PDA

View Full Version : Lost Pack!

hikersmom
04-20-2008, 18:10
My son arrived in Gainesville minus one pack...he arrived on Saturday...and so far still no pack. Last known location was Greyhound Bus Station, Nashville, Tn.

He was told it should have arrived in Gainesville at 5PM today...of course it didn't.

any ideas anyone?

Blissful
04-20-2008, 18:22
Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I hope someone has an idea. I only know that airlines hunt down lost luggage, but not sure about busses, what the route for a claim is? Might give them a call.

Lost My Mind
04-20-2008, 18:38
I'm in Nashville. If there is anything I can do from this end let me know. If you find out it is still at the bus station, I could pick it up and ship it to you if you don't want to take a chance of them sending it on!

hikersmom
04-20-2008, 22:25
I'm in Nashville. If there is anything I can do from this end let me know. If you find out it is still at the bus station, I could pick it up and ship it to you if you don't want to take a chance of them sending it on!

Thank you, I am hoping to hear from him tomorrow, he is still in Gainesville GA. Staying at a hotel there. His plan is to contact the lost baggage dept. tomorrow morning. He was told by the driver that it would be sent on to Gainesville. But we are now wondering...Gainesville Florida, or Gainsville, GA?

I will be in contact when I hear from him. Thank you.

Bulldawg
04-20-2008, 22:29
Thank you, I am hoping to hear from him tomorrow, he is still in Gainesville GA. Staying at a hotel there. His plan is to contact the lost baggage dept. tomorrow morning. He was told by the driver that it would be sent on to Gainesville. But we are now wondering...Gainesville Florida, or Gainsville, GA?

I will be in contact when I hear from him. Thank you.

I work in Gainesville everyday. If he needs anything, contact me, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Tennessee Viking
04-20-2008, 23:42
My son arrived in Gainesville minus one pack...he arrived on Saturday...and so far still no pack. Last known location was Greyhound Bus Station, Nashville, Tn.

He was told it should have arrived in Gainesville at 5PM today...of course it didn't.

any ideas anyone?
Knowing the Nashville terminal. It was probably stashed on the wrong bus.

Lyle
04-20-2008, 23:49
Once had a pack travel from Chicago to Detroit via Atlanta and New York City. I went direct, pack went touring. Once it made it to Detroit, it was sent via currier to my hometown bus station. Took about three days, but eventually I got it.

Here's hoping it works out ok for him.

Appalachian Tater
04-20-2008, 23:51
But we are now wondering...Gainesville Florida, or Gainsville, GA?That may very well be the root of the problem. Lots of college-aged kids going to Gainesville, Florida, not so much Gainesville, Georgia. My money would be on finding it in or it having gone through Gainesville, Florida, if it is found. Hope he gets it back.

digger51
04-21-2008, 01:12
The same thing happened to a young guy at the Hiker Hostel a couple of weeks ago. He constantly called the terminals between the last one he saw the pack at and Gainesville. It finally showed up at Gainesville with only his camp shoes and a couple of nalgene bottles missing. Moral of the story...keep calling all the bus stations till you find it.

Mother Nature
04-21-2008, 07:20
Just in case he is relying on the bus station to call him and not checking personally the arrival luggage, he should scout the station.

We shuttled a fellow a few years back that had the same problem. He kept calling bus station and he was told they hadn't seen it yet.

We were shuttling another lady to Springer from the airport so the other hiker with the missing pack went for the ride for something to do. We stopped by the bus station on the way out of Atlanta. He saw his pack leaning against a wall near the front counter.

He just picked up the unattended pack, everything was inside, and left. No one ever called and reported it had arrived or that it disappeared.

Hope all goes well with finding the missing pack!

spittinpigeon
04-21-2008, 07:21
The same thing happened to a young guy at the Hiker Hostel a couple of weeks ago. He constantly called the terminals between the last one he saw the pack at and Gainesville. It finally showed up at Gainesville with only his camp shoes and a couple of nalgene bottles missing. Moral of the story...keep calling all the bus stations till you find it.

I met that guy, he's from my city. VERY lucky he was to only have the nalgene and shoes missing. There were expensive things in his pack.

