PDA

View Full Version : Dried Fruit Nut Bar Recipe

Frau
04-21-2008, 13:07
I KNOW I recently went to a site that is linked at WB which had a recipe for dried fruit/nut/oat bars which used NO sugar. As I recall the fruits all had to be chopped up small and one of the binders was orange juice. It may have used a small amt of honey. As I recall it had oats in it.

I have many of the dried fruits and REALLY want to make the recipe and now cannot find it!:(

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Frau, The Forgetful

Vince
04-28-2008, 11:51
I'm toying with the idea of consolidating all my nutrition into one quick & easy source. Is this realistic?

I was thinking an organic honey and/or maple syrup to bind oats, crushed nuts, chocolate bits, wheat germ, dried fruit, salt, and a touch of powdered fiber. What would be good for a protein boost - something soy?

auburnbreeze
04-28-2008, 11:56
Would love to have this recipe too! A friend of mine made some bars with condensed milk. They were great!

Vince
04-28-2008, 12:02
Just found this: Recipe (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_11_17/ai_86649790)

I'm going to tweak mine a bit, but this is a great template. I didn't even consider using a protein powder. Duh! I also like that the nutritional information is provided.

1 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup protein powder
1 cup raisins 1 cup coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup light Karo syrup

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 PIECE (86g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 348
Fat Cals: 136
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15.1g 23%
Saturated Fat 5.5g 27%
Cholesterol 0.0mg 0%
Sodium 335.2mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 49.1g 16%
Dietary Fiber 4.8g 19%
Sugars 26.1g
Protein 10.6g
Vitamin A 19%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 14%
Iron 14%
COPYRIGHT 1999 American Running & Fitness Association
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

max patch
04-28-2008, 12:06
Just found this: Recipe (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_11_17/ai_86649790)

I'm going to tweak mine a bit, but this is a great template.

One piece has 27% of daily saturated fat. I know where I'd start tweaking. It does sound good, though.

Vince
04-28-2008, 12:44
What would be a good way to get around the fat?

Vince
04-28-2008, 12:47
Oops, I forgot: Maybe replace the fiber powder with flaxseed powder? Same effect with added benefits, I would presume.

Farr Away
04-28-2008, 12:57
Leaving out the coconut would probably help a lot with the saturated fat. There's 24 grams of saturated fat in a cup of shredded coconut (also 283 calories/224 of which are from fat).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20o6.html

Vince
04-28-2008, 13:09
Yikes, good idea. I'm not a big fan of it anyway, so even better.

sarbar
04-28-2008, 13:33
Status, you could also replace the corn syrup with maple syrup or honey as well!

Christopher Robin
04-28-2008, 13:50
I kwon you need salt whil backpacking but, the sodium is 335, how can I reduce it.

Farr Away
04-28-2008, 14:10
I kwon you need salt while backpacking but the sodium is 335, how can I reduce it.
It's probably coming from the peanut butter. Look for a salt-free (low salt) version of peanut butter.

skinny minnie
04-28-2008, 16:40
well if you are thru-hiking... wouldn't you want something high in good fat? I'm all about nuts and peanut butter when hiking.

But I'd definitely replace the corn syrup. This is a great recipe from here:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/video-big-sur-power-bars-recipe.html

Big Sur Power Bar Recipe

If you can't find the crisp brown rice cereal, no worries - just use regular rice cereal for ex: Rice Crispies - just stay clear of "puffed" rice cereal, it will throw the recipe off. Feel free to substitute other types of nuts, seeds, or whatever little goodies you can dream up.

1 tablespoon coconut oil (or regular butter)
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup (unsweetened) shredded coconut
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups unsweetened crisp brown rice cereal
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
2 tablespoons ground espresso beans
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking pan with the coconut oil. If you like thick power bars, opt for an 8 by 8-inch pan; for thinner bars, use a 9 by 13-inch pan.
On a rimmed baking sheet toast the pecans, almonds, and coconut for about 7 minutes, or until the coconut is deeply golden. Toss once or twice along the way. Mix the oats, toasted nuts, coconut, and the cereal, together in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine the rice syrup, sugar, salt, espresso, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly as it comes to a boil and thickens just a bit, about 4 minutes. Pour the syrup over the oat mixture and stir until it is evenly incorporated.
Spread into the prepared pan and cool to room temperature before cutting into whatever size bars you desire.
Makes 16 to 24 bars.

