PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Cr. Pass > Silverton . . .

The Will
04-17-2008, 23:28
. . . or there abouts.

I have two friends who began a northbound thru of the CDT this week. I would like to join them for a section south of Silverton, CO.

I'll be able to hike with them for a solid seven days and roughly 100-120 miles.

Could someone suggest some good access points that are in this mileage range, or better yet, direct me to a source that I could find these things out for myself (an equivalent to the AT Data book or something similar).

thanks

Mags
04-17-2008, 23:46
There is no CDT databook currently.

Keeping in mind all mileage is approx on the trail and that your friends may be taking a lower route (or flipping) due to a heavy snow year (which will skew the mileage), there are two good resources.

A thorough guide is Yogi's CDT handbook www.pcthandbook.com

For a nice overview with approx mileage, check out the Owens' site: http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06%20miles.html

If you are joining your friends, and just along for the ride if you will, I suspect the Owens' guide will be fine.

You can take the dirty dog (Greyhound) or even a flight to Durango and get a hitch up to Wolf Creek Pass. If you can hitch into Pagosa Springs from Durango, Nean (a white blazer) lives there and may be able to help out.

Getting from Silverton requires a hitch (which may be doable if the traffic is high enough), using Greyhound (which has a route between Silverton and Durango, and from Silverton to Denver as well) or taking the tourist train back to Durango. The train is a bit expensive, but not a bad way to get back to "civilization" and is novelty in itself. http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad.com/

Durango is pretty much the hub in that part of New Mexico/Colorado.

I emphasize (repeat myself! :) ) that your friends' plans may change drastically between now and then and that the mileage may be skewed.

halftime
04-18-2008, 00:59
Mags is an expert on the CDT. Check out his website as well.

For what its worth: My 3 year old guide book of the Weminuche Wilderness area, indicates that the CDT trail from Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass is about and 85 mile hike with high elevation gain.

According to the map Wolf Creek Pass trail head is about 23 miles northeast of Pagosa Springs on US hwy 160. Stoney Pass Trail head is south of Silverton off FR 737 (not sure of distance). About 7 miles before you get to Stoney Pass you could connect to Elk Creek Trail and hike about 9 miles to Elk Park and connect with the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It will take you to Durango or Silverton.

I have not hiked the CDT but have hiked connecting trails in the Weminuche Wilderness area. This area has some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see.

Good Luck with planning your hike.

fiddlehead
04-18-2008, 04:08
NOt much access on that section, although it is a beautiful one.
On the East side of the divide (actually north) there is a big reservoir called Rio Grande Reservoir that has a campground that has a trailhead. I think it is Wiminuche pass trail or something like that.

Further on (towards Silverton) on the west side (actually south) is a trail that comes up from a big lake near Durango called Vallecito. This is probably at least one day from the trailhead to get up to the divide. Coming from the trail it would be a few miles after the "window" (a spectacular place)
They are both pretty long trails to get in or out of there. That's why there are not many hikers in there. It's a long remote stretch and logistics for meeting someone around there would be tough unless you park a car at one of the trailhead's i mention. It is possible that they can get all the way to Silverton in a week but i seriously doubt it as there will be much snow
A lot of CDT'ers skip this section and do the Creede cutoff. Are you sure your friends are going to do this section. (snowshoes might be a good idea in there)

I usually use google earth to do any research as my maps are always out on loan.