Captain
04-21-2008, 07:32
what bus service did he use cuase im going to be using greyhound and they say on thier website the traveler is responsible for making sure it gets transfered to each bus correctly, as long as he picked it up from the old bus and waited till he saw it was loaded onto the next one it shouldnt have been a problem

spittinpigeon
04-21-2008, 07:38
Just keep it with you all the time. That's what I do. If your pack isn't huge, should fit right between your legs.

Mother Nature
04-21-2008, 09:23
what bus service did he use cuase im going to be using greyhound and they say on thier website the traveler is responsible for making sure it gets transfered to each bus correctly, as long as he picked it up from the old bus and waited till he saw it was loaded onto the next one it shouldnt have been a problem

That's a true statement however...

The hiker I referred to in the previous post kept his pack with him at all times. He watched it carefully. It was stacked up with stuff being loaded on the bus. He stayed with it until he was told he had to board. From the window he watched them load the bus and at some point things no longer fit and the luggage cart with his pack was taken away. He ran off the bus and was told his bag was being put on another bus heading to Atlanta and would arrive about the same time as his. When he got off the bus he immediately asked when the next bus was scheduled to arrive and he stayed and watched every bus coming to Atlanta all the day and evening.

Personally, after all the grief I have read and seen, if I were in the position to hike the AT and traveling public transportation I would mail the bag and gear to myself to be picked up at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega or elsewhere. I realize that's no guarantee but it seems better odds.

Lilred
04-21-2008, 11:50
This is very disturbing since I will be taking a bus to Roanoke on May 25th. My husband and I have come up with a solution, although I am not happy with it. He suggests I put my pack in a big box and travel with it that way. Theft is his concern. Me, I'd rather just try to get on the bus with it.

Has anybody travelled on a greyhound and was able to take their pack on the bus with them?

Alligator
04-21-2008, 12:13
what bus service did he use cuase im going to be using greyhound and they say on thier website the traveler is responsible for making sure it gets transfered to each bus correctly, as long as he picked it up from the old bus and waited till he saw it was loaded onto the next one it shouldnt have been a problemI've been to one big terminal (Greyhound in TX) where the loading/unloading was done out of site, so watching the bag at all times was not possible. They also lost my bag there too. I think it took 2 days to get back to me.

Bare Bear
04-21-2008, 15:00
Hvaing worked for Delta Airlines and a large tour bus company:
Always make sure old baggage tags are removed before you leave your bag so that only a new one is on it. Many bags go missing or get wrong routed due to an old bar code being read by a machine and it is getting more probably than not that a machine is reading the info not a person.
Second make sure you have a permanent lable with home address and if possible your Cell phone number inside the bag clearly visible. It is easy to make that cell call to you if someone finds it.

hikersmom
04-21-2008, 16:13
Thanks to all who have replied to this post. As of 9:00 this morning (Monday), when I heard from my son...still no pack...though they thought it was in Atlanta, and would arrive in Gainesville today.

He did not change buses in Nashville, where his pack was left...he did make the mistake of not watching it at each stop. He saw it sitting on the side of the bus parking area as they were pulling out, but the driver refused to stop, said it would be sent along.

Yeah right.

He has turned his cell phone off due to worry about the battery going dead, since the charger is in his pack!

I gave him the phone number of Hiker Hostel...my hope is he goes there...but dunno...its his choice...not mine.

He has been hanging out at the bus station off and on since Saturday...

If he calls me back I will pass along all advice from ya'll....thanks so much!

hikersmom
04-21-2008, 16:25
Hvaing worked for Delta Airlines and a large tour bus company:
Always make sure old baggage tags are removed before you leave your bag so that only a new one is on it. Many bags go missing or get wrong routed due to an old bar code being read by a machine and it is getting more probably than not that a machine is reading the info not a person.
Second make sure you have a permanent lable with home address and if possible your Cell phone number inside the bag clearly visible. It is easy to make that cell call to you if someone finds it.

His name, address, and cell phone number are clearly marked on the bag....dunno....

George
04-21-2008, 21:11
If you would like to post a list I could start working on a set of gear if he does not need it there is nothing lost

Bulldawg
04-21-2008, 21:16
His name, address, and cell phone number are clearly marked on the bag....dunno....

I tried to get him twice this afternoon. Hopefully you got my emails and can pass along my advice to him.

