PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for June Trip

ahess45
04-20-2008, 15:07
Hi, I live in southeast Michigan and I am considering going out to the AT this June for a 3-4 day backpacking trip. I would be going with two other guys, we have camping experience. I haven't been to the AT before and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good 3 or 4 day hike. We are all runners and we like tough stuff, so the harder the better! Thanks
Alex

warraghiyagey
04-20-2008, 15:10
If you like the more difficult aspects you might try the Franconia Notch area in NH.
Or the southern most AT in Maine.
:welcome:welcome

Blissful
04-20-2008, 18:34
If you like the more difficult aspects you might try the Franconia Notch area in NH.
Or the southern most AT in Maine.
:welcome:welcome

Yeah, that would wake one up quick to the reality of backpacking. Mahoosuc Arm and Old Speck right off the bat. Or the Kinsmans. Or my favorite, North Carter (where I almost tossed my backpack off the edge of the trail.) But the Whites and Maine are beautiful, nonetheless. :)

Anyway, I think it depends on how far (travel wise) or what state you may be interested in. NH would take some time in travel, so you need to consider that as well.

But just to let you know, backpacking is not like running. You use the muscle gorups in different ways, plus you are carrying a load on your back. You may be fine cardiovascularly with heart and lungs, but the leg muscle groups are stressed differently. And they will ache (as will your knees).

If you want a really tough one, go up Mt Madison and the Presidentials in the Whites SOBO.