PDA

View Full Version : Ti lid turned blue in pro/butane flame?

saimyoji
04-18-2008, 18:56
Trying to answer why the lid to my Ti SnowPeak MiniSolo cookset turned bluish after cooking on it last night. I used the Coleman propane/butane cannister. Never had it anything else on the cookset turn blue.... Any ideas?

saimyoji
04-18-2008, 19:48
bump.....no ideas from the gear heads?

Appalachian Tater
04-18-2008, 19:54
Titanium has established itself as a jewelry metal because of the beautiful colors that can be predictably achieved. When the metal is heated it shows the same colors associated with the tempering of steel, plus a few others. Unlike the fleeting effects on steel however, titanium colors are completely stable. When created by heat they are difficult to locate, but when the colors are achieved through the use of electricity, both the location and color can be precisely controlled.

The color phenomenon is caused by the development of an oxide layer in which a certain part of the light is absorbed and only the remainder is reflected to be perceived by a viewer. As the temperature increases, the oxide layer becomes thicker and absorbs more light. There is a clear series of these colors, beginning with a bright yellow, which is created by an oxide layer of sufficient thickness to cause constructive interference to give this appearance. As the oxide layer grows thicker, other colors are produced because the interference removes various parts of the white light striking the surface. The colors run through green, violet, bright blue to a dark blue. If heat is continued, a second yellow color will result as the interference causes the same effect as in the first yellow.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/titanium-working-10-8.htm

NICKTHEGREEK
04-18-2008, 19:55
Trying to answer why the lid to my Ti SnowPeak MiniSolo cookset turned bluish after cooking on it last night. I used the Coleman propane/butane cannister. Never had it anything else on the cookset turn blue.... Any ideas?
Same happened on my SP 3 piece lid/fry pan. I didn't think much of it, the chrome pipes on my old motorcycle used to do the same thing. I think it happens when they get too hot.

Philippe
04-18-2008, 20:23
Same happened on my SP 3 piece lid/fry pan. I didn't think much of it, the chrome pipes on my old motorcycle used to do the same thing. I think it happens when they get too hot.

I was going to say the same thing about the header pipes on my 66 Norton "Snort'n Norton" Atlas 750. God love you, though. It's just another one of the wonders in an interactive universe. Eat your supper and enjoy your blue - your cookware has character and so do you.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-19-2008, 10:09
I was going to say the same thing about the header pipes on my 66 Norton "Snort'n Norton" Atlas 750. God love you, though. It's just another one of the wonders in an interactive universe. Eat your supper and enjoy your blue - your cookware has character and so do you.
Man did I ever covet a Norton. I started out with a '36 HD Flathead with a hack and later had a '62 BSA Road Rocket

NICKTHEGREEK
04-19-2008, 10:14
Titanium has established itself as a jewelry metal because of the beautiful colors that can be predictably achieved. When the metal is heated it shows the same colors associated with the tempering of steel, plus a few others. Unlike the fleeting effects on steel however, titanium colors are completely stable. When created by heat they are difficult to locate, but when the colors are achieved through the use of electricity, both the location and color can be precisely controlled.

The color phenomenon is caused by the development of an oxide layer in which a certain part of the light is absorbed and only the remainder is reflected to be perceived by a viewer. As the temperature increases, the oxide layer becomes thicker and absorbs more light. There is a clear series of these colors, beginning with a bright yellow, which is created by an oxide layer of sufficient thickness to cause constructive interference to give this appearance. As the oxide layer grows thicker, other colors are produced because the interference removes various parts of the white light striking the surface. The colors run through green, violet, bright blue to a dark blue. If heat is continued, a second yellow color will result as the interference causes the same effect as in the first yellow.

Woah! That sure beats my "Crap happens" answer. There's going to be some serious Ti burnin' going on to "see all the colors man". Seriously, a good answer can be hard to find and yours is exceptionally good.

vonfrick
04-19-2008, 11:35

Woah! That sure beats my "Crap happens" answer. There's going to be some serious Ti burnin' going on to "see all the colors man". Seriously, a good answer can be hard to find and yours is exceptionally good.

yeah, um, like...woah, tater rocks! :)