Captn
04-22-2008, 15:19
I tried to get him twice this afternoon. Hopefully you got my emails and can pass along my advice to him.

I've got an old G-pack, size large, in great shape, that I can donate to the cause.

What size is he?

Chef2000
04-22-2008, 20:33
I have stoves, cookware, a Mountainsmith pack, a tent and more if anything is needed just PM me. I couls send to Josh's hostel. Let me Know.

Bulldawg
04-22-2008, 20:42
Wow, what nice people. I tried to call him again today before I left Gainesville for the night. Hopefully you got my emails this afternoon. Here's to hoping he got the pack.

On a side note, it is starting to sound like maybe people should send their packs along to the Hiker Hostel or something via UPS or FedEx. Josh and Leigh might or might not go along with that??

Captain
04-23-2008, 04:06
that does it im mailing my pack and gear and just going with my back pack with small electronics like my journal my cell phone my ipod flashlight and the crank charger for all of them

Captn
04-23-2008, 10:45
I have stoves, cookware, a Mountainsmith pack, a tent and more if anything is needed just PM me. I couls send to Josh's hostel. Let me Know.

I've got a 20 degree 3.5 lb North Face Bag in great shape I can send along as well as well as a pair of generic frog toggs I could ship to him as well.

Water filter, Nalgenes, just let us know what he needs ... I'm sure that others will contribute as well if needed.

He shouldn't be at the mercy of Greyhound to complete his through hike.

Mark

Tabasco
04-23-2008, 10:48
that does it im mailing my pack and gear and just going with my back pack with small electronics like my journal my cell phone my ipod flashlight and the crank charger for all of them

Not sure if this is meant to be a humorous posting, but if it is not, the irony is that this stuff will probably be mailed back home at Mountain Crossings.....

Captn
04-23-2008, 10:58
Wow, what nice people. I tried to call him again today before I left Gainesville for the night. Hopefully you got my emails this afternoon. Here's to hoping he got the pack.

On a side note, it is starting to sound like maybe people should send their packs along to the Hiker Hostel or something via UPS or FedEx. Josh and Leigh might or might not go along with that??

You could treat your equipment just like a bounce box and ship it to a local post office for pickup when you get there. Although they don't have the best hours, it's probably the most certain.

When I flew over to Atlanta on my last section hike I used my ULA conduit as a carry on with my clothes, electronics, poncho tent, pad, and quilt in it. I put my food sack, tolitries, alcy stove w/o fuel, tent stakes, ect. in a cheap dufflebag that I checked. (I could have used a box just as well)

My thought was that If they lost my checked baggage at the most I would have to buy 4 days of food, toiletries, a pocket knife, tent stakes, and make a new alcy stove, but I'd have the bulk of my gear with me.

It worked very well and I plan on doing it again for my next section hike this fall.

Just another thought when picking a pack...... will it qualify as carry on luggage?

hikersmom
04-23-2008, 11:21
Pack ARRIVED this morning!!!!

One happy hiker!

We are all quite disgusted with the Greyhound Bus Companies luggage procedures though, being told "It is in route, and should arrive sometime this week" just doesn't cut it.

He did say the woman who works the Gainesville terminal was very nice, and called him as soon as it arrived this morning.

I have told him of how kind and generous everyone on the forum here is. He is extremely grateful, although unwilling to accept "charity" as he put it, he said he had lost it, and if he had to replace it, it was his responsibility....

At this point don't know if anything is missing, but hoping all is there or easily replaceable...

And I think the advice to mail packs ahead is best!

With all this bad Karma, I am now worried about him being on the trail! But, hey I'm a mom, gotta worry bout somethin'!

Thank you all!

Bulldawg
04-23-2008, 11:35
Pack ARRIVED this morning!!!!

One happy hiker!

We are all quite disgusted with the Greyhound Bus Companies luggage procedures though, being told "It is in route, and should arrive sometime this week" just doesn't cut it.

He did say the woman who works the Gainesville terminal was very nice, and called him as soon as it arrived this morning.

I have told him of how kind and generous everyone on the forum here is. He is extremely grateful, although unwilling to accept "charity" as he put it, he said he had lost it, and if he had to replace it, it was his responsibility....

