PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Appetites

Ron Haven
04-20-2008, 20:46
:-? I have saw in the past hikers scarfing up some vidles.As the many times I have went out to eat with them this year they seem to be eating like normal people.What is bringing on this change?:o

Thru Hiker Wife
04-20-2008, 21:41
Just dropped Runsalone back to the trail in Hot Springs. He had a a pretty good appetite while here but has issues on the trail with hunger...as in not having it. Tends to make himself it just cause he knows he should

Lone Wolf
04-20-2008, 21:55
:-? I have saw in the past hikers scarfing up some vidles.As the many times I have went out to eat with them this year they seem to be eating like normal people.What is bringing on this change?:o

they're carrying weenie packs, slackpacking too much and staying too long in hostels

Thru Hiker Wife
04-20-2008, 21:58
~Sigh~

No that;s not what my husband is doing.

Ron Haven
04-21-2008, 12:48
they're carrying weenie packs, slackpacking too much and staying too long in hostelsMaybe that's it :-? I remember at the prime sirleon seeing a skinny hiker eat 8 steaks,salad,vegetables and dessertsssssss :cool: Come back to the motel and drink a few yuenglings.Eat 2 large bags of potatoe chips and a can of 9 lives cat food someone had thrown in the hiker box:eek:

Just before I left he ask me,"what time was the breakfast shuttle?" :o

Dholmblad
04-21-2008, 12:56
I still had the hiker appetite months after I got off the trail.

Quoddy
04-21-2008, 13:01
Any hiker putting in long miles for many consecutive days will definitely outpace the amount of food that they need to consume, and will have a hiker appetite when they finally get to a town meal. Hikers that are stopping regularly in town will never reach that kind of caloric deficit, and will eat almost normally.

max patch
04-21-2008, 13:05
I know when I stayed at Rainbow Springs I ate like a normal person.

I discussed this subject with Jensine over the years when I returned to RSC on section/day hikes. She was of the opinion that the legendary thru hiker appetite had not yet kicked in when hikers reached RSC.

Bare Bear
04-21-2008, 14:32
Different strokes Ron.......I don't get hungry for about thirty days on the trail. Then I want fresh salads. I recall Dick Tracy eating five 1/3 pound cheese burgers with all the fixings at some Trail Magic in Va! I was amazed such a skinny guy could eat that much. It just aint fair that us short fat guys eat less and still weigh more :)

Blissful
04-21-2008, 14:33
Ours really didn't kick in for about 2 months. Takes time for the metabolism to shift. By mid VA it was in full swing.

Ron Haven
04-21-2008, 20:36
Different strokes Ron.......I don't get hungry for about thirty days on the trail. Then I want fresh salads. I recall Dick Tracy eating five 1/3 pound cheese burgers with all the fixings at some Trail Magic in Va! I was amazed such a skinny guy could eat that much. It just aint fair that us short fat guys eat less and still weigh more :)I know that is right.In the year of 2000 I weighed 220 which is about right for a man my size.Riding around with hiker friends to buffets has netted me at 260 lbs :eek:

buff_jeff
04-22-2008, 11:12
I only got into backpacking last year, but on my first trip ever--the northern 76 miles of Pennsylvania--I had almost no appetite. I've heard other people mention the same thing, that it takes time for the appetite to build up. When I finished the southern 150 miles or so with my Dad we had no appetite until we made it to Duncannon. We pretty much ate constantly the entire day we were there.

tlbj6142
04-22-2008, 11:19
For my short trips, I have to make myself eat the little food I carry. Probably far fewer calories than I eat at home each day. As mentioned above, it can take several weeks before this kicks in.

Dholmblad
04-22-2008, 11:20
I remember eating my entire food bag 1 day out, then having to go back into town to get more food..

astrogirl
04-22-2008, 15:06
I was really hungry after the second day on this trip. I did notice hikers eating less than I expected and certainly less than I've seen in the past.

Sometimes, the shock of constant exertion will kill your appetite. You get over it. :D