PDA

View Full Version : Trail Services near Great Barrington MA

MrHappy
04-17-2008, 23:12
Just posting to let this years crop of hikers know that I will be available for some shuttling and other trail services around Great Barrington Mass. I can't drive far due to a back injury but I'd be happy to run shuttles from the Rt. 7 & Rt. 41 crossings (or Jug End Road) into downtown. I've also got a large (5 acre) lawn if anybody wants to camp. There's a swimming pool and a barbecue, and odds are we'll be out there cooking hot dogs or something of the sort. Also, I'm available to help in any emergency situations from Salisbury CT to Dalton MA.

My cell is 413-429-6624. I look forward to seeing you all once you get up to my neck of the woods.

P.S. I will be out of town until May 10th so sorry to all you early birds.

gsingjane
04-18-2008, 06:31
That is terrific! You are lucky to live in Great Barrington, it looks like a beautiful town. We just came through there on Wednesday (we did a section from Rt. 23 up to Dalton) and it was a lot of fun, albeit chilly. Thank you for your service to the trail and to hikers!

Jane in CT

MrHappy
04-18-2008, 12:00
It is indeed a beautiful town. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else except maybe Vermont.

I'd recommend that all thruhikers at least stop by for lunch and laundry, if not a not a night (hotels in the area can be steeply priced).

Christopher Robin
04-28-2008, 14:41
Thank you I am heading SOBO & be in MA. by August & might need a place to pich my tent & laundry. Thank you, MrHappy

Moe
04-28-2008, 19:32
Awesome! I will definitely jot your number down. I just checked my itinerary, and I have already planned on stopping there, and possibly overnighting. I was going to stay in a hostel, but if you're available that would rock. Except a call in late August, early September.:)

LIhikers
04-29-2008, 06:54
My wife and I had some great trail magic happen to us in Great Barrington. It seems a good number of the local residents are aware of hikers and their needs. Plus there's a nice market, with mostly fruit and vegetables, right there where the trail crosses the road. I seem to remember it being called The Corn Crib. The gazebo out front was a hangout for hikers while they consumed their fresh produce, cold drinks, and ice cream from the market, the August we went through there. Great Barrington gets 5 gold stars, out of a possible 5, in my book. Just be aware that lodging will be expensive if you have to pay for it.

Blissful
04-29-2008, 15:25
Massachusetts is a great and friendly state to hikers. We had a great couple help us out near North Adams when I hurt my ankle. Love MA (just not the skeeters)

MrHappy
05-25-2008, 01:56
Sorry guys, I'm going to have to take back this offer. I thought I would have a vehicle this summer but it turns out I won't. I'm really sorry if anybody was counting on me. But Great Barrington is a very hiker-friendly place and hitching shouldn't be too hard from route 7 or even 41 or 23.