At this point don't know if anything is missing, but hoping all is there or easily replaceable...

And I think the advice to mail packs ahead is best!

With all this bad Karma, I am now worried about him being on the trail! But, hey I'm a mom, gotta worry bout somethin'!

Thank you all!

I'll be out on the Georgia sections next weekend Thursday thru Saturday. From Unicoi to the NC state line I think. So maybe I'll see him out there. Good luck to him and to you at home.

bigcranky
04-23-2008, 11:36

Great news.

By the way, it's not "charity" it's simply the hiking community taking care of its own. He'll learn about that on his hike, I hope.

HikerRanky
04-23-2008, 11:37
You could treat your equipment just like a bounce box and ship it to a local post office for pickup when you get there. Although they don't have the best hours, it's probably the most certain.

When I flew over to Atlanta on my last section hike I used my ULA conduit as a carry on with my clothes, electronics, poncho tent, pad, and quilt in it. I put my food sack, tolitries, alcy stove w/o fuel, tent stakes, ect. in a cheap dufflebag that I checked. (I could have used a box just as well)

My thought was that If they lost my checked baggage at the most I would have to buy 4 days of food, toiletries, a pocket knife, tent stakes, and make a new alcy stove, but I'd have the bulk of my gear with me.

It worked very well and I plan on doing it again for my next section hike this fall.

Just another thought when picking a pack...... will it qualify as carry on luggage?

Good idea there.... I've done this a number of times, travelling back and forth from Nashville to Hawaii.... I can tell you that a GoLite Pinnacle and just a minimum amount of supplies will fit just nicely in the overhead storage bins of airplanes.

Glad to hear that his gear showed up.... And don't worry about him out on the trail, he'll be just fine out there...

Randy

Chef2000
04-23-2008, 13:49
Glad everything is alright and hope to see him up in Massachusetts later this year.

He seems to be handling everything alright and his offer to replace his own equipment is admirable, it shows a great spirit of independence, something you dont usually see in a young person these days.

A 2000 mile hike is a huge undertaking and I could not have made it without the kindness(not charity) of others. I may not agree with evrybody in the community(hiker) but I know I can depend on them for help , no matter what.

Lyle
04-23-2008, 14:01
"I have told him of how kind and generous everyone on the forum here is. He is extremely grateful, although unwilling to accept "charity" as he put it, he said he had lost it, and if he had to replace it, it was his responsibility...."

Not charity. This type of support is quite common among hikers. I have seen people's packs being completely replaced when stolen, have participated in taking up a food-drive while in the backcountry for a hiker who mis-calculated his food needs, individual required items often appear from somewhere when needed by a deserving individual (most hikers are deemed deserving until proven otherwise). This is not a planned method of equipping yourself, but it happens after unfortunate incidents often. The only expectation from most of us is that it is passed forward when the opportunity presents.

" With all this bad Karma, I am now worried about him being on the trail! But, hey I'm a mom, gotta worry bout somethin'! "

Just convince yourself that he has now gotten his "big" challenge out of the way and he can look forward to smooth sailing now - probably not true, but it is a pleasant thought and good attitude to adopt. :)

Glad all is back on track for him, best of luck to him.

Don H
04-23-2008, 14:03
Bad Karma on the bus, good karma on the trail. Hikers take care of each other on the trail, don't worry he'll be fine.

leeki pole
04-23-2008, 14:11
Bad Karma on the bus, good karma on the trail. Hikers take care of each other on the trail, don't worry he'll be fine.
Agree 100%. One thing I've learned, we may have our differences, but it's one fine fraternity in hiker nation. (or should I add sorority, sorry girls);)

Alligator
04-23-2008, 14:52
Just another thought when picking a pack...... will it qualify as carry on luggage?If it fits the size requirements for carry on it ought to be fine. When flying, I have carried on my laptop backpack which looks like a daypack a number of times without any issues.

Captain
04-23-2008, 15:13
i think the measurement i was given was it can not exceed 68 inches with all dimensions added up

hikersmom
04-23-2008, 15:21
I'll be out on the Georgia sections next weekend Thursday thru Saturday. From Unicoi to the NC state line I think. So maybe I'll see him out there. Good luck to him and to you at home.

