PDA

View Full Version : Colorado trail.

Heater
04-18-2008, 13:58
I'd like to hike this trail.:sun

envirodiver
04-18-2008, 14:09
I would too, I've been reading some of the threads on it, did a little internet research. It sounds great.

PM Bearpaw, he hiked it a couple of years ago.

jendiver

Heater
04-18-2008, 14:12
I would too, I've been reading some of the threads on it, did a little internet research. It sounds great.

PM Bearpaw, he hiked it a couple of years ago.

jendiver

"jendiver" :D

Mags has a pretty good page and journal)on it too.

RITBlake
04-18-2008, 15:44
I hiked a very small slice of it last Summer. I must say. it's like nothing I ever seen before. The section I was in was breathtaking beyond description, the trail was well cut, and I basically had it to myself.

I will say that the altitude definitely got to me more then I ever thought it would and I was stopping frequently on uphills to catch my breath.

Mags
04-18-2008, 16:42
My Colorado Trail page (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=34) (journal, photos, "End to End" guide)

Altitude effects everyone differently for sure. I always suggest, if you can, to spend a few days at altitude before starting your trek. Even then, you may find the altiude can pack a wallop.

Heater
04-18-2008, 17:03
My Colorado Trail page (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=34) (journal, photos, "End to End" guide)

Altitude effects everyone differently for sure. I always suggest, if you can, to spend a few days at altitude before starting your trek. Even then, you may find the altiude can pack a wallop.

Hey Mags. Those links are real hard to locateb in the middle of all that text when the are small and green. It blends right in.

Heater
04-18-2008, 17:08
Hey Mags. Those links are real hard to locateb in the middle of all that text when the are small and green. It blends right in.

Mag's links.

Journal (http://www.magnanti.com/co_trail_jrnl.htm)
Photos (http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5773)
End2end Guide (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=30)

:sun

envirodiver
04-18-2008, 17:12
What's the total mileage of the trail. I would assume also, with the altitude consideration that it would be wise to plan on hiking fewer miles per day than normal?

Mags
04-18-2008, 17:12

Yeah, I have to make a menu like I did for my CDT page. It was one of the first pages I ported over from old site to my new one (notice the photo links go to a slightly different page). Someday I'll revise it. :)

Mags
04-18-2008, 17:14
What's the total mileage of the trail. I would assume also, with the altitude consideration that it would be wise to plan on hiking fewer miles per day than normal?

Not quite 500 (486 miles). Once you get used to the elevation, the easier tread (vs the AT) makes hiking the CT a pure joy. Start in Denver and take it easy. By the time you get to the San Juans, you'll be a mountain goat. :)

RITBlake
04-18-2008, 22:59
Just chiming back in here to say that Mags was extremely helpful when planning my CT trip. Even though I was only going out for a weeks time, it required some careful planning because road are far less frequent.

As far as the treadway, yah it's wonderful. Doesn't hurt when you are surrounded by 360 degrees of huge mountains around you.

smyth555
04-18-2008, 23:50
Yes, Mags' info is a big help. I've been using it to try to plan a CT thru this summer. Thanks for putting that together Mags.

What kind of night time temps should I expect on an August CT thru? I'm trying to slowly get my gear in order.

Thanks.

fiddlehead
04-19-2008, 03:20
the CO trail is nice. It's ok, but, a more scenic option in the area would be to hike the CDT portion of Colorado. It would be slightly longer, much more scenic (many times they share the same trail but then when they split, the CO trail goes through trees while the CDT goes up above treeline.
Yes, there'd be more lightning problems up there so, if you're afraid of lightning, perhaps the CO trail is for you.

I've done them both and basically did the CO trail as a training hike.
If you studied the maps and see where they differ, you could make the choice when you get there and sometimes take the CDT and come back again to the CO trail. Up to you of course. Just offering a very scenic and beautiful option.

Chef2000
04-19-2008, 21:58
I did the first 220 miles or so of the trail in 05. Started in Waterton and went to Buenas something?

The trail is awesome, I suggets goin with at least one other person. The lonliness really got to me after about 20 days and was primary reason to stop where i did.

Quick highlights of my hike:

Hiking thru Burnt area near Buffalo creek and getting lost, then dehydrated. Then Altitude sickness kicked in. Thru off in less than a week.

Seeing Numerous elk including ones with incredible racks, hiking thru the seven mile elongated meadow, no water problems there.

Camping at 11000 feet next to spring bubbling from the ground, trail kindness from numerous folks.

Hiking a mile out the way at twin lakes dam, cause I might be terrorist who wants to blow it up. Flash ,you can take a motor boat right up to thing in the water.

FRISCO, totally cool town

Smokin a %$#$ at 12,500 feet.

Footslogger
04-20-2008, 12:18
It's definitely on my list, especially since the heart attack put the PCT in question for 2009. If all goes well with my rehab and the PCT still seems a bit much to bite off for next year I/we might give the CT a shot instead.

'Slogger

Mags
04-21-2008, 11:32
What kind of night time temps should I expect on an August CT thru?

Can be cool at night, esp as you get later into the month. Fall starts to hit the high country by mid-August or so.

I use a 20F bag for 3 season Colorado.

Some people do have good luck with 30-40F bag and layering during the summer and even into Fall. I don't like this approach personally as I have no use for a 30f+ bag for most of my hiking out West.

YMMV.

Mags
04-21-2008, 11:32
It's definitely on my list, especially since the heart attack put the PCT in question for 2009. If all goes well with my rehab and the PCT still seems a bit much to bite off for next year I/we might give the CT a shot instead.

'Slogger

You'll get there..I have no doubt. :sun

Jbreck
04-22-2008, 19:11
I'm hitting this the weekend of July 1st for a thru-hike.

Boom Boom
05-01-2008, 08:53
I'm heading out to the CT this summer hoping to start about July 22 or so. If anybody would like to join me I would enjoy the company

Quoddy
05-01-2008, 09:14
I'm heading out to the CT this summer hoping to start about July 22 or so. If anybody would like to join me I would enjoy the company
Did you get my comprehensive message a few days ago?

Jbreck
05-20-2008, 15:17
Did you get my comprehensive message a few days ago?

Which one was that?