PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Question...

Frau
04-19-2008, 16:52
I know I read a thread not long ago about trail runners/boots and someone addressed 'toe jammin' '. I just returned from a 10.5 mile shakedown, carrying abt. 22 pounds in my new Catalyst. THe pack is great, my trail runners, however, gave me grief for the first time ever, when we got to the very steep and rocky south (downhill) side of Rocky Row. We hiked from Robinson Gap Road along the FS road and AT to Little Rocky Row Trail Head on US 501.

How I did not get a huge blister I will never now, but I was down to walking baby steps when gong down hill. I have a beloved pair of Hi-Tek boots that I should have worn. BUT, the light weight trail runners are so comfortable. WE are preparing for a 5-7 day section hike in NC the last week of June and I need to get the shoe problems resolved before that.

Advice please, and/or the link to the other recent thread about shoes? Do all trail runners slide back on steep downhill slopes?

Many thanks,

Frau (of the very Sore Toe):(

taildragger
04-19-2008, 16:56
I've noticed that I have to change the "tightness" of my shoe depending on the hills. While downhills can toe jam, up hills can rub the heel. The only solution that I have found has been to adjust the shoe when terrain calls for it.

I've heard that the superfeet actually give better resistance to slipping and toe jam

Another thing is that your toe box might be too large for you

Lastly, your socks might be slick (odd huh?) you might be able to increase the friction inside the shoe and have it work out for you then

Quoddy
04-19-2008, 18:14
The problem you had is common with trail shoes if not laced correctly. The main thing is to have the heel area firmly planted so that it doesn't lift or let the foot shift forward. I have been using Inov-8's for the past couple of years and the method (http://www.inov-8.com/Lacing.asp?L=26&LID=1) they recommend is the same way they arrive. I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't had a blister using them... even when wet.

mudhead
04-19-2008, 18:28
Another oddball thing: Needing to trim toenails. Has happened to me with the big toe. Maimed a good sock, too.

scope
04-19-2008, 18:29
Sounds to me like the shoes are too small. If they're too large, they'll just be sloppy on the downhill, but shouldn't get blisters from that, just ankle turns.

greentick
04-19-2008, 18:50
The problem you had is common with trail shoes if not laced correctly. The main thing is to have the heel area firmly planted so that it doesn't lift or let the foot shift forward. I have been using Inov-8's for the past couple of years and the method (http://www.inov-8.com/Lacing.asp?L=26&LID=1) they recommend is the same way they arrive. I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't had a blister using them... even when wet.

I like it!

Frau
04-19-2008, 18:54
To all who have replied sio far, my thanks.I do not have the shoes laced as the INOV-8s are supposed to be laced. I notice that it is possible to 'lock' the laces as shown in the link.

I check the toenails often, because I too, have ruined (ruint) socks by not trimming often enough. I am amazed to see that I do not have any blisters. Maybe I paid enough attention to my toe early enough to avoid it. The shoes did NOT bother me until about mile 5, steeply downhill.

All of the advice above helps. I will continue to try the trail runners with the correct lacing, AND make sure I do not have wool socks that have gotten 'slick' on the outside. I do have one heavy pair I normally wear with boots in the winter, that do not budge.

I am hoping to be able to hike the 50 miles in NC in my trail runners since they are so much lighter than my boots.

Frau:cool:

RiceKrispy
04-21-2008, 13:58
Sounds to me like the shoes are too small. If they're too large, they'll just be sloppy on the downhill, but shouldn't get blisters from that, just ankle turns.

This isn't necessarily always the case. When I hiked in Benton/MacKay, I made the mistake of wearing slightly too-big shoes and found that the downhills were incredibly painful after a few miles b/c my feet kept sliding down into the shoe which did cause some blistering. :rolleyes:

kytrailman
04-21-2008, 14:04
The inov-8 are where its at. I agree, lace tightness is probably the key if your shoes fit properly. I am constantly adjusting my laces to the terrain. Inov-8s rock.

Blissful
04-21-2008, 19:40
When I first got my trail runners they slid around and I was worried. But my feet adapted and I also played with the laces. I also used different insoles in them (Spenco Hikers, actually).

Frau
04-21-2008, 20:36
Blissful,

Which of the Spenco's do you have? I looked at the Superfeet and they sure seem hard to me.

Frau

Frau
04-22-2008, 06:50
Tracyam,

All the products on the Ouch Pouch website, look GREAT! I was concerned with the pressure on my left great toenail and these products address just that.

Have you used these products? Which have you found the most effective?

Ouch Pouch plus correct lacing should help. I am also going to see where I can buy the INOV-8s.

Frau

Quoddy
04-22-2008, 08:23
I am also going to see where I can buy the INOV-8s.

Frau
Thery're very difficult to find in a store. Many online retailers have them. Make sure that you order a half size larger than your normal shoes/boots since they run that much smaller. The most popular styles for hikers are the Flyroc 310, Roclite 315, and Terroc 330. If the forward area of your foot is narrow to normal, the Roclites are excellent; if they're normal to wide, I find the slightly wider toe box of the Terroc's great (I have both). BTW, the Inov-8's feel very different than most shoes... the soles are thinner and quite flexable and the uppers ventilate extremely well. Their longevity is not as good as many shoes or boots, but WOW, they are light (around 22oz a pair).

Frau
04-22-2008, 08:41
Lots of ventilation and flexible soles sounds like what I am wearing now. I am thinking I may need just a little more form on the upper than I have now, though. It was very difficult for the shoe to hold any shape at all on the steep downhill. I will use the new lacing pattern this weekend and give a another test, but anticipate needing a little more shoe for steep and rocky terrain.

I am a wide foot (I Wish I Had Duck Feet--used to make me laugh. I do have duck feet). So I need to look at the Terras, you say. I will search on the web. I do hate buying shoes without trying them on though. Shoes are often too narrow.

Frau

Frau
04-22-2008, 09:02
Actaully found two Inov 8 retailers in VA--Gainesville and Midlothian. Gainesville is on the way home to visit Pop, so I will hope the day I make a trip they have my style and size.

Until then, I am contemplating, the insoles , lacing and Ouch Pouches recommended. I am so delighted to not have to condemn my trail runners to oblivion just yet.

Frau