PDA

View Full Version : Where'd my Topic Go?

MrHappy
04-17-2008, 23:08
I had posted a topip, "The Search for Wisdom" which had sparked some debate and got moved out of this forum into another, I assume, more appropriate place, but now I can't access. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mr. Happy

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2008, 23:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35778

fiddlehead
04-17-2008, 23:14
Don't know but it's a shame your post got changed over to a my god vs. your god (or lack of) kind of thread.
I liked your original topic. Perhaps if you rephrased it somehow and left out telling people that you are an atheist, you would then get people thinking more about philosophy and less about religion.
Like i said in your original thread, i agree with you that the wilderness is the best place to gain wisdom (although there are better choices of wilderness than the AT)

Too many bible belters on here to realistically discuss spiritual wisdom without them doing their best to convert you.
Good luck. Be wise!

Alligator
04-17-2008, 23:28
You are not subscribed to that forum MrHappy, so you can't see it. Follow the group memberships link on the left side of the WB home page.

4eyedbuzzard
04-17-2008, 23:43
I tried to subscribe to that forum several hours ago to continue following the thread but no one has turned it on yet.

Wags
04-17-2008, 23:55
happened to me too on some thread about a guy who died on the trail. moved and now i can't view it :(

take-a-knee
04-18-2008, 00:04
That just proves that cajones are optional for WB moderators.

MrHappy
04-18-2008, 00:11
Do you think I could be let into the group so I can see it? I'd appreciate a work of my writing not just being taken from me for scrutiny in a private forum.

ed bell
04-18-2008, 00:22
That just proves that cajones are optional for WB moderators.And your post proves that ignorance of the site rules and ignorance of Spanish go hand in hand.

take-a-knee
04-18-2008, 00:42
And your post proves that ignorance of the site rules and ignorance of Spanish go hand in hand.

You sound a bit uptight ed, maybe you should get more rest.

fiddlehead
04-18-2008, 04:13
I don't think you can blame the OP. He just wanted to discuss wisdom gained on the trail and the thread got changed into some kind of crusade for Christianity.

Mr Happy. I don't see that you broke any rules. It's thread drift that got the thread banned.

mrc237
04-18-2008, 06:21
Technically he didn't, but you, I and everyone else that reads these pages knew where it was going, and now its where it belongs.

dixicritter
04-18-2008, 06:41
I tried to subscribe to that forum several hours ago to continue following the thread but no one has turned it on yet.

There are only three people on this board that approve those requests... Attroll, Skidsteer and myself, all admin. Your request has been approved now.

That just proves that cajones are optional for WB moderators.

WB moderators had nothing to do with this.

Do you think I could be let into the group so I can see it? I'd appreciate a work of my writing not just being taken from me for scrutiny in a private forum.

You are able to join that area, it is open to all members. The other two subscription areas are only for donating members so a donation is required for entry no exceptions.

Mr Happy. I don't see that you broke any rules. It's thread drift that got the thread banned.

Exactly with one exception, the thread wasn't "banned" it was simply moved.

Hooch
04-18-2008, 07:06
The other two subscription areas are only for donating members so a donation is required for entry no exceptions. Kinda like a WB cover charge. :D

mrc237
04-18-2008, 07:32
Moderators here say when a topic has nothing to do with the AT it gets moved. There are 2 going on now Chuck Norris Thread and what is a warragheyagey thread. They have what relevence to the AT?

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 07:33
You are able to join that area, it is open to all members. The other two subscription areas are only for donating members so a donation is required for entry no exceptions.

I looked for his thread and could not find it. If it's open to all members I wonder where it is? I punched Appalachian Tater's link but got nothing.

Furlough
04-18-2008, 07:46
Moderators here say when a topic has nothing to do with the AT it gets moved. There are 2 going on now Chuck Norris Thread and what is a warragheyagey thread. They have what relevence to the AT?
The 2 you reference are in the hiking humor forum - the appropriate forum.

Gray Blazer
04-18-2008, 07:47
I was clinging to that thread.

max patch
04-18-2008, 07:51
I looked for his thread and could not find it. If it's open to all members I wonder where it is? I punched Appalachian Tater's link but got nothing.

same here

zoidfu
04-18-2008, 07:57
That thread just goes to show how great religion is at bringing people together... And with that, I've sent this thread to the memory hole

warraghiyagey
04-18-2008, 08:38
There are 2 going on now Chuck Norris Thread and what is a warragheyagey thread. They have what relevence to the AT?

So there. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt002.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt002.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt003.gif

Hooch
04-18-2008, 08:42

So there. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt002.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt002.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt003.gifYeah! :D

warraghiyagey
04-18-2008, 08:53
Yeah! :D

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif:D

Frau
04-18-2008, 08:53
I still don't get it. All the back and forth (along with problems at work) has stalled my cognition. Where is the thread now?

