or other places in Damascus. He will be in charge of determining who can volunteer. He'll be recruiting volunteers from hikers who arrive in town early and want to help, and he will have the wristbands and free parking passes. Sign up with Pirate and come help set up Trail Days.

mtnkngxt
05-13-2008, 08:26
Local my cousin was killed yesterday and so I have to go out West for a few days. I won't be able to make it to Trail Days, and I apologize and will try to make it next year. Have a great time everyone.

Local
05-13-2008, 08:44
Local my cousin was killed yesterday and so I have to go out West for a few days. I won't be able to make it to Trail Days, and I apologize and will try to make it next year. Have a great time everyone.

This is tragic news. I'm very sorry to hear this. Thank you for your kindness in offering to volunteer, and may God be with you and your family during this time.

t-bor
05-13-2008, 08:50
i can leave harrisonburg right now if you want but im on crutches so i dont know if id be much help we could put a roll of tape on my crutches and i could mark off a few areas like that maybe

Local
05-13-2008, 11:24
Volunteers already on the list can pick up their wristbands at town hall. Ask for Tonya. Wednesday and Thursday Nita in the town park will need help setting up the vendor areas. Wade Farmer is in charge of the campground and his phone number is 276-475-5112 if you have any questions about that.