His original plan was to start at Springer, don't know now. He has to be back up here by July 15 for a wedding, so knew he wouldn't be able to complete the entire trail this go round. I am just so very happy he is getting to finally start! :banana

Hiking the trail has been a dream of his since age 12.

Again thank you for your kind offers...never know, if I ever get myself back in shape, I'll be attempting the trail myself someday, and I may get a chance to meet some of you wonderful folks.

hikersmom
04-23-2008, 15:28
"I have told him of how kind and generous everyone on the forum here is. He is extremely grateful, although unwilling to accept "charity" as he put it, he said he had lost it, and if he had to replace it, it was his responsibility...."

Not charity. This type of support is quite common among hikers. I have seen people's packs being completely replaced when stolen, have participated in taking up a food-drive while in the backcountry for a hiker who mis-calculated his food needs, individual required items often appear from somewhere when needed by a deserving individual (most hikers are deemed deserving until proven otherwise). This is not a planned method of equipping yourself, but it happens after unfortunate incidents often. The only expectation from most of us is that it is passed forward when the opportunity presents.

" With all this bad Karma, I am now worried about him being on the trail! But, hey I'm a mom, gotta worry bout somethin'! "

Just convince yourself that he has now gotten his "big" challenge out of the way and he can look forward to smooth sailing now - probably not true, but it is a pleasant thought and good attitude to adopt. :)

Glad all is back on track for him, best of luck to him.

I think we are both learning what a very special 'breed' of beings the Appalachian Hiker is.

His attitude has really amazed me, last night he said he was really angry about all the runaround, but he was not allowing it to control his actions, that made me feel very proud.

I look forward to hearing his stories about all the great people he meets along his journey, because I know he will meet many.

Blissful
04-23-2008, 19:33
So glad he got the pack, whew!

Onward!

Pokey2006
04-23-2008, 21:45
Greyhound should really be responsible for all his expenses these past few days while he's been waiting for his pack -- hotel, food, phone calls, etc.

I'm glad this had a happy ending. It caught my attention, because that's my biggest fear when traveling. A hiker's pack is his/her whole life!

Hopefully others learned from this scare. Always, always know where your pack is! Never, ever let them put it on a bus that you are not on yourself. If they try to put your pack on another bus, insist on traveling on that other bus WITH your pack. Even if you have to yell and scream and cause a commotion. It's Greyhound, they're used to yelling and screaming and commotions. Don't be polite when it comes to your pack!

I don't think there's any need to ship a pack, but if you travel by bus, you have to know the risks. On Greyhound, you have to watch out for yourself more than with other forms of travel. It's basic, bargain-basement travel, which boils down to every man for himself. Don't listen to what the drivers or people behind the counter tell you!

hikersmom
04-24-2008, 00:39
So glad he got the pack, whew!

Onward!

Oh Yes! Onward! I am so pleased for him.

Thank you!

hikersmom
04-24-2008, 00:43
Greyhound should really be responsible for all his expenses these past few days while he's been waiting for his pack -- hotel, food, phone calls, etc.

I'm glad this had a happy ending. It caught my attention, because that's my biggest fear when traveling. A hiker's pack is his/her whole life!

Hopefully others learned from this scare. Always, always know where your pack is! Never, ever let them put it on a bus that you are not on yourself. If they try to put your pack on another bus, insist on traveling on that other bus WITH your pack. Even if you have to yell and scream and cause a commotion. It's Greyhound, they're used to yelling and screaming and commotions. Don't be polite when it comes to your pack!

I don't think there's any need to ship a pack, but if you travel by bus, you have to know the risks. On Greyhound, you have to watch out for yourself more than with other forms of travel. It's basic, bargain-basement travel, which boils down to every man for himself. Don't listen to what the drivers or people behind the counter tell you!

Greyhound will definitely be hearing from this family, for several reasons.
What this cost him expense wise is important, as he had very carefully budgeted his limited funds for food, but not for 3 nights lodging in a hotel.

But I also think they need to think more about customer service. Yes the may be "bargain basement", but I have a feeling their business has been booming lately, with the price of gasoline so high. There are also perhaps some security precautions they should be thinking about.

Again, I thank all here for all your wonderful good wishes...