Frau

mrc237
04-18-2008, 09:02

HIKING humor?

Hooch
04-18-2008, 09:15
HIKING humor?
Yup. The No Such Thing as a Warraghiyagey thread is one that discusses a......you guessed it...... hiker. And the Chuck Norris Thread is appropriate because hikers love Chuck Norris. It's a fact. :D Besides, it's all good natured humor. Why split hairs? :p

mrc237
04-18-2008, 09:21
Point is the Moderators get very selective. Personally I CGASL what is posted here but whats good for one poster should go for all. BTW I like both those threads. But I don't "love" CN.

ed bell
04-18-2008, 09:24
You sound a bit uptight ed, maybe you should get more rest.Got that rest, now I'm loose as a goose.:p

taildragger
04-18-2008, 09:24
Technically he didn't, but you, I and everyone else that reads these pages knew where it was going, and now its where it belongs.

Its just the best thread in the world, and it does involve hiking (and undrikium) most of the time.

Frosty
04-18-2008, 09:35
Point is the Moderators get very selective. Personally I CGASL Odd then that a significant number of posts in this thread are you complaining.

The Mods have set up a system that pretty much satisfies everyone's needs about what they want to post and don't want to post.

They have set up a system where people who want certain topics can read them and people that don't want certain topics don't have their screen cluttered.

So the complaint isn't that you can't discuss it, but that you are complaining about exactly where in the site the thread is located? How petty is that?

Obviously, I'm still humor-challenged and I apologize if this is harsh, but if you want to read the thread, simply go to that thread and read it.

No need to bash the Mods.

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 09:36
So, where's the thread??

mrc237
04-18-2008, 09:40
Odd then that a significant number of posts in this thread are you complaining.

The Mods have set up a system that pretty much satisfies everyone's needs about what they want to post and don't want to post.

They have set up a system where people who want certain topics can read them and people that don't want certain topics don't have their screen cluttered.

So the complaint isn't that you can't discuss it, but that you are complaining about exactly where in the site the thread is located? How petty is that?

Obviously, I'm still humor-challenged and I apologize if this is harsh, but if you want to read the thread, simply go to that thread and read it.

No need to bash the Mods.

You're right and I've wasted way too much space here but IMO I do think the mods are selective FINAL ANSWER

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 09:47

I checked in the Humor section and couldn't find MrHappy's thread.

ed bell
04-18-2008, 09:50
It's in the General-Non AT Forum. I believe you have to subscribe to it.

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 09:57

Is it a donation-only forum??

dixicritter
04-18-2008, 10:19

Is it a donation-only forum??

Correct General-Non AT Forum, which is a subscription forum open to all WB members.

SGT Rock
04-18-2008, 10:22
If it didn't open for you, you will need to subscribe to the general non-AT area. In the past we had complaints from people that didn't want to read about some topics that had nothing to do with hiking or the AT, so we created a forum that would not show up on searches for general members or non-members unless they asked to be included.

jesse
04-18-2008, 10:29
Early on in that thread I mentioned that thread would be moved, and rightfully it was moved. It should probably be buried and stay buried.

SGT Rock
04-18-2008, 10:58
Point is the Moderators get very selective. Personally I CGASL what is posted here but whats good for one poster should go for all. BTW I like both those threads. But I don't "love" CN.
Actually I disagree with that. Experience in running this site and others over the years - plus watching other sites or participating in other sites has led me to a much less dogmatic belief.

If you run a website as large as this you cannot go around policing every single thread and post - it gets impossible. At a certain point you have to decide what needs more attention than other threads based on past performance of certain topics or reaction to certain topics or maybe just which direction a topic is heading based on past experience. If you try to run a bunch of flat-ass-rules you end up driving yourself nuts trying to keep up with everything. The idea is to actually moderate as little as possible to keep people interacting. As I have experienced, any moderation comes across as either censorship, or a perception of agreement or disagreement with a topic. Most of the time this perception is wrong, but people hate being moderated - period.

So, in the end, we moderate as little as we feel we can get by with because we want people to feel that can participate and interact. Occasionally a topic or thread gets to be a victim because some people will always go to dragging it down, but for the most part, as you have pointed out, we let people discuss what they want to discuss. I find it odd that people would want us to suddenly crack down on everything else because their one pet topic or thread got moderated - just so they could feel that everyone and everything got to share in the pain.

Mags
04-18-2008, 10:59
Early on in that thread I mentioned that thread would be moved, and rightfully it was moved. It should probably be buried and stay buried.

Will the thread be revived three days later?

