PDA

View Full Version : Lost thu-hike pictures, 4 memory cards at NOC

Powder River
04-21-2008, 18:55
I am desperate to find some memory cards I lost while at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, NC this weekend. I was carrying them around in my pocket and I'm sure they must have fallen out. There were four cards in a tiny black Sandisk case, and on one of the cards were all of my pictures from Neels Gap to Fontana Dam for my thru hike.

In addition to the images, the memory cards cost a lot of money. There are two 4 gb extreme III SDHC cards and two 2gb ultra II SD cards (Sandisk brand). It would be really nice to get these back. I would rather have the pictures back than the cards, you would just hope that anybody taking these home would take a look on them and realize that someone's irreplacable memories are on it.

While I was at NOC we ate at the restaurant, shopped at the outfitter, and camped along the river to the right along the train tracks. Where it could have fallen out could be anybody's guess.

If anybody finds these, please send me an email at jeffreydse [@] yahoo.com (remove the brackets and spaces). Also, my trail name is Powder River if anybody can find me on the trail that would work too.

We went there today to have a look around, and registered a lost item report at the information desk. I just wish there was another way to get the information out, such as a bulliten board or something. If anybody has any information on that sort of thing let me know. Thank you.

Blissful
04-21-2008, 19:35
So sorry to hear this, hope they turn up. Miracles can happen for sure!

WalkingStick75
04-21-2008, 20:53
I lost a 1GB SD in Maine this last year, lucky for me it was my second so not pictures were on it yet. What I am doing now is creating a .txt file with my name and address and the promise of an reward for the safe return.

Hope yours disks turn up.

Ghosthiker
04-22-2008, 05:39
Hope someone honest finds them and they get them back to you.

What I am doing now is creating a .txt file with my name and address and the promise of an reward for the safe return.
I've heard to take a picture of your info and protect it so it can't be deleted, too. Place a copy on your camera and one each card.

Flush2wice
04-22-2008, 08:27
Hope you find them.
I know how you feel. The postal service lost 3 rolls (36 exposures each) of slide film I shot from NY to Mt. Washington. Then about 10 years ago I gave the best remaining slides to a friend to scan and he lost them all. I still have a few shots of trees and rocks though.

88BlueGT
04-22-2008, 11:17
Wow, thats ashame. I wish you the best of luck in finding them.

TTT.

And if anyone finds a clear pedometer on the fire road to the reservoir from sunfish pond at the DWG (NJ), let me know lol

X-LinkedHiker
04-22-2008, 12:16
The pedometers cost 5 bucks, unless you're interested in the step count. Ha ha.

hootyhoo
04-22-2008, 19:04
Sorry it happened, but at least you are on the trail. Don't be bummed. Its just part of your trip, and I hope it is a wonderful experience.

Philippe
04-22-2008, 19:12
Hope someone honest finds them and they get them back to you.
I've heard to take a picture of your info and protect it so it can't be deleted, too. Place a copy on your camera and one each card.

Great idea, Ghosthiker. Thanks for that tool.

Flush2wice
04-22-2008, 21:52
I found a film camera on the trail in Maine in 1991 and used it for the rest of my hike. When I got home and processed the film I was able to identify and track down the owner from one of the images. It showed his kid with a t-shirt that I traced to an Atlanta Little League. I returned his camera and all his photos and thanked him for leaving me a camera because mine broke in the Whites.
So you may get your images back even if it takes months.