PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on basic equipment brands.

Brooks2009
04-21-2008, 13:07
I'm planning on NoBo thru-hiking for the 2009 season. I'm ex-Air Force Spec Ops and I know what to expect as far as how strenuous the hike will be, but I need advice on what brands are quality and which to stear clear of while I accumulate gear over the next year. Tents, sleeping bags, packs, etc. I imagine there are a few brands that are specifically designed for distance hiking like this and as such are very light-weight and durable. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

greentick
04-21-2008, 13:13
I'm planning on NoBo thru-hiking for the 2009 season. I'm ex-Air Force Spec Ops and I know what to expect as far as how strenuous the hike will be, but I need advice on what brands are quality and which to stear clear of while I accumulate gear over the next year. Tents, sleeping bags, packs, etc. I imagine there are a few brands that are specifically designed for distance hiking like this and as such are very light-weight and durable. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:welcome

Try searching the forums, tons of info here.

Thanks for serving.

envirodiver
04-21-2008, 13:27
Brooks your question is one that is difficult to answer in a straight forward manner. You may want to follow Greentick's advice and search based upon the piece of gear (example: tents, stoves, sleeping bags, etc). Also, after you have started to narrow down your choices for each piece of gear, this forum is a great place to ask for experiences with those brands and/or specific pieces of gear.

Having said that, here is what I use and would recommend: I personally have been very satisfied over the years with Sierra Designs tents, I have a Big Agnes bag that I like very much, there are some excellent alcohol stoves that are available from members of this site, I use blue ccf pad under a REI short Pro-lite pad in winter and the Pro-Lite pad alone in spring, summer and fall, I like Osprey packs, MiOx water treatment (looking at MSR hyperlight filter).

I'm a light hiker, not ultra light.

Good luck.

Mags
04-21-2008, 13:46
There is no one brand to avoid/buy. Many people (myself included) use a mix of thrift store gear, army surplus, name brand gear and odds and ends from the house.

My only advice for "name brand" gear is to try to get a good sleeping bag. A good sleeping bag is an investment and will last a long time. It is one of the few cases where you really do get what you pay for. Wester Mountainerring, Feathered Friends, Marmot, Montbell, Golite and a few others all make good bags at 20f and at $300+. (Though the Campmor house brand at $110 is a decent bag esp. for the money).

Evil Eye
04-21-2008, 14:00
Brooks,
First I'd suggest a visit to a local outfitter/hike shop to look, try on and ask to talk to experienced hikers about equipping for a thru hike.
I am certainly no expert but, as others have mentioned, you will find extensive resource on this site. Check TrailJournals .com also. Many thruhikers list their gear selections &/or discuss issues they are having with gear.
As I researched for my thru last year- I found many more brands & resources than just the general hiking/ outdoor "big box" vendors.
A few brands with specific Long Distance oriented products to be sure to check out - that I saw a lot of last year & heard good things about - packs: UAL, Osprey,Granite Gear, ; tents - MSR Hubba, Stephenson Warmlite, Big Agnes, Shires Tarp Tents; Bags/Pads - Big Agnes, Feathered Friends, Western Mountainering, etc.- Jet boil, Steripen, Platypus, alcohol stoves, hiking poles,
REI, EMS, Backcountry and dozens more major outfitters do have very LD suitable gear.
I do not mean to suggest this as an exhaustive list - or to leave anyone out - just quick thoughts to maybe help you get started.
Other suggestion - since you sound like you are equipping for your thru from scratch & do not have some things already - research first - buy "better" & lighter gear initially. Ounces make pounds - pounds stop hikes!
I'm confident a recent Special Forces member will be able to handle the physical part of the AT - plan, pursue and enjoy. Do not get in a hurry & you will be fine.
Thanks for your service.

Be Safe

Evil Eye

LIhikers
04-21-2008, 15:14
I'd recommend
Tarptent.com for a tent and Montbell for their Ultralight, superstretch, downhugger line of sleeping bags.

Long feet
04-21-2008, 15:38
Dear Brooks,

Thanks for your service. There are years worth of debates on "the best gear" on this forum. The only answer is what works for you. I love my hammock, Gossamer Gear pack, and Jacks r' Better quilts, but as they say -- your milage may vary. Also, it really depends on your individual style of backpacking. But I can tell you one thing for sure -- you are going to love civilian gear. There is no need to carry the weight that you would in the service. Welcome to Whiteblaze, let us know if you have any specific questions, and don't mind the freaks :->

hopefulhiker
04-21-2008, 16:00
Here are some brands,,

Packs: Granite Gear, Golite, Gossamer Gear, Luxury lite, there are others..
Sleeping Bags, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Nunatak, Campmor, Jacks R better,Big Agnes
Tents. Tarptent, Six moons design, MSR, Golite, Gossamer Gear, or hammocks. Big Agnes, Hennesy, Jacks r better.
Pads: Thermorest, Big Agnes, Pacific outdoor Equipment, Feathered friends
Stoves, Jetboil, MSR, Sgt Rocks ion stove, Peak, Caldera Cone...
Clothing, Marmot, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Campmor

greentick
04-21-2008, 16:21
Hmmm...