MrHappy
04-18-2008, 12:11
Well i'm subscribed to "NON AT-Topics" but I don't see ANY threads in that forum. It's just empty.

Alligator
04-18-2008, 12:15
Well i'm subscribed to "NON AT-Topics" but I don't see ANY threads in that forum. It's just empty.If you are on the Forums page, the sub-forums might be collapsed. There's an arrow icon that uncollapses the sub-forums on the right side of the page.

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 12:22
If you are on the Forums page, the sub-forums might be collapsed. There's an arrow icon that uncollapses the sub-forums on the right side of the page.

I see the Non AT Forum at the bottom of my Forum page and can punch it but no threads come up. The non-AT threads used to be full of stuff. What happened?

Heater
04-18-2008, 12:27
Yeah, I am not seeing any forums listed in the Non AT discussion group.

take-a-knee
04-18-2008, 12:44
Be very careful or they'll rathole this thread.

Alligator
04-18-2008, 12:48
I'm not having any difficulty seeing the threads.

At the bottom of the Forums page, the last forum listed is Non-AT. Directly to the far right of that is a small circle with two downward arrows (or two up if it is not collapsed). Click the circle and the sub-forum should show, the threads are in there.

taildragger
04-18-2008, 12:49
It's gone to a better place

max patch
04-18-2008, 12:52

At the bottom of the Forums page, the last forum listed is Non-AT. Directly to the far right of that is a small circle with two downward arrows (or two up if it is not collapsed). Click the circle and the sub-forum should show, the threads are in there.

Nope.

There is obviously a site error that only affects a few of us.

Alligator
04-18-2008, 12:52
I see the Non AT Forum at the bottom of my Forum page and can punch it but no threads come up. The non-AT threads used to be full of stuff. What happened?

Yeah, I am not seeing any forums listed in the Non AT discussion group.Did you click on the sub-forum Non-AT General?

Heater
04-18-2008, 12:54

That is exactly where I am talking about and there is no "collapse/expand button like there is on the other groups.

Alligator
04-18-2008, 12:56
That is exactly where I am talking about and there is no "collapse/expand button like there is on the other groups.OK then, just trying to narrow it down. One of the admins will have to look at it.

Tipi Walter
04-18-2008, 12:56

No small circle. Did I see the two arrows?? Nope. Reminds me of an old joke:

A beatnik riding a motor scooter the wrong way on a one-way road. Cop stops him and says, "Didn't you see the arrow!!" Beatnik: "I didn't even see the Indian!"

Remembered from an old issue of BOYS LIFE, circa 1958.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:00
Did you click on the sub-forum Non-AT General?

I don't have Non-AT General.

I have general with the humor sub-forum and I have subbed to the " Non-AT discussion"

I have
"Non-AT Forums (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=357) This area is for non-AT dicussions"
..but there is noting there and no exand/collapse button.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:01
OK then, just trying to narrow it down. One of the admins will have to look at it.

OK. Thanks Alligator. :)

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:04
It has probably been gone for a while but I have just not missed them! ;)

Wouldn't have even known if that thread wasn't moved there and someone else brought it up. :)

max patch
04-18-2008, 13:12
It has probably been gone for a while but I have just not missed them! ;)

Wouldn't have even known if that thread wasn't moved there and someone else brought it up. :)

I was subscribed and then all of a sudden it disappeared a couple of months ago or so. I knew when it happened as I wanted to review a post I had made the prior day. I haven't mentioned it before as its not that big a deal.

Alligator
04-18-2008, 13:17
I PM'ed ATTroll he was in a little while ago but I don't know if he still is or not.

Did either you of you (Austex or Max Patch) ever make the request to rejoin the non-AT forum when admin recently made the subscription forums available only to donating members. That's probably the problem.

I'm still fuzzy on what they did because I ended up seeing the forums I wanted to sort of by doing only half of the instructions.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:27
I PM'ed ATTroll he was in a little while ago but I don't know if he still is or not.

Did either you of you (Austex or Max Patch) ever make the request to rejoin the non-AT forum when admin recently made the subscription forums available only to donating members. That's probably the problem.

I'm still fuzzy on what they did because I ended up seeing the forums I wanted to sort of by doing only half of the instructions.

No, I remeber getting them for a time. I thought you only had to request to rejoin the "paid subscriber" forums. (political and world)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-18-2008, 13:31
Hmmm. Okay, I'm not a paid subscriber but I thought General was open to all members. I have the collapse button but still don't see the Non-AT General Forum.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:33
Hmmm. Okay, I'm not a paid subscriber but I thought General was open to all members. I have the collapse button but still don't see the Non-AT General Forum.

General is open.

