PDA

View Full Version : Cingular Wireless Service

Thru Hiker Wife
04-21-2008, 18:43
Okay, I know we are all not fans of Cingular but we are still in a contract so...

My question is to thru hikers, at what point(s) did you find that your Cingular serviced cell became completely useless? We looked at the coverage map but so far have found that it works in places it says it shouldn't and vice versa. Any help would be appeciated as Runsalone is trying to figure out when/where he might as well ship his phone home and say those few ounces. :rolleyes:

dixicritter
04-21-2008, 19:09
I would think that even if there isn't voice coverage, he MIGHT be able to at least get a text message out from time to time. I know that was the case in places that Rock didn't think he'd have service at all while he was on the trail.

Of course it is up to Runsalone if he wants to carry the weight or not.

elray
04-21-2008, 19:52
With the marriage of SBC (Cingular) and ATT the cell towers of each company became common extending the service area for Cingular customers. I can't give specific service grids but you'll find signal now where it wasn't available in the past. I've kept my ATT service for this very reason, hope that helps.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2008, 20:00
Actually, the service got worse after the merger. Not sure why. We switched to Vorizon and have had great service in VA, TN, KY, GA, FL, NC, SC, MD and DC.

10-K
04-22-2008, 10:25
Here's a trick....

When you start moving out of your regular service area dial *228 and select Option 2.

This will reprogram your phone to use the best available towers in your new area. I've done this and was able to get good service where it was starting to peter out.

Note: *228, Option 2 is for Verizon customers. I know that all providers have this kind of capability but the number dialed is different. You can read a little about it here http://cellphoneforums.net/alt-cellular-verizon/t183141-understanding-228-option-2-upgrade-your-preferred-roaming-list.html

Tennessee Viking
04-22-2008, 11:45
Okay, I know we are all not fans of Cingular but we are still in a contract so...

My question is to thru hikers, at what point(s) did you find that your Cingular serviced cell became completely useless? We looked at the coverage map but so far have found that it works in places it says it shouldn't and vice versa. Any help would be appeciated as Runsalone is trying to figure out when/where he might as well ship his phone home and say those few ounces. :rolleyes:
Its back to AT&T ways. From what I can tell, AT&T only works well around civilization. Coverage map shows it does not carry a signal around a lot of the TN section. Around me, it only goes a far as Hampton. Then drops off fast.

Alltel and Verizon seem to be the best. Sprint/Virgin work only the major highways near trail.

River Runner
04-23-2008, 00:07
I found Cingular will not work at all in Damascus. This was in town and nearby hills. Coverage was spotty from Springer to Franklin area, but usually available on at least some mountain tops.

Old Grouse
04-23-2008, 11:34
AT&T/Cingular is very spotty in the area of CT through which the AT passes.

trippclark
04-23-2008, 12:22
Certainly this varies from state to state along the A.T., however I have found more coverage on the trail in central Virginia (the part that I have been hiking since the merger) than I did on the trail south of there (before the merger) where I almost never got a signal. In the areas that I have traveled -- A.T. and other travel -- since the merger I have noticed a significant improvement in the aount of coverage that I receive. Formerly, I complained that I onlyhad coverage in metro areas and within 2 miles of an interstate highway. This is no longer the case for me. YMMV.

Evil Eye
04-23-2008, 16:05
Had Cingular/AT&T during my thruhike last year. Seldom had service as good as my Verizon hiking mates - but do think it got a bit better the farther north I got - where the trail is often closer to civilization.
I'd describe coverage as "spotty" most of the way. As has been said - with little rhyme or reason. Do not remember any really long multi-day sections without service - @ Whitehouse Landing in the 100 mile wilderness I got service! Certainly wasn't planning on that.
Worst I remember was SMNP, Hot Springs & Damascus - sections you're past.
Verizon had some issues too - usually I had service when they did not and vice/versa(sp). If you have a need - other hikers will share -

Ron Haven
04-24-2008, 14:46
I don't know how it is sinse they merged with AT&T but I owned 2 cingular businesses in Franklin and Sylva,NC in the past and I sad as I am to admit it,It was the worst coverage of any company that I know.