PDA

View Full Version : for Chili36: re knoxville shuttle

Emptyman
04-21-2008, 08:36
Chili36,

OK, so I think I am ready to book things here. Thanks so much for willing to help a fellow hiker. I would be glad to pay for your gas if that helps. just the logistics of getting to the trail is difficult, of course, if you are not there.

Please tell me if there is a better time of day for you to pick me up. I am looking at coming in the 8th or 9th. I am not sure how I will get back to the airport after my hike - since I have no idea where I will get to or how- but I expect I will talk to others/ hitchhike etc.
Also, Fontana dam looks 'closed'. So maybe another entrance is better? Not sure, but whatever is easiest.
How far do you figure I can go in approx 12 days? I will be going at a respectable pace, I assume.

Thanks for your time.
rob

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2008, 08:50
Fontana Dam is open for foot traffic, but not auto traffic.

GSCOTT
04-21-2008, 15:44
• TVA anticipates closing the road over Fontana Dam to both vehicle and foot traffic for a period of approximately 6 weeks on March 31. Hikers should plan to use the blue blazed by-pass trail that originates at the TVA police station beside Fontana Dam and terminates at the park road on the north side of the dam. A map is posted at the Fontana Visitor Center and at the AT trail head in the park.

chili36
04-21-2008, 17:19
Emptyman,

Just let me know in advance and the time of day is not a factor as far as the 8th. Earlier in the day is better on the 9th. I can drop you off on the north side of the dam so crossing it isn't a problem either.

12 days? Assuming you are going to cover 10 to 15 a day, you should manage 120 to 140. Allen Gap is 122 miles from Fontana. I could pick you up there.

Send me an email at chili_36 @ yahoo dot com

Emptyman
04-24-2008, 20:23
Hey chili,

I tried to email you directly but I am not sure if you got my emails. So, FYI, if you can still help me out, this is my itinerary.

1- arrive Knoxville Thursday May 8th 2:23 pm

2- go for a long walk in the woods

3- leave knoxville Tuesday May 2:45 pm

If you can help me to connect this smoothly I would be extremely grateful. Let me know. Please email me directly at:

emptyfullness (at) acanac.net
or robruthmcrae (at) hotmail.com

thanks!

chili36
04-24-2008, 21:08
Stand by for inbound email.

SGT Rock
04-24-2008, 21:10
Hey Chili36 - noticed you are from Townsend. We ought to get together sometime.

chili36
04-25-2008, 16:55
I drive through Maryville two times a day on my to and from K-town. Just send me an email.

BTW, the spring fest is in Townsend this weekend. Plenty of BBQ and Bluegrass at the visitor's center.

SGT Rock
04-25-2008, 17:16
Well we were heading up to Hot Springs to deliver JAck's supply box to him.

chili36
04-25-2008, 20:18
Good plan.

I am headed up to LeConte shelter tomorrow for the night. My wife has never been up there. Curious weather we are having...I have to at least consider it might snow up there tomorrow night.

chili36
05-06-2008, 15:10
Emptyman,

Is everything a "go" for the 8th?

Emptyman
05-06-2008, 19:31
chili,

Yes, everything is a go for the 8th. I was going to check with you tomorrow.

To recap, my flight will arrive in Knoxville Thursday May 8th at 2:23 pm.

My plans are to start at Fontana gap. Maybe you should give me your phone number at my personal email so I can call if there are any issues.
I will pm you also.

thanks