We are talking about the subscription "Non AT discussion group".

dixicritter
04-18-2008, 13:35
I'll go look and see if I can figure out what could be the problem until either Rock or Attroll can get back to the site to take a look. We'll get this fixed, sorry for the problem folks, but thanks for the heads up.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-18-2008, 13:39
General is open.

We are talking about the subscription "Non AT discussion group".

Well, shoot. I can't even FIND that. Oh, well.:confused:

jesse
04-18-2008, 13:43

consider yourself blessed.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:44

Go to the home page. Left hand column all the way down.
"group memberships"
Click it.

It should bring up a pge of groups you have to subscribe to to view.

2 of them (I think) are for paid members only. Don't click those as it pisses off the Admins! ;)

dixicritter
04-18-2008, 13:48
Alright... y'all tell me if it is fixed now.

attroll
04-18-2008, 13:49
I looked and don't see and issue. I sent a PM to Austexs hoping he will help me troubleshoot this.

envirodiver
04-18-2008, 13:52

If you subscribe...no matter how tempting it is...even when the serpent tells you it's OK...Do Not, I repeat DO NOT click on the politics forum link.:eek:

dixicritter
04-18-2008, 13:58
Hey y'all... we need to know if y'all can see those threads or not now.

saimyoji
04-18-2008, 14:12
I couldn't see them before, but can now.

Heater
04-18-2008, 14:15
Hey y'all... we need to know if y'all can see those threads or not now.

I set up a password with attroll so he can check it out with my account.

Should we have the sensitive forum? (I don't know)

attroll
04-18-2008, 14:25
Thank you for helping Austexs. I think we have it all working now and the block on the front page listing the forums users are subscribed to also.

Heater
04-18-2008, 14:36
Thank you for helping Austexs. I think we have it all working now and the block on the front page listing the forums users are subscribed to also.

Happy to help.

Thanks taking the time getting it fixed so quickly! :)

max patch
04-18-2008, 16:22
Works now. Thanks.

Skidsteer
04-18-2008, 17:15
I had posted a topip, "The Search for Wisdom" which had sparked some debate and got moved out of this forum into another, I assume, more appropriate place, but now I can't access. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mr. Happy

Mr Happy, I'd like to apologize to you.

I should have PM'ed you as a courtesy when I moved the thread.

Please forgive me. Serves me right for not praying about such a big decision ahead of time. :D

Hooch
04-18-2008, 17:24
Mr Happy, I'd like to apologize to you.

I should have PM'ed you as a courtesy when I moved the thread.

Please forgive me. Serves me right for not praying about such a big decision ahead of time. :DHoly ****! :eek: :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
04-18-2008, 21:55
Holy poop.

dixicritter
04-19-2008, 08:46
Works now. Thanks.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Rockhound
07-06-2009, 15:06
It seems over zealous, over sensitive types take offense to the tiniest of things sometimes. My suggestion is to keep all your threads very dry and boring so you will not have to worry about it getting moved or deleted. I feel people tend to take things way too personally at times and god forbid they have just an iota of power or authority, they let it go to their heads and put an end to anything that might be the least bit controversial.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 16:20
It seems over zealous, over sensitive types take offense to the tiniest of things sometimes. My suggestion is to keep all your threads very dry and boring so you will not have to worry about it getting moved or deleted. I feel people tend to take things way too personally at times and god forbid they have just an iota of power or authority, they let it go to their heads and put an end to anything that might be the least bit controversial.

well since you're online so much you could build your own website and allow all the stuff that isn't allowed here on yours

Cuffs
07-06-2009, 16:34
Why are we digging up old threads and hashing this crap out all over again PP?

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 16:37

cuz someone deleted a thread or post of his this mornin'. he's an angry litte doggie :)

max patch
07-06-2009, 16:52

He started one of those "I'm an attention whore" threads and it was promptly deleted. So now his panties are in a wad.

Rockhound
07-06-2009, 18:30
Actually that thread I started was only in response to another earlier incident. Then after that promptly vanished I posted on this thread. Yep, today a certain person wadded my panties and pissed me off a bit. So I counted to 10 and then decided to respond with a bit of humor by starting a thread that, while following all the criteria set forth in the rules here, still may piss off the self righteous. They need it. I know this thread had nothing at all to do with it so my apologies to anyone who may have taken offense. But it seems to me the person who started this thread went through a similar experience, hence my post.

Downhill Trucker
07-07-2009, 04:57
Thank God (or someone) they dont have any these problems on hammock forums. Those posters just seem to hang around!

Darwin again
07-07-2009, 09:05

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!

{Plus, the mods don't like none 'o that Atheist talk!}

Now go watch the Michal Jackson funeral freak show like the rest of the planet. It's a Merikun Kulture-bearing moment, you know. ;)
Come for the bread, stay for the circuses!
WHOOOO-WHOOOO!