PDA

View Full Version : H.H. Questions

SkunkleberryFinn
02-02-2004, 10:56
I'm planning on using an H.H. UltraLite on a section hike the next 2 years. Both times I will be on the trail from May-Aug. I have researched all the ways to warm it up but do I need to even add more heat if I am going to be gone during these months and not March, April, or Sept.?

I plan on going ultralight and even though I have a heavy bag.. I think I can plan on just bringing it since it is rated down to like 20 degrees or so. I will also bring a pad for the shelters. Is there a pad out there that is good for both the H.H. and shelter sleeping??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

deeddawg
02-02-2004, 11:38
I'm planning on using an H.H. UltraLite on a section hike the next 2 years. Both times I will be on the trail from May-Aug. I have researched all the ways to warm it up but do I need to even add more heat if I am going to be gone during these months and not March, April, or Sept.?

I plan on going ultralight and even though I have a heavy bag.. I think I can plan on just bringing it since it is rated down to like 20 degrees or so. I will also bring a pad for the shelters. Is there a pad out there that is good for both the H.H. and shelter sleeping??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Couple of thoughts...

I've been in my HH as low as a windy 19F with 20F rated REI Sub-Kilo bag + liner + layers of clothing and been reasonably comfortable using a green egg-carton style Coleman pad from Wal-Mart. I think it's about 14oz. Comfortable enough for shelters if you don't need to sleep on your side.

I'd also recommend hammocking nearby a shelter instead of staying in the shelter. Don't have to worry about snoring (yours or others), less issues with rodents, still have the social benefits and the convenience of the nearby privy and water (in most instances).

Kerosene
02-02-2004, 12:37
I think you'll find that if you string up the Hennessy tightly and sleep on the angle you might be able to get by with a short Therma-Rest pad down to about 50 degrees. Below that and you'll have to either wear fleece or get a wider/longer pad.

Repeat
02-02-2004, 12:45
http://www.bigagnes.com/str-rempads-aci.shtml
The above link is to a new air pad by B.A. filled with primaloft---72 inch long mummy weighs 20oz. however is only 20 inches wide. I have contacted the company to see if there is any possiblity of making this pad in a wider, mummy version for use in hammocks. Even with the narrow width, this is a very interesting product. AT 20oz, it is light and provides versatility in that it can be used to sleep in a shelter or on the ground. It is also rated to 15 degrees F. so during spring thru fall, a quilt would suffice, saving even more weight. I really enjoy sleeping in my H.H. and beleive this would be a good solution (light weight and versitle) at a good price--$65.
Repeat
Just for Today]
This is a duplicate post from another thread.

SkunkleberryFinn
02-02-2004, 13:10
I have a 70" pad (I think it's a therma-rest). Will this keep me warm from May-Aug if i wear fleece? I dont want to go with the hassle of making a quilt or any other heat shield. Grandma G. wouldn't do it anyways ;)

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but for the people who use under/ over quilts... Do you also need a sleeping bag with these? Do they pack small?

Lumberjack
02-02-2004, 18:43
I have a 70" pad (I think it's a therma-rest). Will this keep me warm from May-Aug if i wear fleece? I dont want to go with the hassle of making a quilt or any other heat shield. Grandma G. wouldn't do it anyways ;)

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but for the people who use under/ over quilts... Do you also need a sleeping bag with these? Do they pack small?

I use an underquilt(homemade) with a nanutak arc alpinist and no pad with my hennessy....sleeping bag? depends on the weather, at 70 no, at 30 you better bring something for the top half :)

Crash
02-02-2004, 23:10
I bought down long underwear @ Cabela's (on sale-dirt cheap) to go with my 40degree bag.
that keeps me toasty with a 5/8" pad.

Tinker
02-12-2004, 18:10
I wonder if you could take a cheap or used quilted down bag, cut it to size, sew some buttons on it and matching loops on your hammock, and make a cheap and easy underquilt? Hmmmmm. Wonder if my wife would miss her bag?

Tinker

Cehoffpauir
02-13-2004, 14:44
How effective against cold is pitching one's HH on the ground when necessary, with one's pad(s) underneath them?

tlbj6142
02-13-2004, 16:06
How effective against cold is pitching one's HH on the ground when necessary, with one's pad(s) underneath them?The same as with any tent. As you have effectivly stopped the convectional heat loss due to air movement below your body. And at the same time dramatically improved your insulation value beneath your body.