PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 day relatively easy hike on AT

Earl Grey
04-20-2008, 08:12
So my parents want to do a couple day hike on the AT and I suggested we do Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar or Smithsburg. I remember it being pretty easy but the only problem is its pretty far away to drive. Having not done any in NC or VA can you think of a closer place than MD to do a 2-3 dayer thats still pretty easy?

joec
04-20-2008, 12:48
I did Watuga Dam Road, about 35 miles south of Damascus, into Damascus last summer and it was mostly a ridgeline hike which I found to be easy. Being a ridgeline hike, it also had continual breezes blowing and the views were good on both sides of the trail. The hardest part was the last 6 miles or so as it was fairly steep downhill switchbacks.

dessertrat
04-20-2008, 14:23
Pen Mar to Harper's Ferry would be even easier than Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar. I truly enjoy that hike, here in my own Maryland-- not difficult but beautiful and historic in places.

orangebug
04-20-2008, 15:04
Another really nice hike would be to leave the car with Bob Peoples, get a shuttle down toward the Roan Highlands and walk back.

I'm thinking that would be 2-3 days. Otherwise, I'd try for the same with a walk-back toward Erwin, TN

Bootstrap
04-20-2008, 15:57
Another really nice hike would be to leave the car with Bob Peoples, get a shuttle down toward the Roan Highlands and walk back.

Yes, this is a gorgeous hike, but he was asking for an easy hike, and I don't think of the Roan Highlands as particularly easy, there's a lot of elevation change.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
04-20-2008, 16:15
So my parents want to do a couple day hike on the AT and I suggested we do Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar or Smithsburg. I remember it being pretty easy but the only problem is its pretty far away to drive. Having not done any in NC or VA can you think of a closer place than MD to do a 2-3 dayer thats still pretty easy?

How about Shenandoah National Park? I haven't done this section, but there's very little elevation change, you are still up on a ridgeline, and I've heard it is very nice. Surely someone who has done that section will comment ...

... but it's 5 1/2 hours from you.

Jonathan

whitefoot_hp
04-20-2008, 16:30
the easiest hike will be the one closest to your house.

Cabin Fever
04-20-2008, 16:45
I did Watuga Dam Road, about 35 miles south of Damascus, into Damascus last summer and it was mostly a ridgeline hike which I found to be easy. Being a ridgeline hike, it also had continual breezes blowing and the views were good on both sides of the trail. The hardest part was the last 6 miles or so as it was fairly steep downhill switchbacks.

IMO, this is the easiest section in the entire south. Once you climb up the mountain from Watauga Dam Road, it is pretty much flat all the way into Virginia when you descend into Damascus. By flat, I mean the average hiker would never have to stop to take a break because of climbing. However, this is not the most exciting section in the world. I would suggest starting at Carver's Gap and taking your time towards 19E. You could make it an easy 2 day trip if you took your time. Stay the night at Overmountain Shelter.

orangebug
04-20-2008, 20:56
Yes, this is a gorgeous hike, but he was asking for an easy hike, and I don't think of the Roan Highlands as particularly easy, there's a lot of elevation change.Well, I'd suggest starting from Carver Gap (think that's the name) on the NC/TN border north of the entry to Roan Mtn Park. There are climbs, but no real switchbacks or related problems until heading down toward US 19 / Apple House shelter.

But, probably the nicest, somewhat easy hike in NC would be Standing Indian. There are numerous potential loop hikes that would allow beginner/weaker hikers exit strategies. But in my mind, the most spectacular views in NC are along the Highland Balds when the clouds part.

Berserker
04-21-2008, 13:14
IMO, this is the easiest section in the entire south. Once you climb up the mountain from Watauga Dam Road, it is pretty much flat all the way into Virginia when you descend into Damascus. By flat, I mean the average hiker would never have to stop to take a break because of climbing. However, this is not the most exciting section in the world. I would suggest starting at Carver's Gap and taking your time towards 19E. You could make it an easy 2 day trip if you took your time. Stay the night at Overmountain Shelter.

I agree with TwoBy and JoeC. I just got done doing this section a couple of weeks ago, and it is fairly flat. I have studied all the maps from Springer to Shenandoah, and picked this section as a "warm-up" (to start off '08) because it appears to be the flattest, easiest section (assuming the profiles are somewhat accurate...which they seem not to always be). There are some gradual ascents and descents, but nothing steep or real long.

Earl Grey
05-03-2008, 20:33
I am leaning towards PenMar to HF for a few reasons.

1. Its real easy and theres not alot of elevation change.
2. The views are nice, (weverton, annapolis)
3. You can say you actually walked across a state. I think this would be good as a "I can do the whole trail one day" type of mentality boost.
4. Ive done it myself so I know what its like.
5. I stayed at the Free State Hostel in MD so I could probably get a ride back with them.

stormin norman
05-04-2008, 01:33
When do you plan on heading out? I would not mind doing that hike again if I could find someone to get a ride with. If you are going over a weekend maybe we could work out a shuttle or leave one vehicle at one end and another at the other and hike to our respective vehicles. Let me know if you are possibly interested.

Dean

hopefulhiker
05-04-2008, 09:20
A good trip is to go up to Erwin and catch a shuttle up to Carvers Gap and hike down Roan Mt. and up Unaka and then downhill to Erwin... It is a relatively easy two to three day hike... Only about a two to three hr drive too..