I've done this stretch twice and it rivals the JMT for beauty but the best part is no people cause it's so remote. Good luck.

budforester
04-18-2008, 09:41
I second fiddlehead’s suggestion. In a previous life, I worked at a dude ranch at the head of Rio Grande Reservoir (I think it is “Farmers Union” on some maps). There was also an outfitter headquartered near the dam. Forest service has Lost Trail Campground, where Ute Creek enters the Rio Grande. That is spectacular country! There was a gear shop in Creede that had information and maps; a local operation there or in Silverton might give you current info. Outfitters in the area intimately know their territories and would be able to provide information, maybe shuttle… that real estate is good fishing and prime hunting area, so people are using it; maybe approach the hunting and fishing guides. I suspect time would be too short for Wolf Creek to Silverton. Weminuche to CDT is about half a day. Ute Creek to CDT is also about half a day. It makes a nice loop if you connect, one to the other on CDT, but probably not long enough on the CDT for you. Maybe trek on to Silverton, but I’ve only gone by “road” (It was 4WD); I don’t know distance via CDT, and it may be difficult to return to your car. Need some map studies. It is horse- packing country so the trails will get tramped down pretty early, but bear in mind that there is snow in the high country and the creeks run high, well into what we think of as summer. Also altitude is 10- 12 thousand feet. Wish I could go; now I’ll be melancholy all day.

The Will
04-19-2008, 15:42
Thanks for the responses.

I believe it will indeed be tricky to get off the trail in the Silverton area . . . LONG side trails from the CDT.

And because of this years snowfall, my friends don't know if they will have to take the Creede cut-off yet or not.

What will the mosquitos and black-flys be like in that area, those elevations, that season?

budforester
04-19-2008, 19:59
Thanks for the responses.

I believe it will indeed be tricky to get off the trail in the Silverton area . . . LONG side trails from the CDT.

And because of this years snowfall, my friends don't know if they will have to take the Creede cut-off yet or not.

What will the mosquitos and black-flys be like in that area, those elevations, that season?

I'm not sure when you want to go; I've been there some late summers and autumns. I remember a few black flies in the valleys, but if there were any up on top, they didn't leave an impression. There were a few mosquitoes, even around snow- drifts at timberline; but they were never a bother when I was there... I camped in the timber or in the high parks. Up on top, there is always breeze and maybe that keeps them away. Those mosquitoes were a joke to me... I grew up with vicious mosquitoes from the marshes and bayous. I don't recall ever being bitten and, at that altitude, they fly slow- motion.

fiddlehead
04-19-2008, 21:06
If they do take the Creede cutoff, hiking out of Creede heading north up towards San Luis pass. It is only a half day up to the pass but a beautiful one.

Your friends will most likely be a little more acclimated to the altitude and hard hiking than you. I think it would be an excellent idea for you to be up there waiting for them (perhaps Cumbres pass?) and get yourself acclimated a bit. If not, you may not enjoy your hike as much.

Nean in Pagosa Springs is your best bet for advice and current conditions when the time gets closer. From what i remember, you don't want to try that section (Cumbres to Silverton) before mid June at the earliest. Too much snow makes for very tough hiking and route finding. And as soon as CO starts, you are hit with both. (sure makes it beautiful though)

budforester
04-19-2008, 22:17
I agree with fiddlehead. I notice CDTA lists access points and directions to get there. I checked Google Map for the area I spoke of: "rio grande pyramid colorado" was my reference point. I also found an outfitter's website (http://www.lost-trail.com/). He's across the road from where I worked. They are listed for sale, but have posted recently. He may be able to offer advice, update trail information, pack you in, shuttle you, store your car... I don't know. Might be worth an email, though. Good luck with your planning; have a great hike!

Blister
04-24-2008, 00:11
We took the Creede cut off in 06 , postholing was getting the better of us. We met some of the coolest people there. I am going back in a better month to do what we opted not to do. The Creede cut off is a great blue blaze - Check out some of the most amazing minig remenants you will ever see. The walk out of Creede is really cool. Notorious claim to fame is the Creede's fire department. The only fire station that i have ever seen built into the base of a mountain. its cool.

Lyle
04-24-2008, 00:37
I've hiked Silverton to just north of Wolf Creek Pass, but that was a couple decades ago. BEAUTIFUL area, you will throughly enjoy it. Spent a night camped with a sheep herder, very interesting man with some amazing tales to tell of his summers spent in the high country.