fiddlehead
04-28-2008, 17:03
I agree with Skinny. I look for fat when hiking. I can't understand the fat free thing when you're thru-hiking.
I did a supported long hike once where we ate a lb. of bacon and a dozen eggs EVERYDAy that we were near the vehicle. IT was awesome.
Had a big box full of Little Debbies onboard at all times too.

sarbar
04-28-2008, 17:51
Something is off with those stats on the sodium. 1 cup PB would give 1200 mg sodium on average...and there are 16 servings to that recipe, so the PB would provide 75 mg a serving. Unless the protein powder is whamming it up...it is off.

Btw, I'd use like cashew butter instead. So tasty! And you can get salt free as well.

sarbar
04-28-2008, 17:53
Btw..it wasn't this old thread was it?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29540&highlight=fruit
That was one I did awhile back :)

Frau
04-28-2008, 22:22
The two recipes here look good, but I am a gastric bypass patient and eat very little sugar. Dried fruits really push my limit, but when hiking I can burn up their sugars.

http://www.culinarymedianetwork.com/recipes/pan-de-higo.html

Here is an approximation of the fig cake (Pan de Higo) recipe I make with my own figs. I have added in homemade raisins and also prunes, and used ground almonds and not the seeds. I tried adding coconut and it ruined the texture. Also, keeping the loaf in the parchment and loaf pan in the refrigerator did NOT dry the loaf out enough. I tried the dehydrator, but found putting the loaf in the oven at low temperature worked better.

I am hoping to make a fruit-and-nut bar, using no sugar, a teaspoon or two of honey, a little orange juice maybe, and rolled oats, maybe wheat germ, almonds, pecan/walnuts. I have some of my own dried currant, apples, strawberries, peaches, papayas, Asian pears, and some blueberries coming up. I liked the weighted loaf pan process. What I want to avoid is wasting great ingredients on something that isn't GREAT.

You all are giving me great ideas, though.

PS--Have you all tried:

http://danstarco.com/

I LOVE their Chunks of Energy, Honey PISTACHIO, Wild Berry and Gorp. I only buy one of two chunks of the gorm though, because it has chocolate in it. Read the ingredients--I tried them at a local healthy food store and am almost addicted, but would really like to make my own.

Frau

Blissful
04-28-2008, 22:34
Actually, fat free is bad for your health, even if you are not hiking. We all need a certain amount of fat for metabolism. It's eating a well balanced diet that is the key, hiking or not.

And Frau - you're making me hungry!! :)

Vince
04-29-2008, 09:33
Lots of great info here. I'll use honey/maple in lieu of the corn syrup, eliminate the coconut and opt for a salt-free peanut butter.

This is coming together quite nicely. Thanks again!

Shadowmoss
04-29-2008, 10:20
I just tried Nutella for the first time, and it just seems to scream to be put into a bar like this. These posts give me some ideas of what else to add.

Shadowmoss
04-29-2008, 10:28
Is the coconut oil added to stiffen up the bar? It is hard at room temperature, but then that is also why it's bad for us.

Mark57
04-29-2008, 10:59
I believe what everyone is talking about here is the military's fruit bar called Pemican. We used these and tropical chocolate bars in the early '70's and they really kept you going.

Frau
04-29-2008, 12:31
I thought pemmican was a native American food: meat, berries and seeds pounded and dehydrated. There are many recipes for it on the internet.

Nein, danke.

Frau

skinny minnie
04-29-2008, 12:48
frau - the honey pistachio sounds AMAZING!

I'm definitely going to have to play around with this... they look a lot like the ones sold at a grocery store near me - maybe it's the same brand.

Frau
04-29-2008, 21:10
The Chunks of Energy are sold at Cool Springs Market near me, and at the Roanoke Valley Co-Op. I have yet to buy them on the internet. It's too easy to get them here, altho the selection is limited. I LOVE the honey pistacio--my favorite. They contain apricots which make them moister then the wild berry.

The product is carried at small markets and natural food stores. Try the different flavors out and see what you like best. i learned I don't care for the various carob flavors.

Frau

desdemona
04-29-2008, 22:12

Maybe using something like Smart Balance peanut butter?
It would be $$ but would cut down on the fat quite a lot.

--des