Pokey2006
04-24-2008, 04:46
The only "security precautions" I ever saw on a Greyhound was when they took away my tiny backwoods pocketknife, yet let a chef with a suitcase full of crazy huge, super-sharp, knives on the bus! I couldn't believe it.

It's sad to say, but don't expect too much from Greyhound, or any other bus service. Why? For the simple fact that they serve the poor of the poor -- hiker trash, college students, inner-city folks. Granted, more "middle class" people may turn to Greyhound as gas prices go up, but let's face facts: the powers that be wouldn't be caught DEAD on a Greyhound. They couldn't care less what happens to us Greyhound-riding folks. So it is what it is. Let it be a lesson learned, but don't let it put a hex on the rest of the journey, is all I can advise...

Let us know what kind of response you get from them, though.

Jaybird
04-24-2008, 05:22
My son arrived in Gainesville minus one pack...he arrived on Saturday...and so far still no pack. Last known location was Greyhound Bus Station, Nashville, Tn. He was told it should have arrived in Gainesville at 5PM today...of course it didn't.any ideas anyone?

I think i saw some homeless dude with it over by the Ryman...
oh what a minute...that was a lost hiker!
hehehehehehe:D

section hiking w/ "Jigsaw" Turk Gap,Va to Harpers Ferry, WV beginning Apr 26th.
See ya'll out there!

StarLyte
04-24-2008, 05:26
I am so happy to hear the pack has been reunited with it's owner.

And now I see a GREAT new Trail name !!

Anyone....? :sun

Captain
04-24-2008, 06:15
price comparison bus vs. airline , both prices reflect ROUND TRIP, from CINCINNATI to DENVER leaving JULY FIRST and returning JULY ELEVENTH ( not angry just emphasizing details so they stand out) NOTE: since greyhound is much like coach on an airplane that is the selected class to give the appropriate price difference for the same "travel conditions" wouldn't be accurate to quote greyhound coach and airline first class so again quoting COACH/economy ALSO selecting travel with most connections if any since you have to transfer buses too

Greyhound:

Select Fare Type
Purchase Fare Type Qty Passenger Each Total Refundable Fare (javascript: newWindow = openWin( 'Restrictions.asp?Restrictions=C%252520', 'help', 'width=600,height=300,toolbar=0,location=0,directo ries=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=0 ' ); newWindow.focus()) 1
Adult
$300.00
$300.00 7-Day Advance Purchase (javascript: newWindow = openWin( 'Restrictions.asp?Restrictions=1234%252CA7%252CNR% 252CNFD', 'help', 'width=600,height=300,toolbar=0,location=0,directo ries=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=0 ' ); newWindow.focus()) 1
Adult
$168.00
$168.00 14-Day Advance Purchase (javascript: newWindow = openWin( 'Restrictions.asp?Restrictions=1234%252CA14%252CNR ', 'help', 'width=600,height=300,toolbar=0,location=0,directo ries=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=0 ' ); newWindow.focus()) 1
Adult
$154.00
$154.00

Cheapest flight from www.priceline.com:

http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/sp.gif

from $257
Round-Trip
Per Person CHOOSE
DEPARTURE (javascript:ButtonSubmitHandler(document.FareResul ts, 'SLICEKEY-0701CVGAA3456AA1351|American Airlines-3456-Tue, Jul, 01, 11:05:00 EDT 2008-Tue, Jul, 01, 12:30:00 EDT 2008~American Airlines-1351-Tue, Jul, 01, 13:40:00 EDT 2008-Tue, Jul, 01, 14:35:00 EDT 2008|ITIN-26051751500033-2605175150013-204.64-0.01-37.50-15.36-0.00-0.00'))

http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/contract/airLogo_AAsm.gif
American Airlines
Flight 3456
Flight 1351
http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/tag_results2.gif No Booking Fee on this flight
Cincinnati, OH ( CVG (http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/fare_results_departure_bk.asp?session_key=5C0011AC 5D0011AC200804240953032133b0099689&plf=pcln&path=bak#)) → Denver, CO ( DEN (http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/fare_results_departure_bk.asp?session_key=5C0011AC 5D0011AC200804240953032133b0099689&plf=pcln&path=bak#))
1 Stop Connects in Dallas, TX (DFW)