I guess I could have been more helpful.

Here is my summer kit:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17715&catid=member&imageuser=6848

I don't always carry the hammock (drop 18oz) and if you don't include the camera or force protection my weight with 3-4 days of food and 3L of water is about 24lbs.

You are already used to austerity while in the field, so unless you have a bunch of luxury items (me: I got to have coffee, real coffee preferrably. And bourbon.) you just gotta have, you can travel light and still be safe and comfortable. With your background it's easy to have the mentality of "I need to have back up for everything..." and 60lbs of crap on your back doesn't seem like a big deal (I've been up to 126lbs and humped that cross country). Going lighter makes for a much more relaxing and comfortable evening after you stop. No more sore feet and shoulders.

If you know someone/or if you sew you can make a bunch of custom gear. Sleeping quilts are easy. So are tarps. Save your money for other gear etc. If you are still in, bribe a rigger with a 6pk and use their sewing machines.

You have time. As mentioned above, nose around the gear forums here and when you have some specific choices fire away. You will get a dizzying amount of replies.

Good luck

Blissful
04-21-2008, 16:43
Marmot (love their sleeping bags, wind shirt, and have the precip jacket)

MSR (love their Hubba and their pocket rocket)

Brooks (love their trail runners)

88BlueGT
04-21-2008, 18:07
+1 to loving Marmot bags. I know alot of people think its outrageously heavy (about 15oz w/ pump) but I love my Optimus Nova + stove. I love the durability, ease lighting, fuel efficiency, burn time, boil time, etc. of it.

http://www.optimus.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=33

ofthearth
04-22-2008, 07:37
Brooks,
First I'd suggest a visit to a local outfitter/hike shop to look, try on and ask to talk to experienced hikers about equipping for a thru hike.

Be Safe

Evil Eye

And there is a BIG difference between experienced hikers and LONG distance experienced hikers, or so I have found. (I'm referring mainly to gear). Try to find someone that has done (or started ) one of the one trails. And (more :-?) attend some of the meeting, gathering, rucks.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35913

And you might even get to meet some interesting personalities :eek:

fiddlehead
04-22-2008, 08:23
Some of my gear: Sleeping bags: Feathered friends
Tents or tarps: Intergral Designs
Packs: GO-Lite.
Stove: Pocket Rocket.

anyway, that's what i use and recommend. have fun out there.

Mags
04-22-2008, 10:14
It occured to me, here is my "Colorful take" on gear. :)

Shows what I really use. It has to be updated slightly, but overall gives an idea.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=33

You can also see how my gear evolved over the course of my hiking "career".

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=33

riverroyer
04-23-2008, 12:10
Love your comments and yor list. I am using the Catalyst and love it, but after packing it to 34# and trekkiing 2 and 3 day hikes in prep for an AT hike in 09 I have paring down considerably. I got a neat Alcohol stove (a Gram weenie for $11 and it is sturdier than the one I made and much lighter than my Primus and cannister together. Found a 4oz pot with lid and strainer at the grocery, it works and cleans up great, I also use a 1.2oz SS mug I bought in Mexico, wish I had bought a dozen they were 0.98 each. My bag is my heaviest necessary item at 3#8oz for a 20 degree bag, but it stuffs nice. I just like your thinking and will use your list

iliketacos
04-23-2008, 13:09
Another way to look at this is from a full-pack-weight perspective: regular, lightweight and ultra-lightweight. I think you may want to look at your big 4 or 5 items and try and keep them under 10 lbs. These items-for me anyway-were:

1. Pack-Osprey 70,-4-lbs.
2. Tent-Tarp Tent,-1.5 lbs.
3. Sleeping bag-Marmot 20 degree,-2 lbs.
4. Cooking System-Jet boil, 2-lbs with canister.
5. Water Filtration-Hiker Guide, 1.5 lbs

I'm sure there will be some dispute as 3 out of 5 of my items are not considered anywhere near lightweight. Also, before you hit the trail have someone "shake down" your pack, you may be surprised. Happy hiking.

Skidsteer
04-23-2008, 13:30
It might be helpful to read the Packing List articles listed on the home page. Here's a link to the first in the series:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=130925#post130925

Wags
04-23-2008, 22:39
most of your clothing gear can be used from stuff you already have at home. don't get swept up in the 'hiker' media blitz (stupid windshirts keep calling my name)

that said, get a good pack and sleeping bag - many have been mentioned

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 01:28
You can also find tons of decent hiking clothes at walmart, kmart, kohls, etc.