PDA

View Full Version : Pot Cozies

shaggy2004
02-01-2004, 23:06
I've heard some stuff about pot cozies. :confused: I use an alcohol stove and would welcome anyway to save fuel. Could some of you guys who know more about them or use them tell me how effective they are and maybe give me some directions on making one. Thanks a lot

Happy
02-02-2004, 00:20
http://hikinghq.net/gear/lemonade_bowl.html

Cehoffpauir
02-02-2004, 01:18
That link's great, and one set of on-line instructions are here: www.brasslite.com/potCozy.html You can buy one from www.antigravitygear.com if you want.

They work great in my experience. With 3/4 oz denatured alcohol I boil in my pot 2C water plus whatever I'm cooking for five minutes or so, and when the flame dies I seal the pot in the cozy and wait twenty minutes or so. (I might get by with less alcohol.) The food is thoroughly cooked and still so hot I have to let it sit a few minutes with the pot lid off to cool a bit before I can eat it.

steve hiker
02-02-2004, 01:19
I just got a cozy for my msr ti pot from AntiGravity Gear. Cost $7, very light, comes with a cover and fits perfect.

http://www.antigravitygear.com

deeddawg
02-02-2004, 09:54
I've heard some stuff about pot cozies. :confused: I use an alcohol stove and would welcome anyway to save fuel. Could some of you guys who know more about them or use them tell me how effective they are and maybe give me some directions on making one. Thanks a lotCozy's are a great addition to an alcohol stove -- I bought a roll of "Reflectix" from my local Lowes big-box hardware store ( www.reflectixinc.com ) and a roll of that metal foil tape. Cut a strip to wrap around my pot, a circle for the bottom, and a circle for the top. Taped the sides together but left a gap for the pot handle to stick out, and taped the bottom to the sides.

Works great for dehydrated meals -- bring to a boil, put the put in the cozy, then heat some tea water in a smaller metal cup (which fits inside my pot) with the remaining flame from the stove. Sip my tea for ten minutes or so and then eat right out of the pot while it's still in the cozy.

Also works great for boiling enough water for oatmeal & two cups of tea in the morning -- after pouring out the water for your oatmeal and one cup of tea, the cozy will keep the remaining water pretty hot.

MadAussieInLondon
02-02-2004, 12:13
i juse used an old closed cell foam pad. peice of cake. takes about 15 minutes with a little duck tape and a stanley knife.

Doctari
02-03-2004, 00:56
I only have one problem with my pot cozy, I used camo duct tape to put it together, I am so afraid of not being able to find it some day I'm almost tempted to never set it down :jump

Actually, I love it, I get the H2O & food nice & hot, drop the pot in & go get water. When I get back, the food is "cooked" & I have fresh, cold, water :)
Mine is made from an old piece of closed cell foam & duct tape, with a lid it fits my pot like a glove, even had to cut an air hole in the bottom, couldnt get the pot out :rolleyes:

Doctari.

DebW
02-03-2004, 09:31
I've made cozies out of closed cell foam, Reflectix, and fleece. The simplest one was a fleece hat inside a stuff sack. Works as a spare hat also. But you might not want to wear that hat to bed in bear country!!

Rain Man
02-03-2004, 13:27
I've made cozies out of closed cell foam, Reflectix, and fleece. The simplest one was a fleece hat inside a stuff sack. Works as a spare hat also. But you might not want to wear that hat to bed in bear country!!

WOW.... I like that double-duty cozy idea!!! I'm always on the lookout for replacing single-purpose items in my backpack with ones that do multiple functions for me. Thanks for that one.

Rain Man

NJPacker
03-20-2004, 18:32
I've made a few Pepsi can stoves. I've never used foil tape on the outside to seal the stoves. What should the temperature rating be for the tape I buy?
I've seen it rated from 175* to 260*. Thanks for your input.

Rambler
03-22-2004, 14:52
You can use "teflon tape" found in hardware stores and used to seal threads on pipe joints. Useful to have around the house, too. It adheres to itself, just pull it tight and cut or break off. teflon (www.amconservation.com/tape2.htm) It comes in a small roll in a container that looks like the tape roll container in a first aid kit.