Departing ···Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:05am
Arriving ···Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 2:35pm
Trip Duration ···5h 30m
Full Flight Details (javascript:show_FullFlightDetails('ITIN-26051751500033-2605175150013','26051751500033','2605175150013','O UTBOUND'))
http://img1.priceline.com/pcln/vp/icon_savemore.gif Save up to $325: Flight + Hotel
(http://www.priceline.com/vacations/lang/en-us/vacations_ver.asp?session_key=5C0011AC5D0011AC2008 04240953032133b0099689&plf=pcln&AIRVACXSELL=Y&AirInPath=Y&irefid=HPAIRRESULTS&irefclickid=VPITN&refcode=XIPFRITDF&pt=2)

$257
Round-Trip
Per Person CHOOSE
RETURN (javascript:ButtonSubmitHandler(document.FareResul ts,'ITIN-26051751500033-2605175150013-204.64-0.01-37.50-15.36-0.00-0.00'))

http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/PCLN_tickets_left_1.gif (javascript:void gfIQPopUpHelp('ext(AIRPOP_SEAT_AVAIL)',gIQConstPop UpSmall)) ticket left at this price.
http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/contract/airLogo_COsm.gif
Continental Airlines
Flight 34
Flight 2276
http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/images/tag_results2.gif No Booking Fee on this flight
Denver, CO (Denver Intl
Denver, CO

This airport is 13 miles ENE of Denver.
Transportation services to and from Denver International are available through public transit, scheduled shuttle vans, charter buses, limousines, rental cars, taxicabs, and hotel courtesy shuttles.
Denver International has one terminal with three concourses. There are short and long term parking lots, a shuttle lot, and a valet parking service. The parking information line is (303) 342-7275.
Priceline recommended hotels near this airport are the Amerisuites Denver Airport and the Courtyard By Marriott Denver AirportDEN (http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/fare_results_return_bk.asp?session_key=5C0011AC5D0 011AC200804240953032133b0099689&plf=pcln&path=bak#)) → Cincinnati, OH ( CVG (http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/fare_results_return_bk.asp?session_key=5C0011AC5D0 011AC200804240953032133b0099689&plf=pcln&path=bak#))
1 Stop Connects in Houston, TX (IAH)

Departing ···Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:25am
Arriving ···Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:05pm
Trip Duration ···6h 40m
Full Flight Details (javascript:show_FullFlightDetails('ITIN-26051751500033-2605175150013','26051751500033','2605175150013','R ETURN'))

Total in total Greyhound round trip : ~$300 cheapest round trip flight: ~$514
both pretax
travel time total Greyhound : ~ 2 days 17 hours , round trip flight : ~ 12 hours 10 minutes

just purely from my point of view it depends on HOW you want to travel cause if you do the math on time savings , meal savings ( you did want to eat those 3 days your on a bus right?) clearly airline is the CHEAPER option, once again thats subjective cause some people wont be caught dead in coach and will consider BUSINESS class "bargain basement" in which case the flight could be around $1500-$2500 personally i think theres something nice with relaxing on a bus and just having some time to wind down and out plus theres less risk of "jet lag" cause you are not crossing several time zones in a single day one time in 7th grade my school took a trip to Washington DC and rode by charter bus the whole way there and back (assuming thats standard anyway) however i just found something really neat about the whole world of bus travel, or maybe i just watch breakfast at tiffanys too much, but however you PREFER to travel i think the costs even out in the end one way or another.. ie spending 3 days in a hotel waiting for your pack to arrive plus the bus travel amount im sure could have gotten him a reasonable flight. i hadn't seen anyone really do this comparasion so i thought i would.. its 6 am ive been up since 230 am and im bored as heck hope this helped someone

Captain
04-24-2008, 06:21
I am so happy to hear the pack has been reunited with it's owner.

And now I see a GREAT new Trail name !!

Anyone....? :sun

needs to be something native american sounding like...waitsfurdays ,or great chief missinpak, runswithguns , biglittleangry , heapumpissedat"hound" campsinhotel, speaksrudely , chasinpak , OOO bigfist littlepatience ok ill stop now

Captain
04-24-2008, 06:25
incidentally i have no clue where "runswithguns" came from that just cracked me up

Two Speed
04-24-2008, 07:48
. . . When I flew over to Atlanta on my last section hike I used my ULA conduit as a carry on with my clothes, electronics, poncho tent, pad, and quilt in it. I put my food sack, tolitries, alcy stove w/o fuel, tent stakes, ect. in a cheap dufflebag that I checked. (I could have used a box just as well)

My thought was that If they lost my checked baggage at the most I would have to buy 4 days of food, toiletries, a pocket knife, tent stakes, and make a new alcy stove, but I'd have the bulk of my gear with me. . . Probably a good plan. A friend of mine checked her backpack as luggage. As best she can tell it was stolen in the Atlanta terminal. The airline reimbursed her, but she had a good ol' time finding the receipts, etc. Fortunately for her she was headed home to Cumming, so she had the time and resources to deal with the issue. If that had happened on the outbound leg it could have screwed up her plans pretty badly.

FWIW the authorities at Hartsfield-Jackson didn't seem real concerned, and the airline took their time cutting a check, too.

Chef2000
04-24-2008, 08:30
I am surprised no one has mention Amtrak as alternate, especially if you live on east coast. I have taken Amtrak to Gainsville, GA twice. I am lucky enough to have earned some money in my time , so I took a private room for the over night from DC. The pack was right there with me on the other seat. I know everyone cant afford this, but even with a regular seat you can have your pack right there, at then end of each car is a space for larger packs, you could sit right there and use your pack as foot stool.

Captain
04-24-2008, 08:36
I am surprised no one has mention Amtrak as alternate, especially if you live on east coast. I have taken Amtrak to Gainsville, GA twice. I am lucky enough to have earned some money in my time , so I took a private room for the over night from DC. The pack was right there with me on the other seat. I know everyone cant afford this, but even with a regular seat you can have your pack right there, at then end of each car is a space for larger packs, you could sit right there and use your pack as foot stool.

ho ho! another swiss!

hikersmom
04-25-2008, 09:23
needs to be something native american sounding like...waitsfurdays ,or great chief missinpak, runswithguns , biglittleangry , heapumpissedat"hound" campsinhotel, speaksrudely , chasinpak , OOO bigfist littlepatience ok ill stop now

As far as I know at this time he has decided to use his own name, but next time I speak with him, I will pass these along...they are great!

Bulldawg
04-25-2008, 10:17
Is he on the trail??

IceAge
04-25-2008, 12:07
Those names are great, but why not just stick with the simplest: "Greyhound"!

Captain
04-25-2008, 12:11
if you knew me at all you would know im not a fan of the SIMPLEST way of doing anything.... to make cheese dip i put cheese in the oven , microwave the salsa hand dice the peppers and onions then pull the cheese out of the oven and put it in the microwave to finish then add the peppers and onions to the salsa mix it up put those in the oven then pull the cheese out of the microwave and mix it with the salsa ( still in the oven) then lastly i put the whole thing in the microwave to finish

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 12:20
Probably a good plan. A friend of mine checked her backpack as luggage. As best she can tell it was stolen in the Atlanta terminal. The airline reimbursed her, but she had a good ol' time finding the receipts, etc. Fortunately for her she was headed home to Cumming, so she had the time and resources to deal with the issue. If that had happened on the outbound leg it could have screwed up her plans pretty badly.

FWIW the authorities at Hartsfield-Jackson didn't seem real concerned, and the airline took their time cutting a check, too.

Sounds like ATL.:rolleyes:

hikersmom
04-26-2008, 09:30
Is he on the trail??

As of Thursday night he was at Springer, I haven't heard from him since.

So if any body runs across him, I would love to know.

Lyle
04-26-2008, 11:41
Is he keeping a journal? Now that we are all into his business, we expect to be kept informed! ;)

If he is doing a journal, what is his name? At the very least, HikersMom needs to keep us updated.

Hope all goes well for him. :sun

Symbol
04-26-2008, 17:42
Good luck to him. I am glad he got his pack.

Trillium
04-26-2008, 18:42
Good luck to him. I am glad he got his pack.Me, too. pretty agonizing for a Mom when there is nothing you can do to help your offspring out. I'm sure he'll be fine on the trail. Let us know what his trailname is when he gets one.